NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

Wrestlinginc.com  which I've never been on before.   Don't know if it's worse than Wrestlezone's comments bit though.  WZ haven't posted this video yet, so we can't know for sure.

And I don't think I've ever been on Lords of Pain.  Between WZ, facebook and especially youtube I'm satisfied that wrestling fans (at least American ones with internet access) are bellends.

WrestleZone commenters are some of the most depraved and worthless group of people I've ever come across online, just behind Men's Rights Activists (and there's a hell of a lot of crossover appeal there)

Agree with that.   When Sean O'Haire died one comment simply said "wish it was Cena".   What kind of sick mind posts something like that.  Anyway, don't want to derail a thread on NXT with talk of those freaks.

So, I'll just say - 1 week until I'll be in the crowd at Takeover!   I wasn't all that impressed when they started announcing the matches, but I sure am excited.  It's such a shame Itami and Zayn are out, but I think the show is going to be amazing.   It is crazy that not only is it the same venue as Summerslam, but the crowd is going to be pretty much the same size.   It's mental.

I wouldn't rule out Enzo & Cas being called up to the mains at SS either seeing as it's Brooklyn

Should be a great show though, gonna be so surreal and awesome to see Liger coming out. Hope Liger stays for a bit or at least comes back a couple times too! Beats being in an 8 man tag every night with Captain New Japan.

Can't wait for the injured lads back though. I reckon Balor turns heel and reveals he took out Itami, which would be awesome and potentially a massive defining moment for Balor. Plus it makes story sense too, given how likely it was that Itami would be the one who won the NXT belt in Tokyo

I reckon Balor turns heel and reveals he took out Itami, which would be awesome and potentially a massive defining moment for Balor. Plus it makes story sense too, given how likely it was that Itami would be the one who won the NXT belt in Tokyo

instead of balor turning heel i feel it will be hideo itami who turns up and turns heel on balor costing him the title in the ladder match against owens

I'd rather see Balor personally. Loads on here have commented that his "demon" persona needs a lot of work to be of any real long-term value, a heel "the demon made me do it" thing could be the missing link and add a lot more depth to him as a character going forward

I'd rather see Balor personally. Loads on here have commented that his "demon" persona needs a lot of work to be of any real long-term value, a heel "the demon made me do it" thing could be the missing link and add a lot more depth to him as a character going forward

This. Could work really well. Almost akin to the whole Venom from Marvel comics. The Demon being a separate entity whilst also having a symbiotic relationship to Balor could be great character development

• Paid Members

I really, really hate the idea that the demon is an actual supernatural entity/ mental illness that leads to facepaint. Partly because its hokey and partly because Balor hasn't got the acting or promo skills to pull it off I far prefer it just being his big event entrance.

once he's been on x amouint of big events though, that side of him is gonna need something people can actually get their teeth into which they can't atm. I'm convinced they could shoot some wicked stuff for him, where he only has to speak plainly about his experiences with the demon, talk about his childhood, adolescence with it all. They can edit it in some sort of cool Japanese influenced vid package with bits of animation, where he wears a sharp suit and it phases into demon attire etc. Just see it working, whereas I'm worried for him making the step up as he is right now.. Hokey maybe, but it's a hokey business a lot of the time, and you never know what sticks. I'm also not all that sure it's more hokey than "he puts this face paint on for some matches and some of his moves are slightly better..or something"

I'd much much rather see him doing something along the lines of this rather than trying to cut Rollins & co. down with straight promos

Edited by sj5522

WWE needs more hokiness. It's mad that WWE aims at a young audience but nearly all of its characters could be grouped into the "legitimate athlete who smiles/frowns" split, but Lucha Underground, aimed at older crowds, was throwing zombies, ninjas, Sith lords and dragons around. Totally arse about face. Balor is custom-made for action figures, but every hero needs conflict both external to overcome and internal to engage emotionally. However, and I don't know what the crossover audience really is between NXT and Raw, I'd rather they held off the heel side til he's established on the main roster, so the reveal itself has a bigger stage. But then, NXT is for development, so I'll be overthinking things.

Edited by CavemanLynn

There's no reason why they can't try out a heel run on NXT before he gets called up. It's not like what happens in NXT is cannon to being on the main roster. They'll reference any title wins, but the arc of the character will start from their raw debuts

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

I'm also not all that sure it's more hokey than "he puts this face paint on for some matches and some of his moves are slightly better..or something"

It really is though. It's much worse than his big event entrance, especially as there's precedent at every wtestlemania for it

I love Balor as a worker and he seems a stand up guy who deserves all the good luck in the world and that, but he's just plain toast right now, for the company he is in, there's no getting past that fact.

My idea was just a brainstorm. I think it could definitely work, but the take-away point is that Balor needs something a little more concrete to get fans invested in him. As CavemanLynn pointed out, he's already custom made for the action figures, he needs something akin to an inner turmoil to make him click I think. His 'gimmick' if you can call it that in its current state, is that he comes out for PPVs and...I think some of his offense is more effective, though I would say the very fact that even having paid attention in great detail, I'm still not sure what his gimmick is actually supposed to be is a definite down side. But yeah, what do you get to work with on TV when he jumps to the mains? Little fuel for feuds. Little character value from Balor himself, on a show which demands it more than NXT.  I know he's in 'developmental' but I don't know how much more we're going to see him develop in terms of cutting a decent promo. On Raw every week, he isn't gonna have the paint also and I can just picture him being a failure, especially when he'll inevitably get compared to his peers like Owens and Zayn - at this point, genuinely think he'll do well to be bigger than Neville (incidentally a guy with a gimmick that might be described as hokey, but I like the thought of it and seems to be doing pretty well)

I think. If they ran with something like I suggested, it could humanize him and de-humanize him at the same time and could end up really interesting If they get the presentation right. I mean it is WWE so there's always that danger that it would cross into Boogeyman terrirtory with stupid skits, but I can see them taking something like that seriously and dressing it up well and it paying off.

It's going to be a really difficult character to write for otherwise, and "creative" consistently show themselves to not be that creative at all, so yeah I just worry about his future there unless his character picks up a little something more concrete. We're at a stage now where pretty much everybody on Raw except maybe Kane and Mark Henry and guys like that, they don't really drop below a certain standard of worker now, so just being really good in the ring probably won't be enough for him when he does step up unfortunately.

Edited by sj5522

• Paid Members

I'm really looking forward to Takeover. Bit disappointed it's the Vaudevillians challenging for the tag belts and not Enzo & Cass, given the event's taking place in New York and Enzo & Cass were previously screwed out of the belts by Bliss.

Speaking of Bliss, intrigued to see how the Vaudevillians plan to neutralise her when they said they had something to take care of her. I hope it's a bearded strongwoman.