Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

• Awards Moderator

New Observer issue reporting WWE have done a deal with Lesnar that means they can book him for as many PPVs/Raws as they like, but rather than carry on paying an annual salary, they pay a fixed fee for each booking. It means that as long as they think it's worthwhile financially, there's no reason they have to take the title off him early for fear he won't be available enough.

Worried we'll have the Jeff Jarrett situation there though. "Nah I'm keeping the belt until you pay me.... TEN BILLION DOLLARS!" *Heyman puts little finger on bottom lip*

This from Lords Of Pain, so take with a big pinch of salt:

- WWE Hall of Famer Ric Flair will be appearing at next Thursday's NXT Takeover 2 special on the WWE Network.

Flair's role will be to welcome Japanese star Kenta, who will be making his official WWE TV debut. No word yet if Kenta will actually be wrestling.

If KENTA does appear, I'm assuming they will do some kind of angle with someone to set up his first match. As to who that will be I don't know, but it needs to be someone that he can smack shit out of for a maximum 5 minutes. I'm thinking either CJ Parker ("you've wrestled all over the world, causing loads of damage to Mother Earth") or that numbnuts Mojo Rawley

If KENTA does appear, I'm assuming they will do some kind of angle with someone to set up his first match. As to who that will be I don't know, but it needs to be someone that he can smack shit out of for a maximum 5 minutes. I'm thinking either CJ Parker ("you've wrestled all over the world, causing loads of damage to Mother Earth") or that numbnuts Mojo Rawley

Mojo would make Kenta look absolutely tiny so I can't see him being the first "victim", though Parker would be a good shout if they just want a punching-bag for 3 and a half minutes. Tyson Kidd would be a good shout for a more solid match, but i'd imagine his first few matches will be more of the "showcase" variety. They need some teeny-tiny jobbers!

Oh yeah, so he is.

Could stick that on first, and then do the KENTA thing at the start of the second hour, people will have forgotten the match by then seen as all of Mojo's matches (since the network launch) have been less than 4 minutes

Kidd would be good, and only reason I didn't suggest him is because he's booked in the fatal4way for the belt that night.

Justin Gabriel would be able to have a solid enough debut match with him, but I reckon it could end up being CJ Parker

Edited by WyattSheepMask

They should bring in Masato Tanaka for a bit to feud with Kenta and put him over. He'd take Kenta's strikes for fun.

What would be the point of that though? Whatever Kenta's act becomes, it's going to have to be sustainable.

Having him kick lumps out of a few handpicked folk willing to take it isn't something he's going to be able to do night after night if he makes the main roster - so unless he's amazingly deceptive and find a way to kick light whilst still looking stiff (which is the only way it should be, anyway), there'd be no sense nor value in defining him with such a gimmick/attribute in NXT.

Edited by Reznor

They should bring in Masato Tanaka for a bit to feud with Kenta and put him over. He'd take Kenta's strikes for fun.

What would be the point of that though? Whatever Kenta's act becomes, it's going to have to be sustainable.

Having him kick lumps out of a few handpicked folk willing to take it isn't something he's going to be able to do night after night if he makes the main roster - so unless he's amazingly deceptive and find a way to kick light whilst still looking stiff (which is the only way it should be, anyway), there'd be no sense nor value in defining him with such a gimmick/attribute in NXT.

I'd disagree. First impressions are key and for a lot of people it'll be the first they've seen of Kenta. He could have a great hard hitting series with Tanaka for a month or two and it'd be a good, simple and effective way to build him up on NXT. During that time you can start getting other aspects of his character over too before he moves on.

I'd disagree. First impressions are key and for a lot of people it'll be the first they've seen of Kenta. He could have a great hard hitting series with Tanaka for a month or two and it'd be a good, simple and effective way to build him up on NXT. During that time you can start getting other aspects of his character over too before he moves on.

If you need to kick some poor bugger half to death to get over to begin with, it would demonstrate that you don't have much else about you. If he has talent, he won't need to resort to such extremism.

If he has other skills and aspects to his character which are of value to the WWE, then they don't need to start him off by shipping in crazy folk to take a beating. Let him show off those 'other aspects' right from his very first appearance instead of wasting time with some extra-violent introduction which is unsustainable, disingenuous, misrepresentative, and misleading to those fans who initially buy in to him because of those violent showcases you'd like to see.

It's a bit moot to be honest though. In this day and age, you're not likely to get over to any great degree by physical, in-ring stuff anyway. Adrian Neville's finding that out the hard way. He's going to need to show some sort of character and personality to make most fans care. The number of fans who take to him based purely on a hard hitting physical style will be insignificant.

• Moderators

To be honest, I don't really ever see Adrian Neville being a success. There just doesn't seem to be any real immediacy about bringing him up, and I don't remember hearing much buzz about it either. I suppose he could fill an Evan Bourne spot.