Post a pic('s) of your pet thread

ajmcstyles

• Paid Members

I just feel so awful that I'm going to have to take him to the vets for this. He has always been so frightened going and I feel incredibly guilty putting him through that as his last memory.

God, I am going to miss him. And there won't be another pet like him, there can't be. Wills has gone through me being a child to being an adult, was the one constant thing when Mum went through a series of appalling and occasionally abusive relationships, he's been there through two nervous breakdowns and getting better again. He means more to me than the vast majority of relatives and friends. 

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members

Awe mate, sorry to hear that. It’s really horrible and a very difficult choice if it’s between that and him being unwell and in pain for however long going forward. I’m in the same position wit my dog, and I’ve talked myself out of it for a year. She’s 16, and has lumps all over her, barely can use her back legs and is starting to cower from us for no reason, heartbreaking. 

Anyway Gus, as I say, I’m really sorry to hear you’re going through this mate. 

• Paid Members

Thanks all. I have thought about that Carbomb, and would happily stump up the extra £100 for a home visit, but I'm not entirely sure what's wrong with him, good idea but not sure, and on the off chance he is not going to need to be put down, need him checked up where they have the appropriate equipment.

It's a fucker, because I'm 90% sure that putting him down will be the right decision tomorrow. Back legs have gone and he's totally incontinent and not massively comfortable. I reckon I could keep him going for a while, but I don't think it's fair to have him alive if he's in pain.

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members

I'm really sorry to hear this Gus, it's absolutely heartbreaking doing it and is one of the most difficult things to do to say goodbye to a pet, a friend, a companion by making that decision to have them put to rest and go through with it.

I had to do it a few weeks ago with one of my dogs and it's horrible as you know and you're going to miss Wills like crazy. You just have to think of all those good times and, even moreso, the sad times that Wills helped you get through by always being there for you, and all the happiness you had from your time together, and reconcile yourself with the decision you're making is that of a loyal friend, trying to ease their suffering as a last goodbye, that it's the nicest thing that you can do for them to take their pain away and give peace from what your pet is going through.

I'm really very sorry for how much you're hurting Gus, but I'm happy that you experienced such a loyal, devoted friend, for so many years, and the happiness that you had spending that time with Wills. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, WeeAl said:

I'm really sorry to hear this Gus, it's absolutely heartbreaking doing it and is one of the most difficult things to do to say goodbye to a pet, a friend, a companion by making that decision to have them put to rest and go through with it.

I had to do it a few weeks ago with one of my dogs and it's horrible as you know and you're going to miss Wills like crazy. You just have to think of all those good times and, even moreso, the sad times that Wills helped you get through by always being there for you, and all the happiness you had from your time together, and reconcile yourself with the decision you're making is that of a loyal friend, trying to ease their suffering as a last goodbye, that it's the nicest thing that you can do for them to take their pain away and give peace from what your pet is going through.

I'm really very sorry for how much you're hurting Gus, but I'm happy that you experienced such a loyal, devoted friend, for so many years, and the happiness that you had spending that time with Wills. 

Al, those are such lovely words. Honestly, thanks so much, has genuinely helped.

Lion, also thanks, really appreciate the support at the moment. I have such a small family that it genuinely helps so much to have  help on here for shit like this.

He  is just asleep as per at the moment. Really don't want anything other than for him to have a nice normal night if he can.  Bought a chicken breast especially for him so he can have his favourite when he wakes up.

I'm honestly scared. I've been around a fair quantity of death, but always been out of the room or whatever when it has happened. Even when Grandpa and a couple of close friends have died, they kept going until we had left the room. It's pathetic when I consider the state Wills is In, but I'm legit frightened.

Edited by Gus Mears

Sadly lost a couple of pets in the last year - both had to be put to sleep. The vets we're excellent they gave us loads of time and space before hand to say a final farewell.

When they gave the injection it was over so quickly I could believe it - just a breath then nothing.

It was very peaceful and very quick.

• Paid Members
38 minutes ago, Gus Mears said:

Al, those are such lovely words. Honestly, thanks so much, has genuinely helped.

Lion, also thanks, really appreciate the support at the moment. I have such a small family that it genuinely helps so much to have  help on here for shit like this.

He  is just asleep as per at the moment. Really don't want anything other than for him to have a nice normal night if he can.  Bought a chicken breast especially for him so he can have his favourite when he wakes up.

I'm honestly scared. I've been around a fair quantity of death, but always been out of the room or whatever when it has happened. Even when Grandpa and a couple of close friends have died, they kept going until we had left the room. It's pathetic when I consider the state Wills is In, but I'm legit frightened.

Glad to have been of any help at all Gus. We're all thinking of you on here with what you're going through. Wills has been a best buddy for you for most of your life and I'm certain he feels that, even more than ever before, from you tonight. 

• Paid Members

Not pathetic in the slightest Gus.  You just cannot work out what the best is for him.  Whatever decision you make, take him in or have it done at home will be the right one.  He’s loved, which is all a pet can ask for.  He’s a member of your family.  Really heartbroken for you mate.

Gus, I'm feeling your pain. We had to have our cat put to sleep at the start of December. She was 14 and diagnosed with Cancer of the jaw so no age really. In the space of a couple of months she went from essentially being her normal self with just a tiny lump under her chin, to us having to blend her food up so she could lap it as she wasn't able to chew anymore, constant dribbling because she couldn't close her mouth, mouth infections and bleeding etc. She had her own supply of food - chicken, fishfingers, tuna and mayo etc because if she was going, she was going out in style eating whatever the hell she wanted!! At times it pained me as I knew she was suffering, but I just didn't have the guts to say goodbye. We probably kept her going a week or two longer than we should have if I'm being totally honest, but getting to the point of making the decision was heartbreaking. She just kept looking at us with that "help me" look, and I just felt so useless. 

We spoke with the vets about having a home visit, and whilst they said they would, they also said it's more often than not better to take them in rather than a home visit, as in the vets they have more options available to them, whereas at home they need to find the vein to administer the injection which can be quite stressful depending on the temperament of the cat, so please bare that in mind if you need to make a decision. People say you know when it's the right time. I didn't get it and didn't believe them, but if it wasn't the right thing to do the vets wouldn't go along with it and they're be honest with you as well. It sounds weird, but for me the actual moment was upsetting, but not the worst thing in the world and handled wonderfully by the vet who got a little choked herself. I think I'd grieved a lot before taking her there, and so there was an element of relief (for want of a better word) knowing that she was finally at peace. If I knew how to post a picture, I'd upload one as (at least to me) she was such a cutie!

If you need to talk Gus, feel free to message me. I know you don't know me, but I'm happy to offer a listening ear

• Paid Members

Thanks so much everyone for the support and sorry to hear about similar situations.

Against all expectations, he's still with us at the moment and I've just picked him up from the vets. He was a lot better this morning, went up the garden and had some breakfast. He was so poorly over the weekend and had that horrible dullness in his eyes that cats get before they go. 

But be seems OK, we aren't entirely sure what it is. Under no illusions that he has not got much time, but every day is a bonus if he is still happy in of himself. Vets were wonderful, have put him on antibiotics and done some clipping on his legs/bum (it was so matted that he wasn't able to go to the loo and he seemed to be totally incontinent). His back legs aren't great, but he's getting around and has just had some chicken. Take it day by day.

Thanks again everyone and cheers Squats for the advice above. Totally get the grieving aspect, I've been firmly convinced for 48 hours he was going to have to go at 9am at the vets and was mentally trying to get some of it out of the way. 

He's looked better, but still a vast improvement on yesterday 

20180122_141758.jpg

Edited by Gus Mears