UFC 141:Lesnar vs Overeem Discussion Thread

David

85 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On the point about Lesnar bringing fans to MMA, I'd like to say that I'm one of the people that followed Lesnar from WWE to MMA, and I've certainly become a MMA fan now, not just a Lesnar fan. I look forward to watching Anderson Silva and Jon Jones as much as a Brock fight. I'd like to think the vast majority of Brock fans will stick with MMA as well. To like Brock and follow his success is one thing, but you'd have to find some base enjoyment in what he's doing. For example, had he become a tennis player or a ballroom dancer, there's no chance in hell I'd be watching (okay, maybe the latter for comedy value). For a more realistic example, had Brock made it in the NFL, I wouldn't be watching, I can't stand American football.

Sad to see Brock leave, but he looked honestly scared or at least very subdued before the fight. Walking out to a melancholy redneck song rather than intense Metallica, not hyped up and pushing cops out of the way, it was almost like a death march. During introductions, it seemed I could read fear on his face, or perhaps just nerves, but whatever it was, it certainly wasn't confidence. The way the fight played out followed that train of thought, he was very tentative (and rightfully so). He tried a half-arsed single leg and some pawing jabs and lazy kicks. Overeem fought perfectly, can't discredit him at all. His demeanor was that of a man who was going to steamroll his opponent, and he did just that.

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When asked Ross Pearson said he'd love to face the Korean Zombie next, with the winner of that getting a title shot.

Would absolutely love to see that happen, it'd be a great style match-up - FOTN for sure. I could actually see UFC putting it together aswell, heres hoping at least.

(with the lovely Megan Olivi :love: ), theres also another one with Karyn Bryant on the side of the page.

He said come fight time he weighed 170 lbs, he put back on 25 lbs in a day! :omg:

On the point about Lesnar bringing fans to MMA, I'd like to say that I'm one of the people that followed Lesnar from WWE to MMA, and I've certainly become a MMA fan now, not just a Lesnar fan. I look forward to watching Anderson Silva and Jon Jones as much as a Brock fight. I'd like to think the vast majority of Brock fans will stick with MMA as well. To like Brock and follow his success is one thing, but you'd have to find some base enjoyment in what he's doing. For example, had he become a tennis player or a ballroom dancer, there's no chance in hell I'd be watching (okay, maybe the latter for comedy value). For a more realistic example, had Brock made it in the NFL, I wouldn't be watching, I can't stand American football.

Sad to see Brock leave, but he looked honestly scared or at least very subdued before the fight. Walking out to a melancholy redneck song rather than intense Metallica, not hyped up and pushing cops out of the way, it was almost like a death march. During introductions, it seemed I could read fear on his face, or perhaps just nerves, but whatever it was, it certainly wasn't confidence. The way the fight played out followed that train of thought, he was very tentative (and rightfully so). He tried a half-arsed single leg and some pawing jabs and lazy kicks. Overeem fought perfectly, can't discredit him at all. His demeanor was that of a man who was going to steamroll his opponent, and he did just that.

I guess tommorow night you'll be doing that but in reverse order, eh, Shane O'Mac?

• Paid Members

the earlier comparison of Brock to Bob Sapp, isn't that far-fetched. I was thinking about this yesterday...forget anything Bob Sapp did post-2005, im talking before that. Sapp was a guy that came in from a legit. sporting background, he was a freak physical specimen, he looked like an abolute monster and depsite having a limited skill set he gave all kinds of fighters hell for a couple of years.

Sapp fought the best heavyweight in the world in only his 3rd fight (Big Nog), in what remains arguably the scariest MMA performance of all time. At this time Sapp was taking fighting seriously, he motivated and raw as hell but people just couldn't deal with the freak strength and aggression he brought to the ring...People will laugh now, but at this time (and i was watching back then so i remember) people were talking about Bob Sapp possibly going to be the best in the world, possibly of all time, i aint f'n lying. Sapp kinda delivered for a couple of years until a combination of fame, laziness and people simply realising that if you went in the ring un-intimidated and simply hit Bob Sapp he went to pieces.

Now take the laziness out of the equation because by all accounts Brock Lesnar works his ass off, the similarities are there. I think when Lesnar first came to MMA the marketing of the guy 'freak 265 man that moves like a lightweight', 'monster' all helped create an aura around him, and you can guarantee that his opponents were intimidated. Fast forward to Brock's past 3 fights and that intimidation thing is all but gone, they still sold it to the public and judging by the reaction of the public pre-fight most people bought it...except his opponents, Overeem went in that cage on Saturday night and showed Brock Lesnar no-respect, he was the bully and Brock Lesnar did not like it one bit and he folded. Go back and watch the transition period where Bob Sapp went from monster to joke, it's eerily similar. Bob Sapp even reacted to getting hit like Brock Lesnar.

