UFC 148: Silva vs. Sonnen II Thread

The Natural

Who wins and how?  

59 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
The truth is, before he started his Superstar Graham schtick he was regarded as a mid to upper level middleweight.

not mentioning his recent wins over (at the time, top 5 Middleweights) Nate Marquadt, Yushin Okami, Brian Stann (exception) & Michael Bisping?

The truth is, before he started his Superstar Graham schtick he was regarded as a mid to upper level middleweight.

not mentioning his recent wins over (at the time, top 5 Middleweights) Nate Marquadt, Yushin Okami, Brian Stann (exception) & Michael Bisping?

Before he started his pro wrasslin' gimmick he had decision wins over Okami & Marquardt, which is why I refered to him as a mid to upper level middleweight.

Look, I'm not saying that the guy isn't good, what I'm saying is that better middleweight fighters than him have been despatched by a serious injury-free Anderson Silva. Does he have a chance to win? Of course he does. Every fighter at that level has a chance.

What I take issue with is the kind of opinion that was put forth in that post I addressed originally;

Agree, Chael is going for the takedown as soon as each round begins and he will get it. Andersons only shot is to catch him coming or catch him standing in the 10-30 seconds before the takedown attempt comes. After that he's going to be on his back for the whole round where he has to hope Chael gets sloppy and can catch him in a submission again.

To suggest that Anderson's "only shot" is to catch him coming in or within 10-30 seconds before a takedown, or if Chael gets "sloppy" is so fucking ridiculous it's unreal. Sonnen can be at the top of his game and still get subbed by someone like Anderson.

I posted evidence that he's been caught before, so he can be caught again.

Before he started his pro wrasslin' gimmick he had decision wins over Okami & Marquardt, which is why I refered to him as a mid to upper level middleweight.

Look, I'm not saying that the guy isn't good, what I'm saying is that better middleweight fighters than him have been despatched by a serious injury-free Anderson Silva. Does he have a chance to win? Of course he does. Every fighter at that level has a chance.

What I take issue with is the kind of opinion that was put forth in that post I addressed originally;

Agree, Chael is going for the takedown as soon as each round begins and he will get it. Andersons only shot is to catch him coming or catch him standing in the 10-30 seconds before the takedown attempt comes. After that he's going to be on his back for the whole round where he has to hope Chael gets sloppy and can catch him in a submission again.

To suggest that Anderson's "only shot" is to catch him coming in or within 10-30 seconds before a takedown, or if Chael gets "sloppy" is so fucking ridiculous it's unreal. Sonnen can be at the top of his game and still get subbed by someone like Anderson.

I posted evidence that he's been caught before, so he can be caught again.

I believe that Sonnen's top game is good enough to not be subbed unless he gets sloppy. A decent level grappler can lay on top of someone and not get subbed. For example I'm a white belt in BJJ, I have a black belt at my gym and a couple of purple belts. I know I can lie on top of them for 25 minutes and very likely not get subbed. Only if I was to try and work for a submission myself would I get caught/sweeped. As long as Sonnen doesn't try anything fancy and just stays low and close to Anderson he can survive the 5 rounds.

Since the last title fight I'm sure most of what Sonnen has worked on is working on top and not getting subbed.

Sonnen also know has a good BJJ tutor in Vinny Malagares.

Whoever was tutoring him in BJJ at Team Quest, I doubt they were as good at BJJ as Vinny. I think Sonnen will be a bit more savvy with his submission defense this time around.

• Paid Members

I saw people online kind of calling for them to get Cote back. Makes sense, he's gone on a little run outside the UFC. Should be good. It's like the Wand/Le fight again, Le's got the better technical striking but if Cote can land something big he has the power to put him out.

Despite all the injuries and swapping fights about, this show still looks top notch to me. They've managed to keep the main card pretty stacked.

Silva vs Sonnen 2

Faber vs Barao

Ortiz vs Griffin 3

Le vs Cote

Maia vs Stun Gun

Can't complain at that.

This is a big night for the UFC, it is the most hyped and talked about event in years. Last year business wise on PPV the UFC saw a dip from 2009/2010 peak, this year so far has been more of the same. Jon Jones vs Rashad aside no event has come anywhere close to the 1 Million mark with 700k, only GSP and Brock came close last year bringing in 800k a piece, still very strong and more than Wrestlemania domestically.

This is the best chance to show that they can still do the really big numbers over 1 million. If they cannot do it here, it is safe to say the boom period is over for PPV, I believe the UFC have oversaturated the market and should do less shows. Lesser fighters should be relegated to Strikeforce as that should be used I believe as a halfway house. Less fight night and PPV's would allow less dilluted cards like the fight night this weekend which will draw a horrid rating.

Even as a UFC fan, I struggle these days, I gave up on TUF and TUF Brazil, they were not bad shows but both offered nothing I had not seen before. The format is old and needs more of a overhaul than just switching it live. I would even scrap the series for a year or two. There seem to be too many fight night shows as well, all of which have pulled poor ratings. The last FOX show had no chance without a name headliner.

UFC 146 was a great show, and proof the UFC still has the old magic, the Primetime for both Diaz vs Condit and JDS vs Mir where done to perfection. They need a very good countdown show for Sonnen vs Silva, no doubt Sonnen will promote his arse off in the build up.

Important times for the UFC indeed, with the FOX deal they need to be very careful this next year if they want to continue to grow.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived