Match of the Year 2012 Thread

Forrest

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For 2012 thus far for me it's:

1. Brock Lesnar vs John Cena- Extreme Rules. A real brutal slugfest, Brock's first match in 8 years. Thoroughly enjoyed all but the ending.

2. Undertaker vs Triple H- Wrestlemania 28

3. Sheamus vs Daniel Bryan- Extreme Rules

4. Tyson Kidd vs Hunico- Superstars

5. Kane vs Randy Orton- Extreme Rules

Wait, you'd put Orton/Kane there but not Punk/Jericho? Very odd choice imo.

I haven't been watching much over the past couple of months. There was an odd match a while back where LA Park and La Parka teamed up (which everyone hated for the obvious reasons) that I thought was kinda fun for their interactions. Although they need pretty much ignore their past. The LA Park vs. El Mesias match at last year's TripleMania was probably the only good match on the card, though not great. But then there was also the dissapointing match with Dr. Wagner. Rumour has it he might have a match with Jeff Jarrett at TripleMania which, if it does happen, I think will be a good laugh.

Personally I always look forward to a LA Park match. He's still good fun.

I'm gonna limit it to 20 when I have that many matches that I feel like putting in, but my list now looks like this...

1. Brock Lesnar vs. John Cena - WWE Extreme Rules

2. Six Man Tag - DG:USA Mercury Rising 2011

3. Michael Elgin vs. Davey Richards - ROH Showdown in the Sun Night Two

4. BT Gunn vs. James Scott - ICW Square Go

5. Kevin Steen vs. El Generico, Last Man Standing Match - ROH Showdown in the Sun Night One

6. Sheamus vs. Daniel Bryan, 2/3 Falls Match - WWE Extreme Rules

7. The Undertaker vs. Triple H, Hell in a Cell Match - WWE Wrestlemania XXVIII

8. Kurt Angle vs. Jeff Hardy - TNA Lockdown

9. Noam Dar vs. Andy Wild - ICW So's Yer Maw

10. Masaaki Mochizuki vs. Akira Tozawa - Dragon Gate USA : Open the Ultimate Gate

11. El Generico, PAC and Masato Yoshinno vs. Kevin Steen, Super Dragon and Akira Tozawa - PWG Kurt RussellReunion III

12. Kid Fite vs. Wolfgang vs. Lionheart - ICW Smells Like Teen Spirit

There's still a whole bunch recommended on this thread that I have to watch, so I hope to have my 20 really soon.

My current top ten:

1. The Undertaker vs. Triple H. WWE WrestleMania XXVIII, 1st April

2. John Cena vs. Brock Lesnar. WWE Extreme Rules, 29th April

3. Kazuchika Okada vs. Tetsuya Naito. NJPW, 4th March

4. Daniel Bryan vs. CM Punk. WWE Smackdown, 21st February

5. CM Punk vs. Chris Jericho. WWE Extreme Rules, 29th April

6. Sheamus vs. Daniel Bryan. WWE Extreme Rules, 29th April

7. Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Kazuchika Okada. NJPW, 12th February

8. Daniel Bryan vs. CM Punk. WWE RAW, 30th January

9. Jun Akiyama vs. Keiji Mutoh. AJPW, 20th March

10. CM Punk vs. Chris Jericho. WWE WrestleMania XXVIII, 1st April

• Paid Members

1) John Cena vs Brock Lesnar

2) Undertaker vs Triple H

3) Alex Shelley vs Austin Aries - Excellent match from Against All Odds that few will have seen, but its a fast paced blinder. To get the Impact Zone goons on their feet on a PPV is a special achievement as well. You should all watch it.

4) Sheamus vs Daniel Bryan from Extreme Rules

5) The Rock vs John Cena

3) Alex Shelley vs Austin Aries - Excellent match from Against All Odds that few will have seen, but its a fast paced blinder. To get the Impact Zone goons on their feet on a PPV is a special achievement as well. You should all watch it.

I had no idea this happened. Shelley really is excellent and these two always seem to gel well together. I'm gonna have to check this out.

Extreme Rules was a blinder for this thread. I watched Sheamus vs. Bryan and thought it would be incredible if anyone could top that anytime soon, perhaps all year. Then I watched Punk vs. Jericho and was amazed that they'd at least equalled it. Obviously then Cena vs. Brock topped both of them.

1) Brock vs. Cena - Extreme Rules

2) Bryan vs. Sheamus - Extreme Rules

3) Punk vs. Jericho - Extreme Rules

4) Undertaker vs. Triple H - Wrestlemania

5) Cena vs. Rock - Wrestlemania

• Paid Members

Kurt Angle v Jeff Hardy, at Lockdown, was quite good. I think 10 people watched it though.

Anyway...

1, Brock Lesnar v John Cena - Extreme Rules

2, Daniel Bryan v Sheamus - Extreme Rules

3, The Rock v John Cena

4, CM Punk v Mark Henry - That Raw

5, Smackdown Elimination Chamber

The Brock/Cena match even managed to turn a Chicago crowd into Cena fans. Have some of that.

I definitely thought Triple H v 'Taker would have made my top five (and pre-Mania I was confident it was going to be my MOTY), but having a wee ponder, I much preferred the ones I listed - I was into them much more, for some reason.

Looking at it, we MUST get a proper John Cena/Daniel Bryan feud soon. Both men are the two top workers in wrestling, at the minute (obviously, Cena being Messi to Bryan's Ronaldo).

Oh god, you've reminded me of their wankfest in RoH years ago that seemed to go on for three hours. They really were two of the blandest people alive at that point.

• Paid Members

Oh god, you've reminded me of their wankfest in RoH years ago that seemed to go on for three hours. They really were two of the blandest people alive at that point.

In fairness though, if you contrast those 2 matches now, it's like having two completely different wrestlers involved in 2012. Their match at AAO was excellent.

Archived