Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

• Paid Members

Apparently Batista is getting a key role in Avengers 3 as well as a "substantial deal" for appearing in the Kickboxer remake with George St Pierre. He's doing great, what an awesome thing to happen to a guy his age. He should forget about WWE, I like seeing him but he was booked horrendously on his most recent stint and he doesn't need to be taking bumps and shit when he's got a decent movie career taking shape, it's not like his heart was ever really in wrestling anyway.

• Paid Members

TheWrap.com (via WON) is saying WWE are in negotiations to sell their library to Warner Bros. Be interesting to hear what Meltzer can dig up about this. If this is true, I can only assume the renewal rate after the 6 months is a disaster.

I was under the impression it's less a case of them selling the tape library in the sense they would no longer own it, just a reshuffling of the way it's managed. It's currently looked after by an external third party company called Cinedigm but still owned by WWE, and they are going to use Warner instead? Or have I completely misunderstood?

• Paid Members

Here is what F4W are saying:

The Wrap.com has an article that WWE is in talks of selling its entire pro wrestling library to Warner Brothers. The story said that neither side would comment on the story and that WWE is transitioning away from using its library. It indicated it was due to disappointing network subscriptions. 

I read years ago that the infamous Enron made a bid for WWF circa 15 years ago. At the same time it had a division dedicated to pioneering home entertainment/video on demand. There probably is market for someone to take the footage off Vince's hands, including external parties like WB, I just can't see their being enough money on the table.

• Paid Members

TheWrap.com (via WON) is saying WWE are in negotiations to sell their library to Warner Bros. Be interesting to hear what Meltzer can dig up about this. If this is true, I can only assume the renewal rate after the 6 months is a disaster.

I was under the impression it's less a case of them selling the tape library in the sense they would no longer own it, just a reshuffling of the way it's managed. It's currently looked after by an external third party company called Cinedigm but still owned by WWE, and they are going to use Warner instead? Or have I completely misunderstood?

Yeah, that seems to be the case. It appears to be a Chinese Whispers situation and WWE are simply looking for a different firm to take care of their distribution for DVDs, Netflix, iTunes sales and the like.