Match of the Year 2012 Thread

Forrest

I agree too. I'm really not one to place TNA matches in my top matches, but it was defibitely one of the best matches this year. I would definitely add the 3 matches from Eztreme Rules. Brock vs. Cena a bollockhair behind Taker/Triple H for MOTY so far. Can't really pinpoint what it is that I preferred about HIAC, but Brock/Cena was stupendously good.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I mentioned Negro Casas vs. Blue Panther earlier in this thread as one people had pointed out. It was a match that left me quite cold, maybe it had been too hyped by the time I'd seen it, but while I could tell there was a good match going on it didn't do much for me. That said, I'm nominating Negro Casas vs. Angel de Oro. This one's going to go under the radar a bit, Oro isn't the name that Panther and I have a feeling that even those who watch it probably won't consider it. I doubt I'll still hold it in high regard by the end of the year, but it did more for me than the aforementioned match and so I suppose it deserves consideration. Negro is really awesome in this and is probably the best rudo of the year from what I've seen (although there's been a two or three month gap in my viewing). Despite this, or perhaps slightly because of this, he is one of the most popular men in CMLL. And that leads to the two stories told in this match. Not only is Casas more experianced than his opponent, as he shows through out, but he's also got the crowd on his side and that bothers the technico Angel de Oro all the way through and Casas really plays up on it. It's also one of those matches to show people who think all lucha is is endless dives. This match is also better than the Blue Panther one because it involves Periquito squawking at the camera and then essentially telling the camera man to flap off.

• Paid Members

I'm probably going to take a shoeing for this, but the match I've thought was best from what I've seen so far this year has been Tanahashi v Okada. I've not seen Okada v Naito yet.

I'm probably going to take a shoeing for this, but the match I've thought was best from what I've seen so far this year has been Tanahashi v Okada. I've not seen Okada v Naito yet.

I liked Tanahashi vs. Okada but Okada vs. Naito is better, it's brilliant. Check it out ASAP.

1.brock v cena extreme rules2.taker v hhh wrestlemania3.rock v cena wrestlemania4.shemus v daniel bryan extreme rules5.punk v Jericho extreme rulesExtreme rules has wound up as one of my fav ppvs of all time!!

Lads, going to have to nominate Austin Aries vs Bully Ray from TNA's Sacrifice PPV. An absolute corker, who would have thought they'd work so well together?

They've been the two best things in TNA since I started watching again. I knew it was gonna be a belter.

I'd agree with the Austin Aries/Bully Ray match I wouldn't put it as the best match of the year but it surely was a great match. The two have just come leaps and bounds in the past year. The bump Aries took at the beginning of the match looked brutal. Only thing I'd like to have see was the X-Division title on the line in a similar feud as Nash Vs the X-Division (Possibly the best TNA angle of all time).

Three really good matches from the Negro Casas/Blue Panther fued, the latter two I would put highly on a list of top matches so far this year:

>Negro Casas, Mr Niebla and Volador Jr vs Blue Panther, La Sombra and La M

Seeing as nobody else has - Styles v Angle at Sacrifice.

Interesting setup in that there was no huge beef between them, but Styles was frustrated by the suggestions he's been boning Dixie Carter, and obviously set out to try and out-wrestle Angle to show he was focussed on the job.

I guess I'm a sucker for this sort of match - start out with a bit of chain wrestling, then move into more regular pro wrestling before a series of counter finishes. No stupid risky moments (aside from the moonsault), no foreign objects, no interference. Ended with mutual respect too which left the crowd happy.

To be honest, I was bored shitless by Angle/Styles. It had all the ingredients for a great match, but just left me completely cold. The commentators trying so hard to put it over as some sort of modern-day classic really didn't work for me. It went WAY too long.

Bully/Aries though, I would definitely put down as TNA MOTY. I've never really been massive on Aries, but after this and his match with Shelley, I've really been won over. He wipes the floor with everyone in the Main Event ranks, bar Roode and Bully, but even then he's an equal.

Roode/RVD was magic too.

Archived