UFC 141:Lesnar vs Overeem Discussion Thread

David

85 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Add me to the GSP dominates Nick Diaz bunch. With a dangerous BJJ guy like Diaz there's always a risk of getting caught in a sub but I think GSP's too crafty for that. He doesn't really take a lot of risks on top and can still do some damage like in the 2nd BJ Penn fight.

Only way I see Diaz winning would be to clip GSP early before he gets chance to shoot. That's a real longshot though. I've always picked GSP to beat Diaz by decision, maybe a late stoppage on cuts.

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
You mean Karyn 'Man-voice' Bryant? :laugh:

Oh don't get me wrong Molly Qerim is excellent (as is Rachelle Leah, she counts as she did those shows for UFC), but Megan Olivi is the type of girl you'd want to introduce to your family - what a lucky bastard Joseph Benavidez is! :laugh:

Anyway, yeah Joe Silva book Pearson/Zombie please!

Yeah no doubt Bryant's voice would sound right at home on Jerry Springer on one of them "Guess what?....I've got bollocks" episodes. Strangely she seems to get a lot of people whistling and stuff when she's at Q&A's and things like that. Never got why myself.

Didn't know Benavidez was porking Megan Olivi. Fair play.

Pearson vs Zombie needs to happen. I like that Pearson isn't fucking about at 145 and he's asking for big fights right away. He admitted himself he could have performed better against Assuncao but he still looked good and I think after a few fights at the weight he'll be a beast.

Yeh, smart move by Pearson. Especially now Cole Miller and Denis Siver are down there, he needs to stay ahead of the pack.

Pearson vs Zombie needs to happen. I like that Pearson isn't fucking about at 145 and he's asking for big fights right away. He admitted himself he could have performed better against Assuncao but he still looked good and I think after a few fights at the weight he'll be a beast.

Yeah when he originally announced the drop to 145, his words were something like "I realised I've only got a short window of opportunity in this sport, which is why I want the biggest and best fights that I can get. I want to be up there in the division and challenging for a title by the end of 2012". He saw that there was a space at 145 which he would instantly move into, where as it'd take 2 or 3 wins to get in that space at 155 - can't fault his thinking behind it.

The good thing aswell is that he said he was completely injury free following this fight, the least he's ever been after a fight. Said that he was telling Joe Silva he wanted to fight again ASAP, plus considering Chan-Sung Jung's fight only lasted 7 seconds - I dare say he'd be ready in a hurry.

The sooner that fight can happen the better imo. Because as Ebb said with Miller, Siver & Olivera moving down, Pearson could find himself back in the spot he was in beforehand at 155 if he doesn't fight again soon - before one of those three has the chance to put on an impressive performance.

Add me to the GSP dominates Nick Diaz bunch. With a dangerous BJJ guy like Diaz there's always a risk of getting caught in a sub but I think GSP's too crafty for that. He doesn't really take a lot of risks on top and can still do some damage like in the 2nd BJ Penn fight.

Only way I see Diaz winning would be to clip GSP early before he gets chance to shoot. That's a real longshot though. I've always picked GSP to beat Diaz by decision, maybe a late stoppage on cuts.

Only difference is that unlike BJ and Serra, Diaz has long limbs and is a serious submission threat of his back, Diaz could throw up triangles and armbars and give GSP some trouble.

I agree that GSP would be too crafty and try and smother Diaz by pressing him up against the cage, but I think Diaz would give GSP a bit of trouble along the way. On the feet I think Diaz would tool GSP in most of the exchanges.

I think GSP will win, but Diaz is a dangerous oppenent for him. That said, I remember thinking that of Alves and Penn, and GSP completly tooled them both standing and on the ground.

on the subject of the Diaz/Cerrone fight:

When will any fighter learn that you can't stand and trade with a Diaz brother?? it's beyond a joke now!

That's mainly the reason that both of them look great against the Paul Daley's & Donald Cerrone's of this world, but usually come up short against the Gray Maynard's and the Clay Guida's.

Nick Diaz going up against Carlos Condit is going to be an awesome fight. The only shame is that if he wins he'll get totally dominated by St-Pierre, which will result in him kicking up fuck about judges/gay wrestling/not wanting to fight and other lame excuses.

That would be a fair criticism of Diaz if he made these criticisms when he lost. Given that he hasn't actually lost a fight in almost six years, it's a bit daft to give him a hard time for thinking that the judging criteria are fucked up. Given that he actually finishes most of his fights, it's even more ridiculous. If anyone is in a position to give that judgement without it being considered sour grapes, I'd say Nick Diaz is.

That would be a fair criticism of Diaz if he made these criticisms when he lost. Given that he hasn't actually lost a fight in almost six years, it's a bit daft to give him a hard time for thinking that the judging criteria are fucked up. Given that he actually finishes most of his fights, it's even more ridiculous. If anyone is in a position to give that judgement without it being considered sour grapes, I'd say Nick Diaz is.

