UFC 141:Lesnar vs Overeem Discussion Thread

David

85 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This past week's "Countdown to UFC 141" debut on FUEL TV scored just 15,000 viewers and a 0.03 household rating rating among men 18-49 and a 0.0 among men 18-34.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) today confirmed the Dec. 21 ratings with an industry source.

The show, which previews Friday's UFC 141 event and the headlining heavyweight eliminator of Alistair Overeem vs. Brock Lesnar, scored just 1,000 viewers for 1 a.m. ET/PT replay that followed the 10 p.m. ET/PT debut.

In addition to Lesnar vs. Overeem, which is a five-round non-title fight that earns the winner a shot at champion Junior Dos Santos, "Countdown to UFC 141" also previewed the pay-per-view co-headliner between lightweights Donald Cerrone and Nate Diaz. The event takes place on a rare Friday rather than Saturday (to accommodate New Year's Eve festivities in Las Vegas) at MGM Grand Garden Arena.

The ratings show that the UFC and FUEL TV still have a long way to go in building up the channel as a UFC-programming hub. The FOX-owned channel is taking over the bulk of UFC programming that previously aired on Spike TV, which traditionally averaged nearly a half-million viewers per new episode of "UFC Countdown" in 2011.

Unlike Spike TV, which is available in approximately 100 million homes, FUEL TV is available in just 36 million, according to the channel's official website. However, with the UFC's move to the FOX family of networks in 2012 and greater demand from UFC fans in recent weeks, nearly 10 million FUEL TV homes were added just in the past month. However, the channel still requires a subscription to a larger sports package in many markets.

In addition to specialty programming such as "Countdown," FUEL TV will air many UFC preliminary-card specials in 2012. Additionally, a handful of UFC on FUEL TV events are planned, including one in February that airs live from Nebraska.

Despite the low TV ratings, many fans have watched the "Countdown to UFC 141" episode via other outlets, including UFC.com. Additionally, you can now watch the full episode on MMAjunkie.com.

I know its just a preview show but thats got to be a huge disapointment for UFC.

Diaz smacked off Cowboy's hat during the staredowns. Thats gonna be awesome.

I have a feeling that Cerrone's hat is the only thing Diaz will be smacking. All of his unintelligible smacktalk and tough guy antics only really serve to paper over the fact that he's not able to compete at the very top level. Cerrone is top level.

He always has that really annoying look on his face too. That's enough for anyone to hate him.

My one wish for this event is that they develop a 'press the red button to skip Jon Fitch' :)

MmOa6.gif

On a more serious note, it appears that Lesnar has been flexing his legal muscles when it comes to Overeem training at Xtreme Couture's;

Brock Lesnar was the reason that Alistair Overeem

Do UFC shows typically overun past 6am? I'm half cut now with us playing tonight so am gonna record it for tomorrow night so should I record the show after aswell just in case?! Not got much space on the V+ that's all

Nah

They structure the card to finish before a certain time, you will be fine.

Do UFC shows typically overun past 6am? I'm half cut now with us playing tonight so am gonna record it for tomorrow night so should I record the show after aswell just in case?! Not got much space on the V+ that's all

I've been caught out twice with my recordings cutting out midway through the main event, so if you want to be extra sure (like me), then record the show afterwards. It's better to delete the extra show tomorrow after seeing the event than it is to miss the end of the main event.

For those interested, the full paydays (show/win money) for tonight's fighters include:

• Brock Lesnar: $400,000 show/no win bonus
  • Alistair Overeem: $264,285.71/$121,428.57
  • Donald Cerrone: $30,000/$30,000
  • Nate Diaz: $37,000/$37,000
  • Jon Fitch: $60,000/$60,000
  • Johny Hendricks: $26,000/$26,000
  • Alexander Gustafsson: $16,000/$16,000
  • Vladimir Matyushenko: $40,000/$40,000
  • Jim Hettes: $8,000/$8,000
  • Nam Phan: $8,000/$8,000
  • Junior Assuncao: $8,000/$8,000
  • Ross Pearson: $20,000/$20,000