UFC 148: Silva vs. Sonnen II Thread

The Natural

Who wins and how?  

59 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Chael vs Anderson is in my opinion the biggest fight in UFC history.

It may not break the record of PPV buys that UFC 100 set, but it will be fucking massive on PPV I say about 1 million buys, domesticially it should do better than Wrestlemania.

The thing about it is, you have the best MMA fighter of all time facing the most charasmatic trash talker in MMA history. They are made for each other like the best of feuds are, Senna/Prost, Ali/Frasier.

The first fight was somthing out of a movie, it was that dramatic. The road to the rematch has been long, almost 2 years and both have had a lot happen to them inbetween. The PED and Real Estate scandel with Sonnen and the further cementing of his legacy with Silva. It is set up almost to perfection.

I would rather it be help in a soccer stadium, but when we live in a world where it seems its near impossible to get Floyd Mayweather and Pac Man in the same ring togeather, I am just thankful that in MMA the big fights do happen. I have not looked forward to a MMA fight this much since Mir vs Lesnar 2, and I think my anticipation may surpass that come fight week.

I cannot fucking wait!

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply
^This. Sonnen's a conman, as proven by his fraud conviction. He's talking shit & people are believing him, the fact he's a convicted fraudster is proof enough that he's not 'likeable'. Not to mention the fact he was a 'young Republican', remember that oft repeated clip of William Hague giving that speech at the Tory conference? The US equivalent of that! The man's a cunt.

I do not agree with the his politics and can see that he has made some stupid mistakes, but I do not think he is that bad a human being. Now I dont know him and have never met him, but if you watch how he treats fans in Q and A's and how kind he is to young kids he teaches, I do not think he is a complete cunt.

That Frye quote is made better by him clearly meaning to say 'consistent' and not 'competent', and then calling Chael stupid. Clearly he needs a scriptwriter.

I'm torn with this. As an MMA fan I'd like Silva to win, but as wrestling has given me a immutable love of workers I'd love Sonnen to win and cut his most ridiculous promo yet.

• Paid Members
^This. Sonnen's a conman, as proven by his fraud conviction. He's talking shit & people are believing him, the fact he's a convicted fraudster is proof enough that he's not 'likeable'. Not to mention the fact he was a 'young Republican', remember that oft repeated clip of William Hague giving that speech at the Tory conference? The US equivalent of that! The man's a cunt.

I do not agree with the his politics and can see that he has made some stupid mistakes, but I do not think he is that bad a human being. Now I dont know him and have never met him, but if you watch how he treats fans in Q and A's and how kind he is to young kids he teaches, I do not think he is a complete cunt.

I agree. He does absolutely come off as a really sound bloke from what I've seen of his interactions with people. Making shady decisions doesn't automatically mean you're a cunt. Either way, we've all got an opinion and an invested interest in this fight, so Chael is doing his job. This will definitely be one of the biggest fights in the sports history.

• Paid Members

Frye is not the only one saying that Chael doesn't write his own stuff, Dan Hardy has been saying that for a long while now as well. Maybe his friend in Chicago has been helping him with his promos.

I for one cant stand Sonnen. I find him an embarassment to the sport for many of the reasons listed above, but also for his promo style as well. As noted by what Dangerously said, he's doing a WWE style thing and we are trying to legitamize the sport and he's carrying on like Billy Graham? It doesn't help nor does his law and rule breaking.

Didn't Silva or someone say in the first fight he wanted to take Sonnen out by submission, thats why the fight went so long? This time he has said he's going to take him out as fast as possible. I hope he does. Then maybe Bisping will get his shot, since for my money he beat Sonnen in their fight anyway.

• Paid Members
As noted by what Dangerously said, he's doing a WWE style thing and we are trying to legitamize the sport

We? As in?

Sorry, to clarify he said that Sonnens promo style got him interested in his last fight, however that didn't last, but peole are likening MMA to pro wrestling which is what the sport is about.

• Paid Members

In fairness, at Q&A's & when he's being filmed he's at work, working for a company he owes a lot to seeing as he's still got a job after his previous 'discretions'. Saying he comes across well when you've seen him on TV is like people being surprised that Peter Kay's a bit of twat in real life after he was so funny & charming on a TV chat show.

As noted by what Dangerously said, he's doing a WWE style thing and we are trying to legitamize the sport

We? As in?

Sorry, to clarify he said that Sonnens promo style got him interested in his last fight, however that didn't last, but peole are likening MMA to pro wrestling which is what the sport is about.

Ah right, with you.

I'm kind of in that boat as I went quite a while without being able to see any UFC but hearing about Sonnen and his antics made my ears prick up and take notice.

• Paid Members
Didn't Silva or someone say in the first fight he wanted to take Sonnen out by submission, thats why the fight went so long? This time he has said he's going to take him out as fast as possible. I hope he does. Then maybe Bisping will get his shot, since for my money he beat Sonnen in their fight anyway.

I don't think that's fair to say the only reason the fight went that long is because Anderson wanted to submit him.

He did say he wanted the submission. There was even footage of him in 'Like Water' promising Big Nog he would submit Chael for disrespecting the Nogs.

He went in wanting to tap Chael and it worked out but I think if Silva had the chance to KO Chael he would have. He really went for the KO in round 3 or 4 with some hard kicks and elbows. There's no way he held back just so he could tap Chael. Especially how the fight was playing out, he was losing the rounds, he'd have taken the win anyway he could. He probably knew a submission was more likely anyway given he knew he'd most likely have to fight off his back a lot against Chael.

I'm seeing a lot of people (not so much here but other sites) saying Anderson will just breeze through Chael this time and KO him in a round and stuff. I don't get why people seem to think Anderson will suddenly magically be able to stuff Sonnen's takedowns. As if the TRT was 100% of Sonnen's success the first time. TRT or not, Sonnen's still a great wrestler and strong as fuck.

He did cheat in the first fight no doubt and it was wrong there's no excuse. But he's still gonna pose a lot of problems when you consider their styles. His biggest strength is Anderson's only slight weakness. And vice versa.

It's a great fight style wise. They both have a very realistic shot of beating each other.

• Paid Members
he's doing a WWE style thing and we are trying to legitamize the sport and he's carrying on like Billy Graham?

How is creating an interest in a fight a bad thing? And how does it take legitimacy away? Combat sports have always had their fair share of colourful characters and if Dana and Co. thought that Sonnen's wrestling style promos and general bullshit were bad for business, they wouldn't be pushing this whole thing as hard as they are.

In truth, the Shit that Sonnen spouts (and probably doesn't believe 99% of it) will see this as one of the biggest shows ever in terms of buys, and get more people interested in the sport on a whole based on the coverage it will get.

Good for business I say.

• Paid Members

We? As in?

For god's sake will you grow a set of balls please.

People are not likening MMA to pro wrestling because of Chael Sonnen. Trash talk exists in every single combat sport on the planet and has done for many many years.

Please watch this:-

Chael Sonnen is not doing anything exclusive to pro wrestling, he is doing what is every promoters wet dream, and that's selling a fight unlike anyone else in MMA.

He must be doing something right as people are talking about this fight being the biggest in MMA history.

I can accept Mike's debate of thinking Sonnen is a tit for his criminal offences, but saying shit like Sonnen is detrimental to the legitimacy of MMA is a complete joke.

• Paid Members
Chael Sonnen is not doing anything exclusive to pro wrestling, he is doing what is every promoters wet dream, and that's selling a fight unlike anyone else in MMA.

I agree with this bit 100%. Muhammad Ali did it for years, it never hurt the legitimacy of boxing and he's looked back at as one of the biggest attractions in all of sports.

Grabbing a microphone and mouthing off isn't exclusive to pro wrestling. He's borrowed certain stuff from wrestling and outright stole from Billy Graham but who gives a shit really, it was entertaining. At the end of it all it leads to a legit fight against the best fighter in the sport. And if people were so against it they wouldn't buy tickets to Chael's fights. Knowing how to talk and promote clearly works whether you're a pro wrestler, boxer, MMA fighter or actually, any job that involves you being on TV.

If you don't like his style fair enough, but you'll still tune in hoping Anderson Silva shuts him up. Either way his talking did it's job and got you interested.

It's better than the indifference most MMA fans had towards him back when he was fighting Trevor Prangley on the prelims and no-one gave a fuck. Now he's a PPV headliner, title contender and instead of tapping to Jeremy Horn for a few grand he's tapping to Anderson Silva for main event money.

I don't think Chael's a bad guy, he's simply found a way to make himself relevant and make himself more money. Talking shit has done wonders for his career.

In fairness, at Q&A's & when he's being filmed he's at work, working for a company he owes a lot to seeing as he's still got a job after his previous 'discretions'. Saying he comes across well when you've seen him on TV is like people being surprised that Peter Kay's a bit of twat in real life after he was so funny & charming on a TV chat show.

I get what you are saying.

But a lot of people have commented on what a nice guy he is, sending messages to fans on Twitter and like I said helping kids in his local community. Bisping even said he liked Chael when he actually met him, plus he is the one who has stayed out of the Team Quest bust up and has stayed friends with all parties.

Chael the real life man may not be perfect, but I do not think he is an outright cunt. It is funny you mentioned Peter Kay because its rare people say that he is a nice guy in real life, I have heard fans and people who have met him say he is a twat, its rare you here that about the real life Chael. The Chael that plays up to "undeafeted and undisputed" on the other hand gets a lot of stick, but its not the real life man really.

EDIT: Chael gets lines from Roddy Piper and is close friends with Steve Austin (who is one of Chael's strength and conditioning coaches apperently)

Archived