Match of the Year 2012 Thread

Forrest

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just to bring this thread back to life - I think there has been better matches out there but the TLC match between Greg Excellent and Mia Yim from CZW Aerial Assualt deserves a mention.

Ditto That! Other matches from CZW that deserve a mention; Drake Younger vs. Sami Calihan from Aerial Assault, and Sami Calihan vs. AR Fox from the Best of the Best Finals (Although it didn't measure up too their match from Cage of Death 13, it was still an awesome match!)

I'm also quite surprised that Austin Aries vs Bobby Roode from Destination X hasn't been mentioned more often

Anyway, here goes my top 5 matches:

1. Cena vs. Rock (Wrestlemania)

2. Undertaker vs. HHH (Wrestlemania)

3. Aries vs. Roode (Destination X)

4. 6 Man Tag from Kurt Russell Reunion 3

5. Calihan vs. Fox (BOB 11)

• Paid Members

Absolutely. Those three, and the three big matches at Mania are the 6 clear ahead of everything else that I've seen this year (not that I've seen a great deal). No point in me putting what order I'd have them as it still changes all the time. Today I'll say HHH VS Taker is my favourite- I've already said my piece about that cracking match earlier in this thread, or the Mania thread, who knows. But I have.

Punk VS Menry (Raw), Bryan VS Show (Smackdown) and the Smackdown elimination chamber are my next favourite three.

• Paid Members
Punk VS Menry (Raw)

This was a GREAT match. It was a lovely little mini-feud they had going that I was hoping would morph into something bigger. I'm surprised at how decent Punk is at working matches with guys like Menry and The Big Show, actually.

Punk VS Menry (Raw)

This was a GREAT match. It was a lovely little mini-feud they had going that I was hoping would morph into something bigger. I'm surprised at how decent Punk is at working matches with guys like Menry and The Big Show, actually.

Daniel Bryan is the same. He had some quality matches with Menry and Big Show at the end of last year, and he's got great chemistry with Kane in this feud.

• Paid Members

Agreed, Henry winning the world title was my moment of last year, it was fantastic and a great match, too. They booked him amazingly well during that whole run. And the pop he got when he won was fantastic, too:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4Yvw9T2Lzw&t=17m58s

• Paid Members

Yeah he was just getting nothing but great reactions and every match, promo and angle he was in was fucking brilliant.

His promo when he won the world title is probably my favorite promo of all time actually. So many of todays WWE promo's just seem utterly ridiculous, scripted, contrived and unnatural (Shaemus is a perfect example of this). This promo though was just a pissed off beast of a man proving to the world that he was the best. When he screamed "And I'm never EVER losing this title!" it was incredibly hard not to believe him.

• Paid Members

I haven't seen much WWE this year but I did catch Punk vs Menry thanks to whoever posted it in this thread at the time. Great match. I never saw Mark Henry in that main eventer light before just because he was off the radar and they weren't doing much with him when I last watched. I think it's great that when he finally got his chance he grabbed it by the bollocks. Fair play.

My match of the year so far (from the limited amount of WWE I've seen) is Cena vs Lesnar. Outstanding stuff from both. Reminded me of the Sting vs Vader matches from the early 90s with the lengthy beatdown from Lesnar and then the fiery comeback.

Cena is fucking brilliant, whenever I do dip back in he always seems to be tearing it up no matter who he's in there with. From Lesnar to Punk to Menry to Michaels, all sorts of different styles, shapes and sizes. Even going back to his cracking matches with Umaga and Lashley years ago.

Anyone who still tries to say 'Cena sux', I always point them to the Lashley match. That was better than it had any right to be and Cena worked a miracle that night in my opinion. Lashley's a great athlete but I don't remember him ever having another match I enjoyed at all. And Cena dragged a great match out of him.

Sorry, back on topic. MOTY is Cena/Lesnar for me so far. Although I did really enjoy Bryan vs Sheamus from the same show and Taker vs HHH and Cena vs Rock from Wrestlemania.

• Paid Members

EDIT: RE Menry

Oh god, yeah. He the best in the company on the mic last year. Nobody else sounded that convincing. With Sheamus not even managing to sound convincing about his bezzie mate who pushed him to the world title retiring on Smackdown last week, Menry's left a big hole. Cena has his on-days, Punk's consistent enough now he's kicked the insider stuff that was bombing, but nobody sounded more like a person than Mark Henry. He was just a big, mean dude who happened to be in the business of beating people up. Who'd have thought he'd end up being one of the best things in WWE?

This is a tad late, and probably a bit of a dubious one but I'm going to pimp LA Park/Electroshock vs. Jeff Jarrett/Kurt Angle. It contains some of the worst chain wrestling ever, Kurt Angle shows he doesn't have a clue how to pace a match and somebody sells an ankle lock by clutching their knee but that crowd cared. And I mean really cared. Karen getting drenched, popcorn scattered all over the place, LA Park busting out some of the coolest gear any wrestler has ever arrived in and the response to the finish is incredible.

Archived