UFC 141:Lesnar vs Overeem Discussion Thread

David

85 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Did anyone watch the post fight press conference?

Full thing's here

Anyone notice Dana looked like he was holding back a smirk when the subject of Fitch getting KO'd comes up?

And Joe Silva didn't exactly hide he glee at the KO either

hendricksjoesilva00.gif

Ahh that gif looks so romantic with the UKFF snow.

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont believe GSP could handle the up and coming stars in the WW division GSP plays it save for 5 rounds Diaz whos cardio is unqestionable could go 5 rounds charging at GSP easily and GSP will stand and bang with Diaz.

carlos condit was WEC champion hes vasty improving every fight and could dominate GSP in the stand up.

The problem is people give GSP too much respect with his skills, which is the same problem with Anderson Silva.

You dont give that person the respect with their skills and could easily win the fight looks at Chael Sonnen he just charged in took Brian Stann out even though hes deadly on the stand up and dominated Anderson for 4 and half rounds.

Diaz will not give anyone any respect towards GSP's stand up hes gunna charge into GSP all guns blazing and GSP is getting KTFO and excitment is broughts back to the title of the WW division. Even with GSP on top with the wrestling Diaz will use his BJJ to counter it.

As much i like GSP he hasnt really got an answer for the up and coming fighters.

rant over.(pardon my dylexia in this rant)

• Paid Members

What now for Fitch? Really he shouldnt drop that far, he was caught cold and one loss like that doesnt drop him down pack (similar to Mark Hominicks recent loss), but this is Jon Fitch! Be interesting to see what they do with him.

Theres always the Penn rematch which would probably headlineor co-headline a show, but outside of theres no fight that jumps out. Regardless, Fitch needs to start smashing some fools on his return.

I disagree, GSPs wrestling base will negate most peoples jiu jitsu, including Diaz. I still cant see anyone at Welteweight giving GSP much trouble.

Exactly. The only way St-Pierre loses is if someone catches him cold like Hendricks did with Fitch on Friday night. Over the course of three or five rounds there's no one who can get the better of either of them I don't think.

What now for Fitch? Really he shouldnt drop that far, he was caught cold and one loss like that doesnt drop him down pack (similar to Mark Hominicks recent loss), but this is Jon Fitch! Be interesting to see what they do with him.

Theres always the Penn rematch which would probably headlineor co-headline a show, but outside of theres no fight that jumps out. Regardless, Fitch needs to start smashing some fools on his return.

If it were anyone else other than him I'd say that another few wins should put him back in the mix, but the UFC have been looking for an excuse to send him packing and that loss at the weekend is exactly what they would have wanted.

As for who he goes up against next? Fuck knows. The loser of Condit vs Diaz could be an option, with a win there and maybe another win against a top ranked guy putting him in line for a title shot. We all know he won't get it though, regardless of how many he wins.

I disagree, GSPs wrestling base will negate most peoples jiu jitsu, including Diaz. I still cant see anyone at Welteweight giving GSP much trouble.

When you start training BJJ you learn off your back, you're always the guy learning how to sweep or stop submission attempts. Whilst both guys obviously have good jiu jitsu, I would have to give Diaz the advantage here. Diaz is a guy who is good off his back with BJJ and has a very effective boxing style. Obviously both guys have stamina for days, so it would really come down to GSP either going in for strikes then having to back off, not getting drawn into a brawl ith Diaz, or wrestling the guy down then getting back up again fairly quickly. Of course that brings about problems of getting caught in a guilllotine whilst attempting a takedown.

• Paid Members

When you start training BJJ you learn off your back, you're always the guy learning how to sweep or stop submission attempts. Whilst both guys obviously have good jiu jitsu, I would have to give Diaz the advantage here. Diaz is a guy who is good off his back with BJJ and has a very effective boxing style. Obviously both guys have stamina for days, so it would really come down to GSP either going in for strikes then having to back off, not getting drawn into a brawl ith Diaz, or wrestling the guy down then getting back up again fairly quickly. Of course that brings about problems of getting caught in a guilllotine whilst attempting a takedown.

He handled bj penn's jits

• Admin

Putting aside the fact that GSP is excellent on the ground due to his wrestling, he's just physically too strong for anyone in that division, that's why I don't give Nate (or anyone else currently) a chance at beating him down there.

