UFC 148: Silva vs. Sonnen II Thread

The Natural

Who wins and how?  

59 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Every time this thread is bumped and I open it, I'm always shitting myself that there's going to be news of Chael or Anderson getting injured. This is easily my most anticipated fight in years and with the current climate of everyone in the sport getting injured on an almost daily basis, it's terrifying that at any moment this match could fall apart. I imagine Dana feels the same way multiplied by a million.

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Every time this thread is bumped and I open it, I'm always shitting myself that there's going to be news of Chael or Anderson getting injured. This is easily my most anticipated fight in years and with the current climate of everyone in the sport getting injured on an almost daily basis, it's terrifying that at any moment this match could fall apart. I imagine Dana feels the same way multiplied by a million.

I feel the same way.

Every time this thread is bumped and I open it, I'm always shitting myself that there's going to be news of Chael or Anderson getting injured.

There are rumours of Anderson suffering from a knee injury, which he's giving time to heal apparently. I have a feeling if it's not close to 100% by fight time we may see him pulled from the fight by his team.

I hope not though.

• Paid Members

It would be a disaster if one of them got injured and pulled out this close to the fight. What are we, 3 weeks away? There wouldn't even really be time for a replacement.

The 3 biggest potential fights building over the last 6-12 months were GSP vs Diaz, JDS vs Reem and Silva vs Sonnen 2. The first 2 falling through was bad enough, a hat-trick would be mega shit.

• Paid Members

Given the choice, say if Anderson's knee is fucked, I'd defo rather it get delayed and have it when they're both healthy. It would suck right now but I hate injuries discrediting a fighter's win and just generally clouding the answer of who the better fighter is.

But it's never that simple Fighters rarely ever go in at 100% on fight night so it's impossible to plan these things. Delaying the fight until they're both healthy could mean it ends up not happening at all if one guy loses while the other is on the shelf. But if Anderson's knee is in a state where he feels he doesn't have a good shot at winning, then he should pull out.

The thing is if Chael wins this rematch there's already a cloud over it because of this knee injury rumour. So whether his knee is bad or not Chael won't be given credit and people will say 'well Anderson's knee was knackered'. And if Anderson wins they'll be going 'LOL he beat Chael on one leg'. Chael looks like crap either way.

I think there is a small chance win or lose this will be the last time we say Anderson. I have been told from a third hand source (so could be bollocks) that his body is not in good nick these days and is on the verge of winding down. At 37, age is also not on his side, there are not many Randy Coutures out there and years of sparring at Chute Boxe spell out a short lifespan.

Anderson strikes me as following the path of Lennox Lewis and actually retiring and sticking to it rather than the Chuck's and Ortiz's of the world who carry on even when their skills/body are on the decline. I cannot see Anderson doing what his boxing Sugar Ray Leonard counterpart did and coming back 4 or 5 times either.

Now is a good time to retire, his legacy is secure and other than another win over Chael fight, there is not much to enhance it. Bisping, Lombard and Munoz are very good fighters, but when you have Hendo, Franklin x2, Okami, Marquart, Belfort and Sonnen on your resume and a amazing undeafeted streak you really do not need them. He is the best Middleweight of all time, and right now the best fighter of all time.

No one for years will come close to him at 185lbs, maybe Jon Jones will threaten his greatest of all time status, but there is not much he can really do about that, a fight between them is unlikely to happen.

If he wins in the next few weeks, he can go out on top or maybe have a farewell match in Brazil against Bisping or someone, if he loses, he may want a rubber match or he may recognize his time is up. He is on top of such a high mountain I cannot see him losing against say Sonnen and then losing against Bisping in a number 1 contenders fight and then carrying on, he may even see any fight other without the belt at stake as beneath him at this stage.

This is the biggest PPV fight since Lesnar vs Mir 2, and the biggest fight under 205lbs ever in MMA, even the golden years of 170lbs with GSP/Hughes/Penn do not come close. UFC may face a very uncertain future commercial and critically, but this fight for one night should put those worries to sleep.

I think Ortiz vs Forrest will serve as the co-main event, which I do not think is bad for a co-main event, espicially as it is one of their biggest stars last fight.

Sadly, Stun Gun vs Maia will open the night up, I think that will be a snoozefest. Cote vs Le and the Easton fight should be exciting though.

I think Ortiz vs Forrest will serve as the co-main event, which I do not think is bad for a co-main event, espicially as it is one of their biggest stars last fight.

Yeah I think we'll be getting that now. Shame injuries changed the card. I was really looking forward to Cruz/Faber III and then Faber/Barao. It's only about the main event for me now. The July card is one of the biggest in the UFC calendar year with the Superbowl weekend, Memorial weekend, and the last show of the year.

Agreed, the fans always really loud as well. The Vegas crowd is great.

I would have liked Faber vs Barao on this card as well, but thats what happens when you put too many PPV's on in a small period of time.

My turn to agree with you. It's also led to the bad injury run.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

This got mentioned in the MMA news thread but here's the full quote from Anderson's outburst on the conference call;

"Chael is a criminal, he is a criminal. He has been convicted of crimes and he doesn't deserve to be inside the Octagon. When the time is right, I am going to break his face and every one of his teeth in his mouth. Playtime is over, the jokes are over. I am going to beat his ass out of the UFC. He is never going to want to fight again after I am done with him. It doesn't matter if I am on bottom, side or top. Chael is going to get his ass kicked like never before. What I do inside the Octagon is going to change the image of the sport. I am going to make sure his legs are broke and arms are broke he will not be able to walk out by himself. I know he is listening; no more shit talking, it is on now. I'm going to make him pay and make him eat everything he said about myself and my country. I'm going to make sure he does not disrespect any other fighter. I'm going to beat him like his parents should have beat him to have manners. He can say whatever he wants, but I am not playing anymore. It will be the same like the first fight. He walked out the loser and this time he is going to walk out the loser. The only difference is that this time he is going to have to visit a plastic surgeon after the fight."

Jesus. Here's Chael's response;

"I got two words for him. He says he's gonna break my face in? I got two words for him. Medium rare."

378572_10150366346512352_250545367351_8562046_1384525670_n.jpg

silva_anderson_487_381.jpg

Can't fucking wait!

Anderson finally being a good boy & doing what his paymaster's tell him to. Bit surprised tbh

For Sonnen's sake let's hope so. If he has legit gotten tired of Chael chipping away at him and has actually gotten angry we could be in for a bit of a horror show on the 7th.

Archived