NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

Liger video on twc was much better than that one they showed. Showing early 90s wcw to show someone as a threat now isn't very convincing if you don't know who liger is

Ah, think you're right looking back. I was sure there was some mention of his name but I must've been mistaken.

Ā 

Did NXT run their first "tale of the tape" for Joe/Rhyno?

Apollo Crews...how'd they get away with that shit? "He's black, so let's name him after one of the most famous black characters and one of the most famous black actors!".

Ā 

Fucking shocking.

Don't the talent pick their own names?

Kind of weird they advertised a while back that Uhaa Nation has arrived in NXT and then they give him a name change. Has that happened before? Good name though

Ā 

When Hideo Itami debuted the graphic on screen said KENTA and then transitioned to become Hideo Itami.

They did the same thing again with FERGAL DEVITT changing to Finn Balor iirc.

Ā 

I think talent do get asked for ideas when coming up with a new name, based on interviews I've heard or read where Dolph Ziggler (his grandad was called Rudolph), Kevin Owens (his son's name is Owen), Charlotte (her hometown), and others have explained their names.

Edited by dopper

• Paid Members

Ā 

Kind of weird they advertised a while back that Uhaa Nation has arrived in NXT and then they give him a name change. Has that happened before? Good name though

Ā 

When Hideo Itami debuted the graphic on screen said KENTA and then transitioned to become Hideo Itami.

Ā 

I think talent do get asked for ideas when coming up with a new name, based on interviews I've heard or read where Dolph Ziggler (his grandad was called Rudolph), Kevin Owens (his son's name is Owen), Charlotte (her hometown), and others have explained their names.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

They did, but the latter never appeared on TV like that, it was edited so the screen wasn't shown until it had changed.

Ā 

Itami's was very much like that, he was also referred to verbally as KENTA in the H*gan contract signing segment, and again when he was introduced to the NXT arena for the first time. The name only changed on screen when he announced himself that he now wished to be known as Hideo Itami.

Ā 

I like Dawson & Wilder a lot - Dawson has been a favourite since the old rednecks gimmick with Kris Kristofferson's kid, actually. I very much don't like seeing them get beat by the fucking Hype Bros a week after making an impact.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

I like Dawson & Wilder a lot - Dawson has been a favourite since the old rednecks gimmick with Kris Kristofferson's kid, actually. I very much don't like seeing them get beat by the fucking Hype Bros a week after making an impact.

Ā 

Yeah thats weird. Sat down to watch Dawson & Wilder to try and take them in after they defeated SAWFT. They're trying to prove to us that the tag scene is jammed atm, and I completely believe them, but the booking has seemed backwards past couple weeks

Ā 

On another note, how shit is the big screen video for Hype Bro's entrance? JUst says "Ryder. Rawley. Hype Bros." repeatedly over a white background, it looks cheaper than camcorder footage of a house show

Edited by sj5522

1.. Ladder Match for the NXT Title
Kevin Owens vs. Finn Balor

2. NXT Tag Team Title Match
The Vaudevillians vs. Blake and Murphy

3. NXT Women's Title Match
Bayley vs. Sasha Banks

4. Jushin "Thunder" Liger vs. Tyler Breeze

5. Samoa Joe vs. Baron Corbin

6. Apollo Crews (Uhaa Nation) will debut

Appearances by Hideo Itami

Ā 

good lookin card, should beat the last Takeover by a smidge. Joe v Corbin I'm very intrigued to see what they do with.

Ā 

The main event being a ladder match probably means Owens won't do anything at Summerslam

Edited by sj5522

• Paid Members

It's amazing how the crowd have gone from going ballistic and counting Baron Corbin's matches, to booing him out of the building as soon as his music hits. He's just done the same thing for weeks (bar a mini-feud squashing Bull Dempsey) with no progression. If WWE are going in any sort of direction with Corbin, they're two months too late in pulling the trigger.

Ā 

I'm also stupidly excited for Breeze vs. Liger. Also disappointed the Vaudevillians are getting another tag title shot rather than Enzo and Big Cass. The NY crowd would have went ballistic for them, more so if they left with the straps.

• Paid Members

He's just done the same thing for weeks (bar a mini-feud squashing Bull Dempsey) with no progression.

More like nine months...

Ā 

The thing is, they've already done the "Corbin comes up against someone who finally gives him a good fight, but he still prevails" thing with Rhyno. The natural thing to do seems to be for Joe to roll over him quickly & give him a taste of his own medicine & a bit of depth/something to fight about, but doing it in NY wouldn't quite work - they're not the live audience who've got sick of Corbin/get to see Joe regularly, so they'd possibly turn on not getting to see a Joe match.

Ā 

Speaking of Dempsey - I'm liking the "Bull-Fit" vignettes. He's gonna get over as a comedy face, short term at least. Bigger picture, though - how does that then translate to main roster if you've not had the background? You'd be left with another repackage job.

Edited by Statto

It's amazing how the crowd have gone from going ballistic and counting Baron Corbin's matches, to booing him out of the building as soon as his music hits.Ā 

Ā 

To be fair, hasn't he recently turned heel? I think he's done really well to turn a 'smart' crowd around like that whilst not having changed much about himself. That crowd could've easily (I was expecting it) started to count this week.

Ā 

Maybe it's to do with the fact they film four weeks at once (or something) so maybe they've just 2 hours ago seen him heeling it up a bit, whereas that'd been 2 maybe 3 weeks ago for us

Edited by Slapnuts

Ladder war!

Ā 

At first I felt like Bayley ascending to the top of the NXT women's ranks felt like a forced measure because of the other three getting called up but the match with Charlotte this week reminded me that she can bring it.

Ā 

Looking forward to this Takeover more than Summerslam by a fair bit, WWE really need to put more gravitas in to their '4 hour extravaganza'.