UFC 141:Lesnar vs Overeem Discussion Thread

David

85 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This card seems like a really crazy management of successful fighters, I just realised that Dong Hyun Kim is on the facebook prelims when the guy he beat in January is in the Semi Main event. Then you have a press conference and promotions without mentioning Jon Fitch who should be considered one of the best fighters in the welterweight division.

• Paid Members
This card seems like a really crazy management of successful fighters, I just realised that Dong Hyun Kim is on the facebook prelims when the guy he beat in January is in the Semi Main event. Then you have a press conference and promotions without mentioning Jon Fitch who should be considered one of the best fighters in the welterweight division.

i actually forget who's on this card, it's pretty stacked when you break it down. It's just one of them one-fight promotion things where it's all about the main event, it's almost like MMA get's into boxing mode when these kind of shows happen.

I'm actually pretty excitied about Fitch's return :confused:

I'm planning to watch this as my second UFC event. The first was the show on FOX, which was bitter sweet, as I loved the buildup, but was left with a "is that it" feeling afterwards.

Obviously this show will have more matches, but as a casual fan I'm watching to see if Lesnar will get pasted or not. What is there on the undercard for a complete beginner to UFC and MMA in general to get me excited?

After the interviews I am now leaning towards Brock. I've got a feeling he's going to try and wrestle Overeem into fatigue then ground and pound him out.

Fitch is a great fighter, if you also enjoy watching paint dry. It might be personal preference but I prefer someone who will try and finish fights over someone who is incapable of doing so. No denying Jon Fitch is highly skilled though.

• Paid Members
What is there on the undercard for a complete beginner to UFC and MMA in general to get me excited?

The co-main event of Donald Cerrone vs Nate Diaz. It's not the huge deal the main event is but it will most likely be a better fight and could be the type that gets talked about as a FOTY contender.

Aside from that I'd look out for Nam Phan vs Jim Hettes. Phan is a good striker, usually in exciting fights and although I have only seen Hettes once he had a cracker with Bruce Leeroy a few months back.

If you're gonna watch the prelims keep an eye out for these

Junior Assuncao vs. Ross Pearson

Danny Castillo vs. Anthony Njokuani

Luis Ramos vs. Matt Riddle

Manny Gamburyan vs. Diego Nunes

Pearson and Njokuani never have bad fights. Riddle looks like a ponce but he's surprisingly tough and has been having some wars on the prelims recently and Gamburyan/Nunes is a interesting clash of Manny's power and Judo vs Nunes' Muay Thai and BJJ.

It's way more than the one fight show they've promoted it as.

• Paid Members
I'm actually pretty excitied about Fitch's return :confused:

As should everybody. Jon Fitch is the man

With GSP gone I don't see anyone who can stop him from taking that belt.

Except Dana, of course.

Yeah I agree. I think he'd shut Diaz and Condit down with wrestling. Ellenberger vs Fitch would be interesting down the line.

Diaz smacked off Cowboy's hat during the staredowns. Thats gonna be awesome.

I have a feeling that Cerrone's hat is the only thing Diaz will be smacking. All of his unintelligible smacktalk and tough guy antics only really serve to paper over the fact that he's not able to compete at the very top level. Cerrone is top level.

Speaking of Fitch, did anyone see his interview with Ariel where he talks about the "dumbing down" of MMA and how he anticipates that such antics will slowly disappear as the sport gets more popular?

Apparently his interview with Sherdog was similar;

Jon Fitch will lock horns with two-time NCAA national wrestling champion Johny Hendricks in a featured welterweight matchup at UFC 141

• Paid Members
Obviously this show will have more matches, but as a casual fan I'm watching to see if Lesnar will get pasted or not. What is there on the undercard for a complete beginner to UFC and MMA in general to get me excited?

if you're only gonna see the 5 fight main card, you're in for a bit of a treat in terms of being new to MMA. The main card features fights in 5 different weight categories, and you're gonna get a lot of different styles of fighter on the card so it gives you a bit of a all round view of MMA.

Lesnar/Overeem speaks for itself.

Diaz/Cerrone is going to be great, 2 figthers fueled by bravado, gonna be a lot of smack talking in there, neither guys going to take a backward step should be a crazy fight. Will be fight of the night.

Gustaffson/Matyushenko is a classic old vs. new fight. Gustaffson realistically could be headed for a title shot in 2012, if he wins impressively hes going to be thrown right in the mix. Mayushenko is a 41 year old dude that keeps winning fights, he's not flashy or anything but he's a bit of a cult MMA favorite. I'm looking at this as a Gustaffson showcase though.

Fitch/Hendricks: Jon Fitch is the no.2 Welterweight in the world but most people hate his style of fighting. He's been out for a long time though and he's fighting a guy who should 'on paper' have better wrestling and possibly better hands too so it could be a tough night for him but i expect him to find a way to get it done. Expect a battle, lots of scrambles, cinches, dirty boxing etc.

Phan/Hettes: Phan is a crowd pleaser who likes to engage in wild striking matches, but he;s fighting a guy who's submitted every opponent he's ever faced. Being seen as a striking vs. grappler match but Phan apparently has some sweet grappling chops too. Gonna be fast paced and fun to watch.

if you can try and get on facebook/ufc.com for the prelims, 6-7 straight hours might be a bit much for a newbie but i guarantee that if you enjoy the main card within a few months you'll wanna see every fight on the card.

Big Trev wonders what effect Lesnar has had in increasing the shift of old school wrestling fans towards UFC. Just looking at this thread, there's a pretty significant group of guys who'll be watching for the first time, mainly because of Brock.

Archived