NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

Flair's daughter is such a rotten face, will have to go heel if she's getting the call up soon.

Ā 

Good enough show overall, be interesting to see how Balor gets on as number one contender. He'll have to talk and attempt to develop a character beyond painting himself occasionally and crawling about camply.

• Paid Members

After it was pointed out yesterday, the only time I can remember the title changing by ref stoppage is HBK/Bulldog when they switched the European title in 97

Ā 

Does "checking the arm" in a sleeper situation count as stoppage? If so, you can throw a few more on.

Ā 

Ā 

There was a bit where Albert was talking about Japan regarding Balor and Neville and the play-by-play man said "but that's doesn't mean anything here" or something along those lines. I imagine Albert died inside thinking "you're not wrong there."

Ā 

I really hate that because it's contrary bullshit. They try and simultaneously talk about people being "one of the most talked about" wrestlers from wherever they are from and that they've achieved stuff elsewhere in the world of wrestling, but then immediately knock it down as meaning nothing. So... why mention it, then? Make up your fucking minds. I'm prepared to entertain the notion that Balor (ugh) might consider a match at Full Sail "the biggest match of his life" despite having worked for more money in front of 30,000 people within the last 18 months, but don't fucking tell me "how great it is to have a guy like this in NXT" or refer to Itami (ugh) as "one of the biggest names in Japan" if you're going to then tell me "Actually raid, that means fuck all. He could have been Barry Horowitz or Kenny Kaos before NXT for all we care, this is all that matters."

Edited by air_raid

• Awards Moderator

I'm a little bit behind on catching up with this so I'll be brief in my thoughts. Great show overall, and I know I've probably expressed a similar sentiment before, but if you'd told the 2007/08 version of me that one day I'd be watching a WWE show main-evented by (sorry for indy names) El Generico vs. Kevin Steen, with KENTA in the opener and Pac in a feature match, I'm not sure I'd have believed you.

Ā 

Anyway, Itami looked good against Breeze - and the addition of the selfie stick was a fantastic touch. Makes me want to see him get his arse kicked anyway. Corbin vs. Dempsey I can give or take. Lucha Dragons didn't have the best night, but I was impressed by Murphy and Blake, some great teamwork from them, they could do well. I really like Balor, he just needs to work on translating the character of his entrance over to his matches a bit more, possibly. Him vs. Neville was good, but overshadowed by the Women's match which was cracking. The video package before it was superb, and the match itself lived up to it. Excellent stuff. And the main event, which had another sublime video package beforehand, was really good too - I like that it wasn't all-out moves-moves-moves, they took it at a more dramatic pace and the ending was really interesting. Certainly didn't expect the title to change hands on a stoppage, or a stoppage at all in fact. And they did well to spot some members of the crowd with shocked/upset faces. You'd hope that they can get the parts of the crowd that were cheering for Owens to be on Zayn's side now, Sami was destroyed. I want to see him beat Owens even more now. Looking forward to seeing what happens nxt...

After it was pointed out yesterday, the only time I can remember the title changing by ref stoppage is HBK/Bulldog when they switched the European title in 97

Ā 

I found the clip that I mentioned a couple of pages back - a unification match between Kevin Von Erich & Jerry Lawler to unify the AWA & WCCW world championships, the match was stopped by the referee for Von Erich's 'own safety' - 1:29 in...

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Does "checking the arm" in a sleeper situation count as stoppage? If so, you can throw a few more on.

Ā 

There was a bit where Albert was talking about Japan regarding Balor and Neville and the play-by-play man said "but that's doesn't mean anything here" or something along those lines. I imagine Albert died inside thinking "you're not wrong there."

I really hate that because it's contrary bullshit. They try and simultaneously talk about people being "one of the most talked about" wrestlers from wherever they are from and that they've achieved stuff elsewhere in the world of wrestling, but then immediately knock it down as meaning nothing. So... why mention it, then? Make up your fucking minds. I'm prepared to entertain the notion that Balor (ugh) might consider a match at Full Sail "the biggest match of his life" despite having worked for more money in front of 30,000 people within the last 18 months, but don't fucking tell me "how great it is to have a guy like this in NXT" or refer to Itami (ugh) as "one of the biggest names in Japan" if you're going to then tell me "Actually raid, that means fuck all. He could have been Barry Horowitz or Kenny Kaos before NXT for all we care, this is all that matters."
Promotion in 'putting over how great they are at the expense of everyone else' shocker.

