UFC 141:Lesnar vs Overeem Discussion Thread

David

85 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Allot of people need to understand that if Overeem did do steroids to get to the size he is today, once he gets as big as he wishes he can maintain the size without using roid's. So he could do steroids for 2 courses over 2 years and then get the results he wants, then to stay the same size he just has to maintain good training and diet. I have no doubt that he has took them in the past to get the size he is today, but there is no rules that say he cant do that.

WWE wrestlers don't get tested when they are injured, hence why they come back looking really big, when you use steroids you don't use them everyday for the rest of your life you have 4-6 months on then the same off.

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I doubt he's on steroids. I'd guess he's probably been taking HGH if he's been taking anything, and he won't be the first UFC fighter to do that if rumours are to be believed.

exactly, there is HGH, testosterone and a multiple other things that can be taken to gain that much muscle. I mean I dropped by 2 stone yet gained another 12% muscle mass over the summer due to changing my eating habits and hitting the weights more often.

Chael Sonnen tested for high levels of Testosterone which isn't actually a banned substance, it was just a ploy for the CSAC to be seen to be pulling their weight. Which is why his suspension was so short, if he was found with actual steroids he's have at least five years before he could compete and be regularly tested.

• Paid Members
K-1 is different to MMA though, because in Muay Thai you have the light tip toe stance, which is no good when there's a chance of being taken down.

That's a great point. If you look at the guys in MMA who rely heavily on Muay Thai the one common weakness in their game is takedown defence. Anderson, Shogun, Wanderlei, Cerrone, Condit and others have all had difficulties in the past with it and the Thai stance probably has something to do with that imo.

Of them names above, Anderson's still hard to take down for the most part mainly due to his movement and and fast reflexes and most guys being a bit hesitant to shoot cos of not wanting to get caught coming in.

Jon Jones is a rare breed in MMA. A guy who uses Muay Thai techniques but also has a wrestling base and a huge reach so he can use the tools of Muay Thai and still be a fucker for someone to get in range and take him down.

Chael Sonnen tested for high levels of Testosterone which isn't actually a banned substance, it was just a ploy for the CSAC to be seen to be pulling their weight. Which is why his suspension was so short, if he was found with actual steroids he's have at least five years before he could compete and be regularly tested.

I hope you're taking the mick? Or you don't believe in facts. Testosterone injections ARE steroids. He had elevated testosterone levels due to injections. The gray area is TRT which Sonnen claims he had approval for but did not HENCE his ban.

I don't know where you get your facts from but steroid test fail = 12 month ban usually. Never in my life seen a 5 year ban.

UFC does not test for HGH. It is not required by any of the athletic comissions. Apparently the testing process is highly costly and due to the amount of time it remains in the body the testing process is complicated and not worth while, yet.

Let's be thankful that they don't. Imagine the fights over the past few years that we would have been robbed of potentially...

That automatically means he is guilty of taking steroids how?

I think there was something in an old copy of the Wrestling Observer (from Meltzer who's been around the bodybuilding and fight game forever) about the Bulldog in 1994 - basically if it looks like a duck it's a duck no matter how much you want to believe otherwise. The same thing applies to Overeem. I remember having the same discussion here in 2004 about Benoit.

As for drug testing in boxing and MMA it's a joke as the recent Lesner and Overeem tests show. Essentially both Lesner and Overeem did roughly similar to Kostas Kenteris and Katerina Thanou. In fact looking at Overeems case you could argue the constant delays and (literally) pissing about in taking the tests would count as an automatic suspension in Olympic sports under the missed tests/whereabouts rules. Couple that up with the exemptions granted to Henderson among others and you have ridiculous situation in a combat sport where people get seriously hurt on a regular basis. Mayweather is a tool but he had one thing right which was the fact commission testing is a joke and can't even attempt to protect clean fighters.

UFC does not test for HGH. It is not required by any of the athletic comissions. Apparently the testing process is highly costly and due to the amount of time it remains in the body the testing process is complicated and not worth while, yet.

Let's be thankful that they don't. Imagine the fights over the past few years that we would have been robbed of potentially...

Every GSP fight from the past 3 years? :laugh:

That automatically means he is guilty of taking steroids how?

I think there was something in an old copy of the Wrestling Observer (from Meltzer who's been around the bodybuilding and fight game forever) about the Bulldog in 1994 - basically if it looks like a duck it's a duck no matter how much you want to believe otherwise. The same thing applies to Overeem. I remember having the same discussion here in 2004 about Benoit.

As for drug testing in boxing and MMA it's a joke as the recent Lesner and Overeem tests show. Essentially both Lesner and Overeem did roughly similar to Kostas Kenteris and Katerina Thanou. In fact looking at Overeems case you could argue the constant delays and (literally) pissing about in taking the tests would count as an automatic suspension in Olympic sports under the missed tests/whereabouts rules. Couple that up with the exemptions granted to Henderson among others and you have ridiculous situation in a combat sport where people get seriously hurt on a regular basis. Mayweather is a tool but he had one thing right which was the fact commission testing is a joke and can't even attempt to protect clean fighters.

The thing with the Overeem case is for missing a test by a few days he's now going to be the UFC's most tested fighter. Despite NEVER and I repeat NEVER having failed a test.

I am 100% against TRT. Why should someone at the age of 40 be allowed to elevate their testosterone levels to that of a 25 year old man? Testosterone depletion is natural with maturity, severe depletion is down to 99% of the time steroid abuse throughout the years.

Every GSP fight from the past 3 years? :laugh:

That wouldn't be a loss to me, GSP is definitely a very skilled fighter with really great takedown defence and amazing standup. Though he is really boring, he can batter someone for 3 rounds to the point where they can't fight back, but GSP won't finish it he's more than happy to let the fight go for the full 5 rounds. The Koschek fight being a great example of this, he could have finished that fight in the second, but he's far too happy to let it go to the judges. That's why I place Silva and Jones above GSP, since they go out their to win, be it submission or knockout, not to do the minimum amount to get the win.

Archived