Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

• Paid Members

shit

looks like he's gonna make his goal.

Dude lost both legs? that's harsh i always thought he just had lost one foot due to his illness, poor guy.

He's done a podcast with Austin too, i need to check that out.

shit

looks like he's gonna make his goal.

Dude lost both legs? that's harsh i always thought he just had lost one foot due to his illness, poor guy.

He's done a podcast with Austin too, i need to check that out.

• Paid Members

This doesn't sound good for him.

Mick Foley, 49, will be undergoing minor surgery this week and has canceled an upcoming 8/31 show in Denver. Don’t know details but his back went out and he was in tremendous pain. He said the injuries were related to a herniated disc which he first got in 1994 and sciatic nerve pain that has bothered him since 1997. He recently went on vacation and the pain was so bad he spent nearly half of the vacation in bed, so made the decision to get surgery. He said that he saw a well-known neurosurgeon who told him he had so many different issues with his back that no one surgery will be the answer to alleviating all his pain.

You have to wonder if all those bumps were worth it. He's got brain issues and his body is breaking down rapidly before his 50th birthday. What's he going to be like when he's 60?

There's going to be a time in the next ten or fifteen years or so when the 1990's catches up with a lot of wrestlers. No way is there going to be a happy ending.

Absolutely, it's going to be grim, in no small part due to the more is more philosophy from the Attitude era onwards to the present, where about 4 matches worth of bumps are now condensed into one.

I got a bit of a shock at my first house show about 3 years too, when I was expecting economical old school type matches, but found that even those were basically hard hitting modern TV matches. Good entertainment for sure, but totally unsustainable if you're doing a hundred or more of those shots every year on top of the gruelling TV schedule and the expectations which come from that

I feel sorry for Foley and all, but he's an idiot, because about 99% of those chairshots and bumps onto concrete, off stages and entrance ramps, onto guardrails and whatnot were practically meaningless. All through his career, it's like he's had some sort of masochistic perversion where he just had to needlessly go someway to crippling himself week after week.

It almost certainly wouldn't have been the stunts like HIAC that you could argue were a worthwhile gamble for career benefit which fucked him up - it'll have been the accumulation of all those hundreds of pointless and forgettable matches over time on TV and minor PPVs that's done the worst of the damage

Not entirely sure where to put this so I thought I'd throw it in here. If there's a more fitting location do let me know.

Just been into WHSmith and they had the revised WWE Encyclopedia on sale for £7 so I picked one up. Presume it's a nationwide thing. Great coffee table book.

I now need to buy a coffee table.

I watched Clash of the Champions 16 from September '91 a couple of weeks back.  During the show, Foley is involved in two angles with Sting, firstly where Cactus Jack jumps out of a gift box attacking Sting.  Cactus does a mental elbow drop off the middle rope, over Jim Ross' head at the announce table onto Sting on the floor.  Later on the show, Sting jumps out of another gift box and attacks Cactus.  During the second angle, Cactus takes a high back drop on the rampway and is then hip-tossed off it onto the exposed concrete floor.  He's up on his feet again in a matter of seconds and they brawl to the back.  It was incredible the crazy risks he would take in an angle like this, let alone a match. 

• Awards Moderator

Not entirely sure where to put this so I thought I'd throw it in here. If there's a more fitting location do let me know.

Just been into WHSmith and they had the revised WWE Encyclopedia on sale for £7 so I picked one up. Presume it's a nationwide thing. Great coffee table book.

Cheers for the heads up, I've been tempted before but never got round to getting it. How up to date is the revised version? Edited by HarmonicGenerator

Cheers for the heads up, I've been tempted before but never got round to getting it. How up to date is the revised version?

Goes upto Wrestlemania 28. Doesnt have Ryback in it, so mid 2012ish. Excellent value at £7.