If you listen to both him & his retarded brother talking (and I use that word in the loosest possible sense) about their previous defeats they always have some sort of excuse. Diaz was pretty damning of the fight doctor after his loss to KJ Noons, and accused both Diego Sanchez & Sean Sherk of "not bringing it, homie" after his decision losses to them.

Nate did the same after his losses to Maynard & Guida.

In short, they can't handle losing, and have a real problem with admitting that they simply lost to the fighter with the better skillset on the night.

I'll await his excuses when he loses to St-Pierre, as it'll undoubtedly be laughable when he simply gets shut down for 25 minutes. How he'll be able to say that he never actually lost that bout will be interesting. Maybe if they put as much time & effort into learning how to wrestle as they do mean-mugging and smoking dope they may get on a bit better.

I love your trolling, Dave, I really do, so I'm not going to go into it AGAIN with you how Nate beat Maynard up and got screwed against Kim and how Guida would have been penalised for constant stalling if Nate hadn't worked to keep it as some sort of fight and how Nick hasn't lost a fight in over 5 years and how you know damn well that judging as it stands is a major, major problem in the sport that gives a grotesquely unfair edge to wrestlers, which is the only skillset that doesn't actually enable you to WIN A FIGHT. You know the truth, so I'll just let you dance your little dance for now.

For the record, I fucking LOVED watching Diaz school Cerrone though. You're not the only dumb schmuck I know who thought Nate had no chance. One of my best friends actually told me Nate had no chance against "the best striker in the division" and that he'd probably get finished in the first round. I laughed hard at the prediction. I laughed even harder at the end of the first. I say give him Maynard in a five-rounder next. With the added accuracy and snap Nate's put into his punches in his last couple of fights, I see him finally putting right that particular wrong.

• Paid Members

Haha everytime a Diaz fights we get these David vs Kenny debates.

I'd like to see Diaz vs Maynard again but Maynard's fighting Clay Guida at UFC 145.

I actually think Diaz might get the next crack at the title at the Edgar vs Henderson winner next. If not he's one win away but most of the other top 155ers are coming off losses so I can see them giving Nate the shot.

• Paid Members
I love your trolling, Dave, I really do, so I'm not going to go into it AGAIN with you how Nate beat Maynard up and got screwed against Kim and how Guida would have been penalised for constant stalling if Nate hadn't worked to keep it as some sort of fight and how Nick hasn't lost a fight in over 5 years and how you know damn well that judging as it stands is a major, major problem in the sport that gives a grotesquely unfair edge to wrestlers, which is the only skillset that doesn't actually enable you to WIN A FIGHT. You know the truth, so I'll just let you dance your little dance for now.

Last time I watched all the fights started standing up?

Last time I watched all the fights started standing up?

What's your point? A fight can be convincingly won on the feet for four and a half minutes. You know that if the losing guy manages a takedown in the last 30 seconds he's going to win the round. That's before you even consider the number of awful lay'n'pray and drunken sailor rounds that guys win, even when there's no aggression and no striking. It's not even really "effective grappling" to me if the guy isn't doing something to try and, y'know, win the fight.

Haha everytime a Diaz fights we get these David vs Kenny debates.

I'd like to see Diaz vs Maynard again but Maynard's fighting Clay Guida at UFC 145.

I actually think Diaz might get the next crack at the title at the Edgar vs Henderson winner next. If not he's one win away but most of the other top 155ers are coming off losses so I can see them giving Nate the shot.

That's why I want to see him fight Maynard. Sadly, I don't think beating Gomi means all that much these days, no matter how devastating it was, and just beating Cerrone probably isn't enough. Edgar-Bendo is a couple of months off yet, so I reckon Nate probably needs at least one more good win to put him in line. It's tough to pick someone for him to face though, since most of the guys at or near that level already have fights lined up. With no Guida or Maynard, no Jim Miller, no Lauzon, and with Edgar and Bendo already signed, who else is there who could realistically be considered a gatekeeper?

I never want to see Nate Diaz vs Maynard again.

The last fight was fucking tedious from what I remember, they are just a horrible match up for one another, both looked like crap coming out of the fight they had on Fight Night a few years back.

It also featured Maynard pretending to headbutt a camera in pre-fight interview, which was cringeworty on a David Brent level.

• Paid Members
That's why I want to see him fight Maynard. Sadly, I don't think beating Gomi means all that much these days, no matter how devastating it was, and just beating Cerrone probably isn't enough. Edgar-Bendo is a couple of months off yet, so I reckon Nate probably needs at least one more good win to put him in line. It's tough to pick someone for him to face though, since most of the guys at or near that level already have fights lined up. With no Guida or Maynard, no Jim Miller, no Lauzon, and with Edgar and Bendo already signed, who else is there who could realistically be considered a gatekeeper?

Maybe they could have Nate fight the Etim vs Barboza winner? They're fighting in a about a week so it would work out timing wise. It's probably a slight step down from Cerrone because Barboza's pretty new and Etim's one fight deep in his comeback but like you say, there's not many options. And either way it would be a good fight.

Archived