Match of the Year 2012 Thread

Forrest

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I enjoyed Tyson vs. McGillicutty (God I hate typing that name) a lot, but I didn't think they were real stand outs, just a bit below the level of the two Hunico matches. I thought the work in the Hunico matches against Gabriel and especially Tyson offered something very fresh with lots of innovative work. Considering they were barely 10 minutes and will never get vignettes from the roster saying hilarious comments that it is the best match of all time, yet are receiving pretty widespread praise online I think thats awesome.

I'm gutted Masters isn't around to work a match with Hunico.

This might seem biased, but James Scott vs. BT Gunn is my #2 match of the year, behind Michael Elgin vs. Davey Richards.

Undertaker vs. Triple H follows both pretty closely. Then you have a bunch of contenders a bit behind. The six man tag from PWG KRIII. Masaaki Mochizuki vs. Akira Tozawa. Smackdown elimination chamber.

The Hunico vs Kidd match was no better or worse than most Midcard indy matches IMO.

I'd like it if you linked to a ten minute mid card indy match from this year that you feel is better. I feel everything they did and how they did it was way above your average Indy match.

• Moderators
Good idea! Might save Chest Rockwell some bother come December, too.

CM Punk v Mark Henry - Raw 2/4. Best Raw match of the year so far that I can remember. Not sure if the post-match beatdowns are allowed to count towards its quality, but they made up for the countout finish.

That was probably going to be my pick as well. Easily one of the best matches I've seen this year.

• Paid Members
It amazes me that we're in April and not had a MOTY thread so far, so I want to start one:

Pretty much the same thing as Post of the Year in Off-Topic, but with matches obviously. You see a great match? Post about it in here. Seconds and Thirds are encouraged.

My 4 of the year so far:

1. Undertaker vs. Triple H - Hell In A Cell - Wrestlemania 28:

It was my dream match ever since I watched the HIAC matches. It did not disappoint as YET AGAIN I doubted the streak. HBK was wonderful and that horrifying image of HHH trying to crush Undertaker's skull with the sledgehammer as he lay out cold will haunt me. Overall, the ultimate masterclass in story telling.

2. John Cena vs. The Rock - Wrestlemania 28:

They'd built it for a year and it was mad. HUGE doesn't cover it. A real clash of the titans, this generation's Rock/Hogan. I was totally on Cena's side throughout it all and it's just the epitome of what I want from wrestling, a big match feel.

3. Hunico vs. Tyson Kidd - WWE Superstars:

WHAT? Superstars isn't cracking the heights of last year anymore, but they do still have some blinding matches, particularly when Tyson Kidd's involved. This was the most inventive cruiserweight match I've seen in years and puts the X Division to shame. There was loads of inventive spots throughout the match and I don't think they even dived to the outside at any point. I love it when I see a big move that I've never encountered, and this match has loads of them.

4. Alex Shelley vs. Austin Aries - TNA Victory Road:

X Division's pretty shite at the moment, and I actually prefer Aion to Aries (although I know I'm in the minority on this). That said, this was a brilliant match. The best X Division match I've seen in ages, even if it had a whiff of Impact Zone Mutant baiting about it.

I really like Aries against Aion - was one of them matches that just excelled in so many ways

HIAC at 'Mania was not the spectacle I anticipated. There was no real suspense of reality like there was last year. HBK was brutal - he can't act or sell emotion and he really was too much. 80 chair shots doesn't make a great match in my opinion.

• Paid Members
Good idea! Might save Chest Rockwell some bother come December, too.

CM Punk v Mark Henry - Raw 2/4. Best Raw match of the year so far that I can remember. Not sure if the post-match beatdowns are allowed to count towards its quality, but they made up for the countout finish.

That was probably going to be my pick as well. Easily one of the best matches I've seen this year.

Yeah, that'd be up there for me too. After Punk treading a fine line in terms of likeability, feuding him with snivelling family-slurring Jericho was a good move, but sticking him in with angry shouty MENRY the night after a gruelling Wrestlemania match was a masterstroke. A full Punk/Henry feud would be great - a basic undertone of skill vs strength, some decent back-and-forth promos, some Laurinaitis shenanigans to spice things up, and a couple of guaranteed great PPV matches.

Others for me would be Hell in a Cell and the Smackdown Chamber. Nothing original to offer right now.

• Paid Members

So far:

1) Undertaker VS Triple H- Wrestlemania 28

2) CM Punk VS Chris Jericho- Wrestlemania 28

3) John Cena VS The Rock- Wrestlemania 28

4) Mark Henry VS CM Punk- Raw 2/4

5) Daniel Bryan VS Big Show- Smackdown, can't remember the date. When Show mowed down AJ.

6) Smackdown elimination chamber

Daniel Bryan MVP for me so far this year in-ring.

I gotta watch Punk vs. Henry, it's gotten a lot of praise.

You should. Really strong TV-style match. I'd say it was Punk's best match along with the Jericho one the night before since Survivor Series and one of Henry's best ever. Better than the Ziggler series. One thing I'd say in it's favour was the structure was actually tighter than in the Jericho match which seemed to stall for a while whereas there was this was straight down to business.

You could make a case for it being Henry's best match. Not sure if I'd say it was better than the best of the Henry/Mysterio matches but it was easily one of the better matches this year. If it was then it was down to Henry who just keeps getting better and better with age. Not saying Punk was 'carried' - far from it since he was really good here, but I don't think he brought as much to it as Mysterio did to those matches and I don't think he's as good at playing off Henry as Mysterio is/was. Then again, Mysterio is one of the best babyfaces ever so its hardly a knock.

Re. Cena/Rock being basic - that was actually exactly what I liked about the match.

After a slow start from WWE the matches these past few weeks have been of a high quality.

Elimination Chamber - Daniel Bryan

Archived