NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

I don't get blue pants, is it a Fallout reference?

Enzo & Big Cass brought out a jobber weeks ago, for Carmella (I think?) to squash. She didn't have theme music so Big Cass Did some generic circus them "dada dadaaaaa" into the mic as she came to the ring and introduced her as "Blue Pants". It was obviously a one time thing but you know "that" crowd, they started chanting "let's go blue pants" and went crazy for any offence from Blue Pants. This is where Carmella kinda became heel which is weird as Enzo and Cass are obviously babyfaces. This week was the first time I've seen Carmella full on babyface, which is what the group need in my opinion. But yeah, the crowd got so into Big Cass's joke that they've created their own wrestler. Oddly, she looks as generic as a CAW.

Edited by Slapnuts

Seems a bit pointless and illogical to be such a crazy highflyer if you can do all the powerhouse stuff.

That's modern wrestling for you, I guess.

Surely having the ability to be able to pull out both is a great thing?

It's like Vader - logically he should never have done a moonsault, but the fact that he can is as cool as fuck, and people get extra impressed when he does it because you'd not expect it from a bloke his shape.

That Neville spot was jaw-dropping. Such an unbelievable athlete. 

There wasn't, really. It was breathtaking as a display of strength, but completely illogical because he gently swayed and rested Owens rather than having any kind of velocity and impact in the move. Vader being a big massive fucker doing a moonsault was a proper "this will kill you" move.

Edited by King Pitcos

The main event was indeed excellent. 

As a fan of the Dragongate style, it's incredibly cool seeing those type of matches being done in a WWE feeder company. The idea of working up to the big sprint finish, and seeing moves and styles that WWE used to avoid - it's really quite refreshing. The matches between Balor, Neville, Owens, Zahn and Itami, in pretty much any combination are of such a high standard and just feel so different to the "rinse, repeat" WWE main show mid-card stuff.

The only thing in NXT I'm not much of a fan of is the tag division at the moment. Enzo has bags of charisma, but the same lines every week without fail is getting very tiresome. Don't like the Vaudevillians either - too hokey.

Yeah, The Burchill Twins/New Major Brothers are pretty rubbish at the moment, thankfully they seem to have turned them heel already. Two grown men doing leapfrogs as their entrance is not something I can cheer, so good job on that at least. 

The Vaudevillians just remind me of a 1995 weekend WWF show gimmick. They do their jobs very well in all fairness, it's just not to my tastes. It belongs in the land of pig farmers, cowboys and fitness instructors.

Surely having the ability to be able to pull out both is a great thing?

Sadly, in 21st century wrestling it seemingly is. But it loses sight of what the whole purpose of highflying was to begin with; that is, smaller, weaker guys using it as their only way to compete with stronger guys. It was high risk so it was a necessity, not a choice. If you crashed and burned, you were fucked. That all helped the flyers be seen as vulnerable underdogs which brought fan sympathy and support.

That’s just 20th century wrestling logic at its most basic, and it’s what created so much of the story during matches. In that bubble, nobody would primarily use insane highflying if they were so freakishly strong that they could clearly go toe to toe with anybody and wrestle like Doug Furnas or Dr Death if they wanted to.

It's like Vader - logically he should never have done a moonsault, but the fact that he can is as cool as fuck, and people get extra impressed when he does it because you'd not expect it from a bloke his shape.

I was never a great fan of Vader doing a moonsault either, but it’s not really comparable at all. Vader was a strong guy, so he wrestled like a strong guy. He never changed his style to become a crazy flipper as that would have been stupid. He used that moonsault as his ultimate, Raw on the Megadrive finisher for special occasions which enhanced his fearsome aura. He never busted that out willy-nilly until he became desperate when he was a bum in 97/98. 

I definitely don’t like seeing too much of it, but there’s nothing illogical about a big guy showing agility. As you say, it may have been cool that Vader could do a moonsault (importantly, as a last resort when all else failed), just like Bam Bam doing a cartwheel, or Goldberg with that backflip. On the other hand, it’s entirely illogical to base your whole offence around flipping and flying, taking risk after risk as a matter of routine when you don’t need to.

That Neville spot was jaw-dropping. Such an unbelievable athlete.

If you’re looking at it from a real-world point of view, sure it’s impressive. But there will undoubtedly have been many wrestlers over the years who were strong enough to do such a feat or similar, but never done so because it would have made no sense, would have messed up the character, and would have been a nightmare to create much in the way of compelling in-ring stories.

It’s just what wrestling’s become, I guess. I saw it a few weeks ago when I watched that lucha underground show too, when Prince Puma done similar to the bloke from High Voltage. In some ways, that was even worse as it was the bloated fellow who was being put over as having the strength of a bear, but Puma wanted to be BraveStarr so tried to upstage him.

Bottom line to me is, if you’re demonstrating such strength, that should be what defines you, what you’re packaged as, and what you base your style around. Highflyers just shouldn’t have that ability, otherwise they wouldn’t need to be a highflyer in the first place. If your character is that of a superstrong midget, wrestle like Benoit or something. Wrestlers should be well refined, they shouldn't be doing everything just because they can imo.

I'm away for a Hovis loaf now   :)

• Paid Members

Christ, there is quite some whinging and nit picking going on here. Never heard anyone complain when Bret Hart would hit a tope or pescado, nor did anyone complain when Jericho used his deadlift powerbomb. Christ, Scott Steiner used to pop off frankensteiners like they were going out of fashion, yet there was no backlash against his suplex-throwing character. Simmer down.