Thankfully for Brock he's getting out now before his reputation goes right down the shitter, but i think the comparison is 100% valid.

• Paid Members

Yeah it's a fair comparison. Sapp and Lesnar were more of an attraction than a legit serious MMA fighter really but there were points where both seemed like they could go on to be top level.

Sapp around the time of the Nogueira fight was considered a legit threat and people were genuinely excited about what he could become. It's only later he really became a sideshow joke. Lesnar was never a joke or sideshow because he always fought at the top level, but I think there are similarities in both their early careers.

Right choice by Brock

His legacy to me in UFC will be as the man who made it all very exciting. Whether you loved him or hated him you damm sure cared when he got into the octagon. The atmosphere and curiosity everytime he fought was unlike anything else in MMA, he brought the big fight feel everytime he fought.

He is the biggest drawing fighter in UFC history and did so much in his small time in the sport. Yes he had major faults as a fighter, no he isnt one of the best MMA fighters of all time but he is one of the most interesting and important.

I can't think of a fight he was in that was boring either, and he only faced top flight competion other than his debut. I really dont care if he goes back to wrestling, I dont watch it really anymore as UFC took my time I used to invest in it, I was a massive fan of UFC before Brock but he definatly made me care more about UFC and slowly distance myself from wrestling.

I think he will stay retired and live peacfully on his farm, I also think he is Hall Of Fame material, based on how big of a name he was and how important he was to the sport. There will never be another Brock Lesnar in MMA for a lot of reasons, what a ride it was.

• Paid Members

on the subject of the Diaz/Cerrone fight:

When will any fighter learn that you can't stand and trade with a Diaz brother?? it's beyond a joke now! Cerrone was taking about being in Diaz' head before Saturday night, but it was the other way around. The Diaz brother clearly need to fight pissed off, that's why they have the attitude and that attitude is what makes people wanna go in and fight toe-to-toe, it feeds right into a Diaz brother gameplan, and no one can beat them at it. I think the Cowboy could beat Diaz in a standup fight, but it'll involved movement and utilising more kicks, which he a lot of success with on Saturday night but abandoned at certain points of the fight. You simply cannot in front of either of the Diaz brothers and hope to exchange punches, they'll take everything you throw and hit you with you with more in return. Outstanding, you gotta love em.

• Paid Members
Right choice by Brock

His legacy to me in UFC will be as the man who made it all very exciting. Whether you loved him or hated him you damm sure cared when he got into the octagon. The atmosphere and curiosity everytime he fought was unlike anything else in MMA, he brought the big fight feel everytime he fought.

He is the biggest drawing fighter in UFC history and did so much in his small time in the sport. Yes he had major faults as a fighter, no he isnt one of the best MMA fighters of all time but he is one of the most interesting and important.

I can't think of a fight he was in that was boring either, and he only faced top flight competion other than his debut. I really dont care if he goes back to wrestling, I dont watch it really anymore as UFC took my time I used to invest in it, I was a massive fan of UFC before Brock but he definatly made me care more about UFC and slowly distance myself from wrestling.

I think he will stay retired and live peacfully on his farm, I also think he is Hall Of Fame material, based on how big of a name he was and how important he was to the sport. There will never be another Brock Lesnar in MMA for a lot of reasons, what a ride it was.

agree with that, well said. I've knocked Lesnar's fighting credentials, but i would put each of his fights in my top 10 of fights i got most excited for. The guy brought excitement and entertained the fuck out of me. I'm a guy that watches fighting to be entertained, it what i look forward too and Brock Lesnar delivered in that respect 100%

• Paid Members

When will any fighter learn that you can't stand and trade with a Diaz brother?? it's beyond a joke now!

I agree with that but one man was doing fine. Melvin Guillard. He was having his way on the feet with Nate and for some reason decided to shoot a sloppy takedown and got guillotined.

That's the only one I can think of though. The Diaz style looks like it shouldn't work. They leave openings all over the shop and they don't block kicks at all most of the time. But the pace they set, the reach, the accuracy, the mix of body shots (vastly underused in MMA) with head shots and just the volume of attack is hard to deal with and it's crumbled many who were thought to be better strikers. The way to beat them is clearly with wrestling, it's been shown to be the one Diaz weakness. But even then you need to know what you're doing to defend submissions.

