NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

Loved this show once again, with the exception of the tag title match which was a bit of a clusterf*** in places and while it got better, the blown spots ruined it for me.

Finn Balor is just superb. I agree with those not keen on his entrance though. Looks like a cross between the Predator and The Boogeyman with the crawling to the ring.

Loved this show once again, with the exception of the tag title match which was a bit of a clusterf*** in places and while it got better, the blown spots ruined it for me.

Yeah, the blown spots did ruin the match a little. I was all ready for the crowds "you fucked up" chant but they never came (or at least I never heard them). Some people don't at all like the NXT crowd, comparing them to the 'night after mania' crowd but it does seem a different kind of crowd at Full Sail in my view. I like the NXT crowd anyway but not jumping on Kalisto's back for the slip on the jump over the top rope for example was good of them for sure!

This was the first wrestling show I've watched all the way through for many years, and did so at the urging of StrongStyle Mark, who has been telling me about NXT for some time now. I watched the build up video for the main event on the WWE website last week and was drawn in immediately, and after watching a few matches at Mark's house at the weekend decided I'd watch this show. Aside from the aforementioned Sunday viewing, Rival was the first time I had seen any of these guys, and gals, perform, in spite of hearing the names of some like Pac for years.

I wasn't overly sold on the first few matches, and the tag match I didn't like at all. It just seemed to be a succession of moves with nothing linking them together and no story being told. At this point I was thinking NXT wasn't for me, then came Fin Balor. I was totally drawn into his character, right from his entrance and all the way through the match. Though both appeared to come in as babyfaces, he seemed to take on that role more in the match, with a heel turn from Neville seeming like a possibility more as the match went on. I was delighted Balor won and he's someone I definitely want to see again.

The women's match surprised the hell out of me in how physical it was, being used to the Divas division from some time ago as my only source of reference as to what to expect. I didn't have a favourite going in, not through the match, but I did like the finish. The bit afterwards seemed quite real, but knowing the story or personalties that could just be my ignorance.

Onto the main event and I wasn't sure who I wanted to win. Zayn is a very likeable babyface, but Owens' reasons for doing what he did or and wanting more for his family are not immediately hateable qualities. As the match went on I wanted Owens to win, because his dominance deserved more than having victory taken from him by a plucky roll up, as I feared might happen on one of the first powerbomb attempts. Great match and the right ending, which sets Owens up as a force to be reckoned with.

All in all I enjoyed it, but I did think they all looked quite small. As a big fan of wrestlers like Sid, Zeus, Vader, Warrior, Henry, Sapp etc., I like to see big huge guys that have you in awe just on their appearance alone - all of these guys could walk down the street and I wouldn't bat an eyelid. Maybe that's just me stuck in my old ways and having a Vince McMahon eye for the larger than life characters. But yeah, NXT, I'll be watching again next week.

Edited by Midnight Zeus

• Paid Members

I thought Albert was utterly atrocious on commentary during the show. Just awful.

Corey Graves, on the other hand, was really good. Seems to come naturally to him. Spoke with confidence and delivery, while actually getting the right points across. Could see him doing really well in this gig for years to come.

• Paid Members

There was a bit where Albert was talking about Japan regarding Balor and Neville and the play-by-play man said "but that's doesn't mean anything here" or something along those lines. I imagine Albert died inside thinking "you're not wrong there."

Some interesting names returning on NXT, I noticed. NXT reminds me of 2004/05 TNA right now. The TV shows are OK and the special events are excellent. And you get ex-WWE wrestlers showing up.

• Paid Members

Enjoyed the show as a whole, but the first hour could fill s Botchamania episode. The tag match was just blown spot after blown spot. My girlfriend asked me how I could tell and told her it’s the same as when she tells me about wrong steps on Strictly.

It seems to be getting lauded, but I wasn't a big fan of the main event. I understand the finish and even the story up to then, but it just seemed to take an age to build up to that point. It felt like 40 minutes of Owens running out of the ring and then when he eventually got back in the ring, hitting Sami every now and again.

Mind, also add me to the list of people who marked for Tyler’s fluffy selfie stick.