UFC 141:Lesnar vs Overeem Discussion Thread

David

85 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members
Not with a high level wrestler like Kos, a guy who was one of the top wrestler in the States. Sure he took him donw, but Kos could get back up. Or you get a Sonnen/Silva situation where Kos pulls a submission out of his arse. GSP's striking was so much better techincally it was ridiculous. All I want him to do when he face Nick Diaz and I'm pretty sure Condit will lose to is to actually fucking finish a fight.

Except, if I remember correctly, gsp successfully put koscheck on his back and out wrestled him the last time they fought. There's no way you'd get a Sonnen silva situation because a) gsp can defend submissions and b) high level wrestles perform worse off their backs than bjj black belts.

Whereas kos has some power in his hands, all he needed was a couple of lucky shots, something gap is all too familiar with

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Donald Cerrone is pissed off as is usual for him in the run up to a fight

"He's stupid. He's not very intelligent with his trash-talking. It's not like I'm going against Chael Sonnen, who will just destroy me. That guy is super intelligent and comes at people from all levels. I'm dealing with a street thug, you know, an idiot. So, I'm not real worried about his trash-talking. Just f--k him, if he wants to talk s--t, bring it on. I tried to shake his hand and be cool with the dude and he wants to take it to another level. Now, he's pissed me off and now it's personal. And now I'm going to fight a lot harder because of it."

This is gonna be fun. Got a feeling this could be a late FOTY contender.

I hope Cerrone smashed Diaz.

• Paid Members

gonna be a great fight...i always get shocked by how the Diaz guys break fighters down you wouldn't expect them to be able too with their strikes...however, Cerrone is one guy who i think will walk through anything Nate throws at him, Cerrone's like the fucking terminator in there.

On the subject of GSP.

I am not a fan of GSP Post 2008, but even with his conservative fighting style he still remains the second biggest draw in MMA. The casual fans love him, his humble attitude and endearing personality makes fans pay to see him in droves as well as the fact he is clearly the best in the world in his weightclass. Women seem to love him as well as he is a fairly good looking guy, so he attracts that audience as well.

When faced with a cocky challenge from the likes of Dan Hardy or Koscheck, the fans will part with there money everytime to see the nice guy humble the cocky prick even if the fight is not exactly exciting.

Even the fans who hate him now will still pay to hope a Nick Diaz or Carlos Condt batter him. Bottom line is despite not being as exciting insdide the octagon, the fans still care about GSP more than Jon Jones and Anderson Silva.

Cerrone is my #1 pick for picking up a UFC strap in 2012.

Kinda agree, I think Ben Henderson will win the title vs. Edgar (probably the only time I've gone against Frankie) and he is the biggest 'lock' to win a title imo. But I do agree that Cerrone winning a title is going to happen sooner rather than later - Henderson vs. Cerrone 3 has gotta happen and I'd fancy The Cowboy to win it this time as he is a completely different beast of a fighter these days.

• Paid Members
Cerrone is my #1 pick for picking up a UFC strap in 2012.

Kinda agree, I think Ben Henderson will win the title vs. Edgar (probably the only time I've gone against Frankie) and he is the biggest 'lock' to win a title imo. But I do agree that Cerrone winning a title is going to happen sooner rather than later - Henderson vs. Cerrone 3 has gotta happen and I'd fancy The Cowboy to win it this time as he is a completely different beast of a fighter these days.

I dunno man, I think Frankie might beat Bendo and Cowboy to be honest.

Cerrone's improved his takedown defense but it's been a bit of a problem in the past and I think Edgar would exploit that. Edgar/Bendo is a trickier one but I think Edgar is the better striker and maybe just as good a grappler. Still Bendo's bigger, unpredictable and is one of the few who should be able to keep up with Frankie's pace. Fascinating fight. But I'm leaning towards an Edgar close points win for now.

• Paid Members

Frank Mir on Lesnar vs Overeem

"Brock doesn't shoot that low. He'll put his forehead in your chest, and he's going to run you through. If he's not able to take you down with that initial blast, he's going to run you against the cage. Then he's going to rip your legs out from under you. Now, you should have gotten taken down in the middle of the area, but instead, you've been taken down against the cage. Speaking from experience, that sucks. Now, you have a guy who is not a black belt in jiu-jitsu and who is not a wrestling All-American who is going to be able to get back to his feet, so what does he do? Are you going to try to tell me he's going to wrestle with a national champion wrestler for five minutes? His cardio is going to suck. I've seen guys with muscles like that, and that's why he slows down."

The irony of Mir slagging of someone else's cardio isn't lost on me :D but I think he's right on this one. Overeem can deffo win this but if it becomes a grappling match I think his chances diminish massively for the reason's Frank gives above.

• Paid Members

i agree with Mir, if Brock can put the pressure on Overeem, stuff him against the cage and rip him down he can do his thing and win...my problem with it all is, i think Brock' going to panic when they are on their feet and shoot a sloppy takedown. Brock MMA takedown' haven't been all that really (save for the first Mir takedown which was scary), he's missed a few and guys have managed to get up once he's taken them down. I know he's fought a selection of wrestlers who's managed to do this but i just feel a fresh Overeem is not going to be an easy man to take down, and if Brock is sloppy it aint going to happen early in the fight.

• Paid Members

I'm really looking forward to this now, I'm going to make an excuse with my wife that I've got a late night live conference chat for work so I can watch it. As long as I don't expect an F5 and back-to-back powerbombs then I reckon I will quite enjoy it all.

I'm really looking forward to this now, I'm going to make an excuse with my wife that I've got a late night live conference chat for work so I can watch it. As long as I don't expect an F5 and back-to-back powerbombs then I reckon I will quite enjoy it all.

You know the crowd reaction and big fight atmosphere that you get like once or twice a year with Pro Wrestling.

You get that usually once a month with UFC, really adds to the product.

Archived