Ā 

It would be a bit weird and counterproductive if the NXT announcers suddenly said, "This is a big match for Balor, but obviously not as big as his New Japan matches in front of 30,000 people. Their action is great, you should check them out - isn't wrestling wonderful?! (Ā© Matt Striker)"

Ā 

And if they ignored the past, and pretended Balor was a Baron Corbin-like rookie, they'd get slated for insulting people's intelligence.

Edited by ClassicsGuy

• Paid Members

Ā 

Promotion in 'putting over how great they are at the expense of everyone else' shocker.

Ā 

It would be a bit weird and counterproductive if the NXT announcers suddenly said, "This is a big match for Balor, but obviously not as big as his New Japan matches in front of 30,000 people. Their action is great, you should check them out - isn't wrestling wonderful?! (Ā© Matt Striker)"

Ā 

And if they ignored the past, and pretended Balor was a Baron Corbin-like rookie, they'd get slated for insulting people's intelligence.

Ā 

Ā 

There's a world of difference between pushing that where the wrestlers are now represents a step up - which it does - and literally saying what they have done elsewhere "doesn't matter." They could just use a throwaway line like "very experienced" or "experienced all over the world," but instead they go into a decent level of detail, before instantly cutting all that past experience down as irrelevant. It's contrary, like I said. If they're going to say "none of that matters here" then they might very well just pretened they ARE Baron Corbin. Like I said, I'm happy to play ignorance that wrestling Adrian Neville IS the biggest match of "Finn Balor's" career, but why waste time saying "he's been there and done that... but that doesn't matter." It's a waste of breath telling us, then! At best it's irrelevance, at worst it's taking a pointless pop at companies that don't represent any thread to them and belittling the quality of the very talents they're trying to push. You can be productive in using somebody's past and add a simple addendum of "and now he's looking to make the ultimate step up here in NXT" or what-have-you, without taking the piss and saying that past "doesn't matter." It really makes them look stupid to me, because we know that the kind of guys they sign are being signed BECAUSE of what they've done elsewhere, so it certainly DOES matter.... otherwise, they'd have a whole roster of Baron Corbins.

• Paid Members

Think you're making way too much of a throwaway line from the commentary team to be honest Raid. Remember those guys are developmental talent too, it's a work in progress behind the desk. They aren't being fed by Vince and they aren't going to make the right points all the time.

Ā 

Typically, when referencing the past accomplishments of Hideo and Balor they have done well to make them out to be big players outside of WWE, without discrediting where they came from.

I don't watch every pre-show panel thingy they do, but I really enjoyed the one for this show.

Ā 

All 3 panellists (Graves, Albert, & Saxton) had plenty of relevant points to make and presented sensible logical arguments as to why each wrestler in each match could win.Ā 

The differing opinions on Balor either being experienced (finding success all over the world) or being inexperienced (still new to NXT and it's environment) both made a lot of sense and heightened aniticipation of his match.

Ā 

Graves was the best of the three imo and has adapted to commentary very well too. A pleasant surprise.

There's a world of difference between pushing that where the wrestlers are now represents a step up - which it does - and literally saying what they have done elsewhere "doesn't matter." They could just use a throwaway line like "very experienced" or "experienced all over the world," but instead they go into a decent level of detail, before instantly cutting all that past experience down as irrelevant.

Ā 

You've overthinking it. Past accomplishments don't matter on the night, what happens on the night is what matters -- that's the same whether they won the Big in Japan belt a hundred times, or the WWE King of the Ring a year ago. A footballer breaking records at his old club is what got him the big money deal at his new club, but it's his performance at the new club that matters now.

Ā 

Plus, it's pretend and they have to fabricate arguments/conflict/drama so having someone argue that past experience is relevant and someone argue it isn't makes sense.

• Paid Members

Think you're making way too much of a throwaway line from the commentary team to be honest Raid.

Ā 

Its only pissed me off so much because it's happened more than once, to be honest.