Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

• Paid Members
Dont they say if fluorescent light tube dust enters the blood stream it can lead to cancer? Yet more reason why those spots are retarded.

Definately. Even the people who work in the making of them have to wear the protective masks over the mouth and nose in case they inhale. It could end of with a lot of them facing Asbetos-like health problems in the future.

Misread that as the Bret Hart/Duggan collection - didn't know they feuded/teamed.

Survivor_Series_1989_DVD.jpg

Duggan's lackey, no less.

Only two of those matches went ahead as advertised didn't they?

If I'm right wasn't Akeem was replaced by Bad News Brown, Barry Windham by Earthquake and Tully Blanchard by Bobby Heenan...........

• Awards Moderator
Misread that as the Bret Hart/Duggan collection - didn't know they feuded/teamed.

<Survivor Series 1989>

Duggan's lackey, no less.

Only two of those matches went ahead as advertised didn't they?

If I'm right wasn't Akeem was replaced by Bad News Brown, Barry Windham by Earthquake and Tully Blanchard by Bobby Heenan...........

Yep. I was absolutely dizzy on the night trying to figure out what on earth was going on.

"There's been some pushing and shoving in the Heenan family locker room..."

• Paid Members

Meltzer's view on AJ's crap tattoo:

On the A.J. thing, this is going to break some hearts, but people who run wrestling companies laugh at wrestlers who are "belt marks" for undercard belts, especially when it comes to a pass-around belt vs. a main event belt that is given with the idea the person with it is anchoring business.

Promoters throughout time feel that there are the guys who want to be paid and the guys who want a belt and they can pay whatever they want to them as long as they give them a make-believe pass-around belt.

In both TNA and WWE there is that designation, given a few times a year from both sides in conversations that reference, which goes back longer than I've been following wrestling, has been around. One group is considered pros and the other group is considered fans who are on the roster and the belief is you can treat them very differently. There is an old saying about the latter group that you throw them a fish and watch them jump.

For ones own career, even if they consider it an accomplishment, if you want respect, you don't sell it publicly behind the scenes, only in fake media interviews and on TV.

Again, the world title (or the main event belt in any territory) is viewed entirely differently (although people who don't like Bret Hart would knock him over the same subject, but those people probably were going to find something to do that about either way, given I never heard anyone except Bockwinkel in fun, knock Harley Race over the same thing). I know of stories where someone in the industry will bring up to Lawler about all the belts he's won over his career and he immediately gives then a glare like they have no understanding of the business.

• Paid Members

Has he retired or was it a "go home Jim" after his pissed up sarcastic display at the WWE game launch. I thought he came off far worse than Flair did. Flair came off as a bit of a daft shite. JR was just an arsehole.

EDIT: Seems like he was forced out after the games launch. He looked off his tits.

The WWE's web site announced Jim Ross is retiring from the company to pursue other personal business endeavors.

Ross met with Vince McMahon today where the decision was made to end his run with the company, which had had a few stops and starts, dating back to the 1993 WrestleMania show.

The decision, which was made by McMahon, was first told to us by a source in the company that it was possible, if not likely on the day of SummerSlam, stemming from the now-infamous 2K Sports symposium where Ric Flair spoke at length about a variety of subjects.

Ross took heat from management for not cutting Flair off and keeping the symposium to what it was scripted to be. Even though it was a 2K Sports symposium, and 2K Sports people had no problem with Flair's behavior, those in WWE were not happy with certain subjects and how they were brought up.

Since nothing had happened for three weeks, many expected that the heat and blown over.

So "retired" is a polite way of saying "sacked for being a cunt" then. Poor JR, they've treated him rotten etc.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

JR has always come off an arsehole to me in numerous out of character appearances, interviews and anecdotes. Although perhaps "bitter" is a better word for it. He might have been nice before the firings and Bell's Palsy.

On the A.J. thing, this is going to break some hearts, but people who run wrestling companies laugh at wrestlers who are "belt marks" for undercard belts, especially when it comes to a pass-around belt vs. a main event belt that is given with the idea the person with it is anchoring business.

Isn't that an incredibly outdated view of the main titles? It's an ensemble piece. A pay-per-view sells on the strength of the overall card, not the one bloke on top. You buy a ticket to see "WWE" not "the WWE Champion." If the company thought the top belt was representative of who is "anchoring business" there's no way Cena would have gone 434 days-of-Punk-plus-Rock's-reign without holding the WWE title.

Speaking of Punk's 434, look at this positively vomit-inducing meme some cretinous ROHbot has knocked up :

http://31.media.tumblr.com/610331f988bdd1f...vsahho1_500.jpg

Different worlds entirely, you fucking imbeciles.

He said he wasn't drunk, but the tiredness from Bell's Palsy can make him seem that way. I know a much younger guy than him that had Bell's, I don't think he's stretching the truth with that account.

WWE getting their knickers in a twist about this when 2K were chill about the whole thing - get a grip lads.

• Paid Members

He isn't "retired" either. He'll pop up again. Probably in WWE. They are mad at him and have punished him. That happens at least once every 5 years.

Maybe Spike will hire him. He's always wanted to do MMA. He'd fit well with Bellator in the sense that they want the wrestling audience and people who are recognisable.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

Didn't go willingly, unless he's had a drastic change of mind since his UK speaking tour of 2 weeks ago.

He specifically said during his talk in Manchester that he had no intention of retiring since he loved his current role of working with developmental at the NXT tv tapings.

Met him in person by the way and he's in the upper 5% of the nicest wrestling people I've met.