UFC 141:Lesnar vs Overeem Discussion Thread

David

85 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Herb used to get some real shit for early stoppages, He's come on leaps and bounds since then. Big Jihn will always be the man in my eyes

He didn't exactly cover himself in glory at the TUF 14 Finale. That Dodson stoppage was an especially bad one.

• Paid Members

I've finally decided to give this UFC stuff a shot after all this time. I've meant to for years but seeing as though Lesnar's in this one and I know who he is, it seems as good a place to start as any.

I promise not to say anything embarrassing like, "Ooh, nice push!" or anything like that, though.

• Paid Members
Could be wrong but the biggest blunder I recall Rosenthal making was thinking the Shogun/Hendo fight was only 3 rounds.

He makes a rare bad call in the Anthony Lapsley/Jay Hieron fight at Bellator 35. At least Cecil Peoples and Dan Miragliotta are nowhere to be seen for this fight.

I haven't seen that. Suppose every ref will make errors but on the whole I'd say he's the most consistantly good of the current crop.

Peoples and Miragliotta are pretty cack and I'll throw Mazzagatti and Kim Winslow onto the shite refs pile.

How about that magnificent beard, has he kept it?

Don't think he has unfortunately. Everything I've seen the last few months he's clean shaven but a lot of that was filmed a while ago, maybe he's grown it back. He always says he likes to have a beard in the winter. Suppose it keeps his face warm while he's pulling deers innards out with his bare hands in the snow.

When I first heard this fight was taking place, I thought Overeem would walk it.

Now I am 50/50, Lesnar looks in great shape. Also, I heard somthing about Overeem from Dave Meltzer that was interesting the other day. In his fight with Werdum, Overeem weighed in at around 255lbs and was underwelming to say the least. Werdum was a excellent style match up for Overeem, the best style match up he could hope for in this day and age of MMA, yet he was dissapointing.

In Japan, he weighed in usually at about 265lbs, only 10 pounds difference, but he looked a lot more muscular. Meltzer believes this is because in Japan they do not drug test at all (somthing I also believe) now I am not saying he is not on steroids now, the antics in the lead up point to some wrongdoing, but in America unlike Japan, he would have to cycle his steroids so they would not come up on the tests they do.

With the distractions with his Mum (which is very sad), the changes in camp and the drug issues, I think Brock could catch Overeem sluggish and unprepared. It really could go either way in a few weeks.

Fight will be decided on wheather or not Lesnar can take him down.

• Paid Members

Deffo. And you'd expect he should be able to get him down. Overeem's takedown defence is good but I don't think it will be good enough. People say Brock's wrestling doesn't translate to MMA aswell as someone like Cain's has but it's still a hell of a task to stop him taking you down and I doubt Overeem will be up to it.

Overeem's gonna have a very small window to time his strikes, if he connects though it could be curtains. There's also a chance he catches Brock in a guillotine. The guillotine has been one of Overeem's most common fight enders in his career and he could possibly lock it up if Brock gets careless on a takedown. With the size of Brock's neck and his grappling ability I think that's a very slight chance but the threat's there.

To be honest though, outside of landing a bomb at the start of each round I don't think Overeem's chances are good and the longer it goes I think his chances get slimmer because he'll likely be carrying Brock's weight most of the time aswell as fighting his own cardio battles.

I think we'll be seeing that Dos Santos vs Lesnar fight after all sometime next year.

Deffo. And you'd expect he should be able to get him down. Overeem's takedown defence is good but I don't think it will be good enough. People say Brock's wrestling doesn't translate to MMA aswell as someone like Cain's has but it's still a hell of a task to stop him taking you down and I doubt Overeem will be up to it.

Overeem's gonna have a very small window to time his strikes, if he connects though it could be curtains. There's also a chance he catches Brock in a guillotine. The guillotine has been one of Overeem's most common fight enders in his career and he could possibly lock it up if Brock gets careless on a takedown. With the size of Brock's neck and his grappling ability I think that's a very slight chance but the threat's there.

To be honest though, outside of landing a bomb at the start of each round I don't think Overeem's chances are good and the longer it goes I think his chances get slimmer because he'll likely be carrying Brock's weight most of the time aswell as fighting his own cardio battles.

I think we'll be seeing that Dos Santos vs Lesnar fight after all sometime next year.

That is really worth remembering, I had forgotten about that weapon Overeem has.

People have been banging on about him catching Brock with a knee when he shoots, but I think the guillotine is just as or bigger a threat. Good point about Overeems cardio, that is why I dont worry about Brock gassing with the muscle he has put on against Overeem I still think he has the better tank.

Overeem needs to hope his strength is good enough to overule his lack of technique when defending takedowns, JDS has some wicked takedown defence without any wrestling background, we will see if Overeem has developed some of his own. It is forgotten by some at LHW, he got taken down quite a bit in Pride.

Peoples and Miragliotta are pretty cack and I'll throw Mazzagatti and Kim Winslow onto the shite refs pile.

Peoples and Miragliotta also have the additional bonus of being equally as awful judges as they are referees. Big Dan's main claim to fame being scoring the fight for Bas Rutten in his battle with Kevin Randleman many years back.

Kim Winslow is dreadful. Wasn't it her late stoppage that led to Julia Budd fucking up her arm when she fought 'Rowdy' Ronda recently? Whilst I'm at it, what is that ridiculous fucking gesture she does when she gets introduced? Sliding her finger down her nose, or something equally as daft.

Anyone else not looking forward to this event? It seems to be a one fight card and both Overeem and Lesnar are coming of a quite long delay from some of their worst performances for a while. Also why is Diaz fighting Cerrone as i would probably consider Cerrone top 5 Lightweights and Diaz nowhere near him in terms of rankings based on his recent performances.

For those wondering how Brock & Overeem measure up to each other physically, courtesy of a preview clip from the Countdown show filmed last month:

ehyo2u.jpg

You can watch the 10 minute preview featuring (Brock vs. Reem & Diaz vs. Cerrone) HERE. If that doesn't get you pumped, then you are simply not human.

Archived