Match of the Year 2012 Thread

Forrest

It amazes me that we're in April and not had a MOTY thread so far, so I want to start one:

Pretty much the same thing as Post of the Year in Off-Topic, but with matches obviously. You see a great match? Post about it in here. Seconds and Thirds are encouraged.

My 4 of the year so far:

1. Undertaker vs. Triple H - Hell In A Cell - Wrestlemania 28:

It was my dream match ever since I watched the HIAC matches. It did not disappoint as YET AGAIN I doubted the streak. HBK was wonderful and that horrifying image of HHH trying to crush Undertaker's skull with the sledgehammer as he lay out cold will haunt me. Overall, the ultimate masterclass in story telling.

2. John Cena vs. The Rock - Wrestlemania 28:

They'd built it for a year and it was mad. HUGE doesn't cover it. A real clash of the titans, this generation's Rock/Hogan. I was totally on Cena's side throughout it all and it's just the epitome of what I want from wrestling, a big match feel.

3. Hunico vs. Tyson Kidd - WWE Superstars:

WHAT? Superstars isn't cracking the heights of last year anymore, but they do still have some blinding matches, particularly when Tyson Kidd's involved. This was the most inventive cruiserweight match I've seen in years and puts the X Division to shame. There was loads of inventive spots throughout the match and I don't think they even dived to the outside at any point. I love it when I see a big move that I've never encountered, and this match has loads of them.

4. Alex Shelley vs. Austin Aries - TNA Victory Road:

X Division's pretty shite at the moment, and I actually prefer Aion to Aries (although I know I'm in the minority on this). That said, this was a brilliant match. The best X Division match I've seen in ages, even if it had a whiff of Impact Zone Mutant baiting about it.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Good idea! Might save Chest Rockwell some bother come December, too.

CM Punk v Mark Henry - Raw 2/4. Best Raw match of the year so far that I can remember. Not sure if the post-match beatdowns are allowed to count towards its quality, but they made up for the countout finish.

On one hand within that list you have the most innovative lightweight match I've seen for years in Hunico/Tyson and the most basic level shell of a match with a couple finishers stuck in, in Rock vs. Cena. I enjoyed Rock/Cena, great atmosphere and big feel going in, but man I thought the match was basic as shit with nothing creative, probably a million times better live than on TV.

Best match I've seen this year is:

La Sombra vs. Negro Casas - CMLL 2/20

My two favourite matches so far from WWE are the aforementioned Superstars match and also the Hunico vs. Justin Gabriel (of all people) from Superstars 3/15.

I gotta watch Punk vs. Henry, it's gotten a lot of praise.

NJPW

Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Kazuchika Okada - 12/02/12

Kazuchika Okada vs Tetsuya Naito - 04/03/12

Dragon Gate

CIMA, Hulk, Tozawa, Horiguchi & Saito vs Shingo, YAMATO, Dragon Kid, Susumu & KAGETORA - Infinity 247

Hulk, Tozawa, Kong, Doi, Kanda, Kzy & Tomahawk T.T vs Mochizuki, Shingo, YAMATO, Yoshino, Dragon Kid, Susumu & Swann - Infinity 250

Hulk & Tozawa vs Susumu & KAGETORA - Infinity 252

On one hand within that list you have the most innovative lightweight match I've seen for years in Hunico/Tyson and the most basic level shell of a match with a couple finishers stuck in, in Rock vs. Cena. I enjoyed Rock/Cena, great atmosphere and big feel going in, but man I thought the match was basic as shit with nothing creative, probably a million times better live than on TV.

Best match I've seen this year is:

La Sombra vs. Negro Casas - CMLL 2/20

My two favourite matches so far from WWE are the aforementioned Superstars match and also the Hunico vs. Justin Gabriel (of all people) from Superstars 3/15.

I gotta watch Punk vs. Henry, it's gotten a lot of praise.

I can see where you're coming from with Rock/Hogan, but I never expected a classic technical match. Everybody wanted to see all the big spots we expect from both guys and that's what we got. The atmosphere was huge and the crowd was hot, which made it a list-worthy match.

And I have to agree that Hunico/Gabriel was a fantastic match too.

when was that Tyson Kidd vs Hunico match?

Last week, so the current episode of Superstars.

• Paid Members

Elimination Chamber - Daniel Bryan © defeated Santino Marella, Wade Barrett, Cody Rhodes, Big Show, and The Great Khali - 19/2

It started quite slowly but instantly picked up once Bryan started getting involved, when Show broke into his pod. The ending is a master class, Bryan showing his ability certainly isn't hot air and Santino playing the underdog as well as anybody can.

Tyson vs Hunico wasn't that great. Both Tyson vs McGuillicutty matches smoke it.

Matches of the year so far, off the top of my head;

The Undertaker vs Triple H - Wrestlemania 28

Smackdown Elimination Chamber - Elimination Chamber

CM Punk vs Jericho - Wrestlemania 28

The Rock vs John Cena - Wrestlemania 28

Special mention to CM Punk vs Mark Henry from last week too.

I'll second the following matches

Punk vs Henry 02042012 Raw.

Punk vs Jericho (Wrestlemania)

and add

ROH

Elgin vs Richards (Day2 of whatever the ROH show was called)

If this is to encompass all wrestling, Britwres gets its own award as well iirc so

Kris Travis vs Lionheart- I Quit (Blood Sweat and Beers)- PCW February

I said to my mate just a couple of days a go that Hunico vs. Tyson Kidd was an absolute joy to watch, so glad it's getting some love on here. Hunico is fast becoming a bit of a decent hand to have. I've seen him have another blinder with Justin Gabriel a few weeks a go, pulled a half decent effort out of Ezekiel Jackson and was part of the best Ted Dibiase singles match I've seen Ted have in the 4 years he's been on the WWE roster.

Has Hunico had a match with Tatsu or Barretta yet, because along with Kidd, those 3 are the top workers on Superstars.

It seems quite funny that, while Sin Cara botched his way onto the shelf, his stand-in replacement has went on to become a great workhorse who can pull a great match out of pretty much anyone he faces, much to the aplomb of the IWC.

Archived