On the feet Diaz was excellent the other night but Cerrone was terrible - had terrible movement, and didn't put any offence or combinations together. The ridiculous thing of it was he kept finding success with those kicks/sweeps but never once followed it up. Does anyone seriously think GSP would perform like that? His greatest strength is neutralising an opponent and destroying them on points, and he is fantastic at it.

I am a great admirer of GSP but I find his style over the last few years to be utterly dull, so I'd love to see Diaz fight him, but I think the outcome is a foregone conclusion. I would love to be wrong though, and at least the trash-talk before hand should be good.

• Paid Members
Putting aside the fact that GSP is excellent on the ground due to his wrestling, he's just physically too strong for anyone in that division, that's why I don't give Nate (or anyone else currently) a chance at beating him down there.

On the feet Diaz was excellent the other night but Cerrone was terrible - had terrible movement, and didn't put any offence or combinations together. The ridiculous thing of it was he kept finding success with those kicks/sweeps but never once followed it up. Does anyone seriously think GSP would perform like that? His greatest strength is neutralising an opponent and destroying them on points, and he is fantastic at it.

I am a great admirer of GSP but I find his style over the last few years to be utterly dull, so I'd love to see Diaz fight him, but I think the outcome is a foregone conclusion. I would love to be wrong though, and at least the trash-talk before hand should be good.

Erm maybe I have missed something, but was everyone not talking about Nick not Nate up to now? Nate is fighting at 155 is he not? :confused:

• Admin

Hush my mouth... must be hungover still or something :/

My points about GSP generally still stand though - I believe he's too powerful for everyone in his weight class and still don't see any evidence to the contrary. However I remain in hope!

When asked Ross Pearson said he'd love to face the Korean Zombie next, with the winner of that getting a title shot.

Would absolutely love to see that happen, it'd be a great style match-up - FOTN for sure. I could actually see UFC putting it together aswell, heres hoping at least.

(with the lovely Megan Olivi :love: ), theres also another one with Karyn Bryant on the side of the page.

He said come fight time he weighed 170 lbs, he put back on 25 lbs in a day! :omg:

Pearson vs Zombie would be a hell of a fight.

I notice you used a :love: for Megan Olivi but not for Karyn 'Bones' Bryant? Haha. Megan's nice but Molly Qerim was the fittest of the MMA media birds by far for me

mollyqerim2.jpg

You mean Karyn 'Man-voice' Bryant? :laugh:

Oh don't get me wrong Molly Qerim is excellent (as is Rachelle Leah, she counts as she did those shows for UFC), but Megan Olivi is the type of girl you'd want to introduce to your family - what a lucky bastard Joseph Benavidez is! :laugh:

Anyway, yeah Joe Silva book Pearson/Zombie please!

He did do MMA. If I try something with limited experience, try it at the top level, win a world title doing it, get millions of people to pay to see me do it, and make millions of $$$ doing it; I'd consider it a successful venture. You wouldn't?

Regardless of how good he was in hindsight, dismissing what he's done, and the interest & money he generated for the sport with his experience level, is retarded. He was the company's top draw, FFS. How can you even imply that being the top draw at something means you "couldn't" do it? It makes no sense.

Retiring in less than 10 fights? Having only victories against over the hill or generally poor fighters? Having a massive hole in his game that he made zero effort to fix? I'd say that was failing at MMA. His name was made somewhere else and that crossover appeal is what made him the top draw. Had he come in without being in the WWE, no one would give a shit. The only thing I would say he did that was positive within the octagon was getting trounced by Velasquez because that gives Cain - and JDS for beating him - the hype rub but heavyweight would still be the great division it is on the verge of being right now with or without him.

• Paid Members
You mean Karyn 'Man-voice' Bryant? :laugh:

Oh don't get me wrong Molly Qerim is excellent (as is Rachelle Leah, she counts as she did those shows for UFC), but Megan Olivi is the type of girl you'd want to introduce to your family - what a lucky bastard Joseph Benavidez is! :laugh:

Anyway, yeah Joe Silva book Pearson/Zombie please!

Yeah no doubt Bryant's voice would sound right at home on Jerry Springer on one of them "Guess what?....I've got bollocks" episodes. Strangely she seems to get a lot of people whistling and stuff when she's at Q&A's and things like that. Never got why myself.

Didn't know Benavidez was porking Megan Olivi. Fair play.

Pearson vs Zombie needs to happen. I like that Pearson isn't fucking about at 145 and he's asking for big fights right away. He admitted himself he could have performed better against Assuncao but he still looked good and I think after a few fights at the weight he'll be a beast.

Archived