Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

• Moderators
7 hours ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

The Shane Douglas match with Pitbull Anthony is still be going on now. Rick Rude never made the run in at the end, because of heart failure in 1999. Francine's had a kid while waiting at ringside for the last 2 decades as well. Pitbull is just laying there in a chin lock still. Nobody knows if he's alive or not. Wikipedia says he died years ago. I think that would be the call to take it home, Franchise.

I watched the episiode of Hardcore TV where Rude first came out in the mask and proclaimed Douglas hung like a hamster and brought out Pitbull I.

Fuck me, that wooly jumper he had on. Gyles Brandreth would be proud.

41 minutes ago, Pier Six Brawler said:

It holds up a lot better than anything else on that PPV.

Well yeah, but rarely anything on ECW holds up.

I find it hard to watch those Tanaka/Awesome matches today, OSW reviewing one of them was the last time I saw it and my teeth were clenched throughout the clips. But I've also done a 180 on alot of "Strong Style" recently, even before Honma and Shibata getting royally fucked up.

ECW was so of its time though.  I was a teenager when I saw the pics from ECW shows in Powerslam and it looked like the coolest thing - gritty,  low budget, characters so different to anything that was on mainstream tv at the time.

I agree it hasn't held up well but I love watching it as it is great nostalgia for me.

You could say the 90's in general have aged badly, especially that period where everyone was trying to outdo eachother by being "edgy" and offensive. But I do have a soft spot for 90-95 which many people see as a lost black hole for culture, the 80's were over and the internet era was yet to start but we had great counter culture music scenes popping up and discordian tricksters taking over the pop world for a second or two.

• Paid Members

I cant watch ECW's TV shows on the Network. Just murders the experience of what was good about the promotion. Seeing an advert for a VHS with Line Up by Elastica playing in the background or New Jack turning up with Natural Born Killers blazing from the speakers or seeing adverts for Todd Gordon's Jewellers. WWE has polished it up so much, its just a series of edited matches with dubbed audio. The one thing that holds up about ECW is the spirit of the thing and the reminders of the time period (the music, the references to popular stuff at the time etc.) which doesnt come across on the Network.

The problem with New Jack matches was the master tape audio wasn't multi tracked, so they were unable to remove the music and keep the commentary intact, so they had to get Joey Styles in to rerecord it after they initially didn't have any of his matches on the Network for that reason.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, ColinBollocks said:

What was ECW's telly deal(s) prior to getting on TNN? Was it just a local syndication and on at silly o'clock?

As far as I know it was philly on a sports channel at stupid o'clock and then syndication on similar channels in similar slots in selected states. 

The pisser is watching the tnn show and getting highlights from a match on the syndicate show. 'RVD vs Whipwreck was amazing. Here's the highspots. Watch the full match on channel 95 Sunday 04:30.'

ECW stuff not holding up well is a testament to just how influencial they were, that everyone has copied and emulated their style for the past 20 years (obviously they've improved it and polished it). If Lucha Underground caught on now to the point they made as much of a difference today as ECW did then and their style became the next thing, then LU stuff wouldn't hold up for the next 20 years.

Edit: Worded that terribly but this keyboard is awful.

Edited by Undefeated Steak