Match of the Year 2012 Thread

Forrest

Haven't watched WWE properly for years, but I was seriously impressed with CM Punk vs. Mark Henry. I never realised how good Henry could be and I loved the interaction he had with Punk throughout the match when he kept on the assault. The only gripe I had was that stupid "yes...ooooooooooh yes!" shit from the crowd.

Tempted to buy a "Hall of Pain" t-shirt now too.

Colour me surprised. Any more from Henry I should be looking into from the past 4/5 years?

Henry's series with Big Show (Mostly their Vengenance and Survivor Series matches) were really well-recieved. It would be a good place to start.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

flicked on for about 30 secs about 15 mins in to see both men no selling each other's moves including one which was basically a neck drop, ROH - from what I have seen - is a joke and I have never understood the love for it

• Paid Members

Meltzer's clearly lost his fucking mind. Even with so-called 5 star matches that I have seen that I don't agree with, I can see why they are there. I can even see why that ROH Japanese tag team flip-fest from a few years ago got 5 stars even though I hate it.

But what am I looking at here? I just don't SEE what is 5 stars about this match at all. I just see the usual ROH staples of no-selling high impact moves, loads of knee strikes and so on. I think Elgin's got potential but bollocks.

Also, Nigel McGuinness is just horrible on commentary.

In other words, not seconded.

flicked on for about 30 secs about 15 mins in to see both men no selling each other's moves including one which was basically a neck drop, ROH - from what I have seen - is a joke and I have never understood the love for it

Exactly the same here. I don't get it, it borders on not even being proper pro wrestling. Within 30 seconds Elgin spills over the top to sit on the apron and just waits on a kick to the back? What on earth has happened in the 30 seconds to phase him so much he couldnt move? Then watching Richards march him around each side of the ring just to boot him once and then move to the next side. All within the first minute! Its like wrestling with fast forward on. And its not even as if they have short matches. Maybe if they learned to get more out of stuff they wouldn't fuck themselves up so much. Horseshit imo.

Exactly the same here. I don't get it, it borders on not even being proper pro wrestling. Within 30 seconds Elgin spills over the top to sit on the apron and just waits on a kick to the back? What on earth has happened in the 30 seconds to phase him so much he couldnt move? Then watching Richards march him around each side of the ring just to boot him once and then move to the next side. All within the first minute! Its like wrestling with fast forward on. And its not even as if they have short matches. Maybe if they learned to get more out of stuff they wouldn't fuck themselves up so much. Horseshit imo.

That's how I've felt about most of the (admittedly very few) ROH shows I've watched over the last couple of years. When the company started it had a real variety to it's shows, but it seems to have gotten to a point where most of the top matches follow the same formula of just all-out silliness from the start, ending with a ridiculous number of false finishes. I tried an Evolve show and it was much the same. It's one thing if you think your top guys can go 25 minutes if there is good reason for it, but putting on 30+ minute matches that have no pacing or logic as the main event every single time is just burnout.

I have no problem with the hard-hitting, fast-paced style, but only when it's done well. That's why I watch Dragon Gate, you get the crazy spotfest sprint at the end, but the matches generally start out as calculated wrestling matches that then build the crowd up for the climax.

• 2 weeks later...

For 2012 thus far for me it's:

1. Brock Lesnar vs John Cena- Extreme Rules. A real brutal slugfest, Brock's first match in 8 years. Thoroughly enjoyed all but the ending.

2. Undertaker vs Triple H- Wrestlemania 28

3. Sheamus vs Daniel Bryan- Extreme Rules

4. Tyson Kidd vs Hunico- Superstars

5. Kane vs Randy Orton- Extreme Rules

I was lucky enough to see my top matches so far this year in person over Mania weekend, I admit that seeing them live has had an influence over my opinion on them.

1 - Richards v Elgin - Showdown In The Sun 2 - I agree with a lot of comments about non selling and the pacing of the match, at points it did start to take the piss but for sheer balls out action it reminded of an old school ROH title match from years gone by, the crowd by the end was on its feet from front to back, at times I couldn't believe the action I was seeing in front of me.

2 - Taker v Trip - Mania 28 - Again, I take on board a lot of the opinions on this match as I said them straight after Mania. It was almost a non wrestling match & the cell had minimal use but I have rarely seen a match with such drama & emotion. A true story telling master class. That atmosphere will stay with me for a very long time.

3 - Low Ki v PAC - DGUSA Open The Ultimate Gate - Some have said this didn't take off as it should as it was such a dream match, I thought considering everyone thought it would just be aerial moves all the way it was more enjoyable that they took in the full range of wrestling from mat to high spots.

I've only seen Taker V Trip on TV since and I thought it came across just as well, being able to hear what the wrestlers were saying to each other added to the match, I haven't seen the others on ippv yet but will do as soon as I get chance.

Mentions must go to the following matches too :

Mochizuki v Towaza - DGUSA Open The Ultimate Gate

Smackdown Elimination Chamber

Angle v Hardy - TNA Lockdown

EDIT : Just watched Bryan v Sheamus at Extreme Rules, Thats a match to add on.

Archived