UFC 141:Lesnar vs Overeem Discussion Thread

David

85 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hate him or not, no one can deny how much he has done for MMA/UFC and the growth of the sport as a whole. Hell, you just needed to see how many people on here with little to no knowledge of the sport who never usually watched MMA were pumped to watch it.

Always loved watching him fight, always got nervous before hand as well as if it were a relative fighting.

Nice to see him go out on his own terms and be so classy in defeat, the man is an icon and larger than life character in the eyes of two sets of fans - which is hard to do.

I for one wish him all the best in his retirement and although its an overused phrase, its the end of an era - it may have been short but it had a massive affect in the sport.

Well said :thumbsup:

Lesnar dont need to make a Wrestling comeback either, I'm sure he has enough money in the bank too last him a lifetime and fairplay to the man, he was a UFC World Heavyweight Champion and nobody can ever take that away from the record books.

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Well, the main event went how a lot predicted. I really thought Brock was gonna at least give Overeem a tough fight. Overeem's striking looked nasty as we all expected. It was always gonna go like that in a standup fight. Which is why I didn't get why Brock didn't try and force the takedown more. I know it was early in the fight but he didn't seem that interested in wrestling at all to me and seemed to actually want to stand which was baffling to me. Throwing lazy jabs and leg kicks was never gonna work against Overeem. The one time he did get a hold of him Reem defended well so credit to him for that. That body kick at the end was brutal.

Overeem vs Dos Santos is gonna be fucking fireworks.

Diaz/Cerrone was amazing. That's a late FOTY contender easy for me. I loved everything about it. Thought the 30-27's were a bit off, I deffo had Cowboy winning round 2 but I thought the right man won in the end so no big deal.

Fitch getting sparked in 12 seconds was maybe the most shocking KO of the year for me. Never would have called that. The 170 division has really been shook up the last couple of months between GSP getting shelved and now Fitch getting knocked out of contention in such convincing fashion. I'd like to see Hendricks vs Koscheck next. Give Mike Pierce someone else. Like Rick Story.

Gustafsson's officially on the map now. He's been fighting the same guys Jon Jones was fighting a year or so ago (Hamill/Vlad) and looked just as impressive imo. Little Nog seems likely for him next.

Jim Hettes is someone to keep an eye on. The Bruce Leeroy fight was the only other fight I've seen of his and it was a cracking little fight. This win over Phan was really impressive. He's got a combination of submissions and ground and pound like no-one else imo. His G&P in round 1 was outstanding. It was like a Diaz boxing assault but on the ground. Good stuff.

Fun show to close out 2011 with. The best 12 months in MMA history.

• Paid Members

For once I decided not to buy into hype and it proved me right. I think it was pretty apparent from the walk in that it wasnt the same Brock Lesnar. Shame to see him go out like that but he clearly in over his head, couple how good Overeem is with the Carwin-Velasquez defeats and the surgeries and eveyone should have realised Brock had little chance of winning this fight.

However, the result was as I predicted but the fight played out completely different to as I thought it would.

Last night was the first night of the year I stayed up live to watch and it didn't dissapoint. I'd already predicted Overeem was going to beat him but I didn't think Brock would look so out of his depth. He'll probably turn up at WWE but a fair bit down the line, he wasn't rested enough for last nights fight by all accounts and those knees looked like they killed him-as soon as the first one connected it was game over- so I really don't think it's in his best interests to jump back in to wrestling in 3 months.

That Hendricks/ Fitch fight was a great surprise, I jumped off the sofa when he knocked him down.

• Paid Members

Really I suppose we all should have known Lesnar couldn't be 100%. When they start taking shit out of your insides to keep you going just in day to day life, that's rough on anyone let alone someone trying to compete at the top level of MMA.

For once I decided not to buy into hype and it proved me right. I think it was pretty apparent from the walk in that it wasnt the same Brock Lesnar. Shame to see him go out like that but he clearly in over his head, couple how good Overeem is with the Carwin-Velasquez defeats and the surgeries and eveyone should have realised Brock had little chance of winning this fight.

He beat Carwin, didn't he?

He beat Carwin, didn't he?

Indeed he did.

I'm sure it wasn't a factor and more down to Reems power but I can't help but wonder if Brock's body wasn't 100%, or at least not what it used to be after surgery. Reem looked like he targeted it and did some damage there.

• Paid Members

Brock is a weird one for me. Dont know how much of his takedown came from his core which has obvioulsy been affected by his illness and surgery but hes one of the few fighters thats lost his main strength by trying to become more rounded. When he was not trying to stand and strike (which he has always looked too tense and awkward doing) and trying to plow through someone with that insane speed he was amazing to watch. Slowly hes tried to move away from that and hes suffered for it. I think its clear that he was never a top level fighter but you cant argue with what hes done and who hes managed to beat in his short career

• Paid Members

Just seen this post on Cage Warriors from Will Samuelson

Brock did just have 12" of Overcock reeming the void that was once his colon and so I write:

Overoid he filled the void, where colon once had been

Brock the cock, he failed to stop the knees of Ubereem.

But though the Brock was raped by Reem and took his big Dutch dick

His colon played no part in losing to the liver kick.

• Paid Members

:(

I was nervous as fuck going into the main, Lesnar as always seemed really unsettled and when he failed on that single, that was the end of it. After he ate a few knees I was expecting him to put everything into a double but it never came. The kick/Knees that finished it were heavy as fuck and the last shot to the stomach was apt. MOM made some great points about Brock and what he's done for the UFC, I fully agree and am sad to see him go. Dana seemed very quiet at the press conference, Apparently Lesnar is still under contract so who knows what'll happen.

1hendricks.gif

Jon Fitch must be absolutely gutted, he has a hard enough job getting big fights before this, It's gonna be real difficult for him now.

Diaz/Cowboy was a great fight, I was picking cowboy but Diaz was amazing, he did what he wanted and Cerrone couldnt get anything going at all.

Hettes certainly deserves the "Young Savage" moniker that the UFC brass love to use, the kid it all excitement. Gustafsson continues to make good strides too.

Great show.

Archived