It's gonna be interesting to see how Condit approaches the Diaz fight. There's similarities in Condit and Cerrone's styles and the Nate/Cowboy fight might have been a bit of a preview of that fight imo. Condit's got a crazy chin but I'm not sure how he'll handle the Diaz style. I can't wait for that one. Only about a month away now aswell.

I guess tommorow night you'll be doing that but in reverse order, eh, Shane O'Mac?

Eh, not so much. My interest in wrestling has waned a lot in the last couple of years. It's cliche but it really was better in the old days. I'll probably watch some old Lesnar WWE stuff, and I'll watch Raw to see who's behind the It Begins video, but overall I just keep a vague eye on WWE results now. I've kept up with The Rock in 2011, because, well, it's the Rock, and CM Punk was good early last year doing the "pipe bomb" routine, he seems to have really diluted that part of his character, seems a lot less dynamic and a lot more generic with Johnny Ace in the latest authority figure storyline.

Back to Lesnar, a big part of my fandom for him was that he always seemed like a legit badass mofo in WWE, and it translated well for a while in MMA. In current WWE, no one really strikes me with that badass aura. There's Taker, but he's really old and broken down. Henry has looked good when I've seen him, but it takes more than a couple of good months to erase almost 15 years of bad booking. Orton has the badass thing but he's in the midcard, and finally the intimidating presence of Cody Rhodes. It would be good to see Brock return and show the roster what a real badass pro wrestler is.

• Paid Members
Right choice by Brock

Well said Jim. Brock's taken al ot of shit here for not being a complete fighter (and quite rightly) but he has been an absolute asset to the UFC and that cannot be disputed.

I can understand and mostly agree with the Lesnar/Sapp comparision.

Nog vs Sapp is simliar to Lesnar vs Mir 1 and the downfalls are simliar in many ways.

The only difference is that Lesnar did hit the pinnacle three time is his career in big time MMA fights, when he won the belt and then defended it twice. Sapp did'nt, he may have done in K1 if you count the Hoost win.

I dont think people would see it as being far-fetched if Sapp would have retired in say 2006 before he really started taking the piss with his fighting career, people forget how hyped as a fighter Sapp was.

• Paid Members
When asked Ross Pearson said he'd love to face the Korean Zombie next, with the winner of that getting a title shot.

Would absolutely love to see that happen, it'd be a great style match-up - FOTN for sure. I could actually see UFC putting it together aswell, heres hoping at least.

(with the lovely Megan Olivi :love: ), theres also another one with Karyn Bryant on the side of the page.

He said come fight time he weighed 170 lbs, he put back on 25 lbs in a day! :omg:

Pearson vs Zombie would be a hell of a fight.

I notice you used a :love: for Megan Olivi but not for Karyn 'Bones' Bryant? Haha. Megan's nice but Molly Qerim was the fittest of the MMA media birds by far for me

mollyqerim2.jpg

When will any fighter learn that you can't stand and trade with a Diaz brother?? it's beyond a joke now!

That's mainly the reason that both of them look great against the Paul Daley's & Donald Cerrone's of this world, but usually come up short against the Gray Maynard's and the Clay Guida's.

Nick Diaz going up against Carlos Condit is going to be an awesome fight. The only shame is that if he wins he'll get totally dominated by St-Pierre, which will result in him kicking up fuck about judges/gay wrestling/not wanting to fight and other lame excuses.

• Paid Members
I can understand and mostly agree with the Lesnar/Sapp comparision.

Nog vs Sapp is simliar to Lesnar vs Mir 1 and the downfalls are simliar in many ways.

The only difference is that Lesnar did hit the pinnacle three time is his career in big time MMA fights, when he won the belt and then defended it twice. Sapp did'nt, he may have done in K1 if you count the Hoost win.

I dont think people would see it as being far-fetched if Sapp would have retired in say 2006 before he really started taking the piss with his fighting career, people forget how hyped as a fighter Sapp was.

yeh, people forget Sapp's early K-1 success, he KO'd Hoost twice!

Crocop's KO of Bob Sapp remains one of the great knockouts to me, Sapp was coming off 3 massive wins over great kickboxers and it was at a time when K-1 was going through that 'freak show' thing and the integrity of the sport was being damaged, Crocop's KO was like dropping a giant. Amazing

Archived