UFC 141:Lesnar vs Overeem Discussion Thread

David

85 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They were soft as shite, even water can wear down a rock. If you flick someone in the arm a couple of hundred times it will cause a bruise.

St Pierre's boxing is as technically proficient as any ever seen in MMA. Just because he wasn't throwing crude haymakers doesn't mean they don't hurt. As someone said, Koscheck was seriously messed up after that fight.

Whilst St Pierre's fights may not be the most exciting to the casual viewer, those of us who appreciate technique and ability enjoy seeing him fight. Unlike Silva he hasn't made noises about not wanting to fight anyone, and he doesn't show disrespect to his opponent either.

I really can't wait for the day that he schools Diaz. I just hope that Condit doesn't beat him before he gets the chance.

• Paid Members

GSP deserves a ton of credit of dominating all competition at 170 over the last few years, but out of all the current UFC champions, he's without a doubt my least favourite to watch. Yes he is technically proficient and regularly schools his opponents, making them look inferior right upto the 25 minute mark, but why does the fight end up there so often? It's like watching a mouse get mauled and toyed by a cat who just wants to show how superior it is.

Won't break an orbital bone though.

Edit: of course it wouldn't. You said arm. I'm an idiot

http://blog.fightmetric.com/2010/12/gsp-vs...ric-report.html Yeah Kos was messed up, but you would be as well from 70 jabs to the face. These weren't a Nick Diaz style flurry of punches they were single jabs with the odd double and triple combo. I'm not knocking GSP's skill, once he found his range, he was in and out of Kos's strike range very quickly, but he just didn't finish. Since he's won the belt he plays it extremely safe. When you're being paid thousands of dollars to fight it's 80% for you to win and 20% to entertain. GSP is a fighter, with no part an entertainer and whilst I do respect the purity of the guy, even his entrance is dull.

• Paid Members
Lay and prey is one way of playing it safe, but never staying in Kos's range is another. He had the fight won in the third, he could have actually gone in and finished off Kos then, but he stuck to his gameplan of breaking koscheck's face
lay and pray would've been far more safe though, no?

Not with a high level wrestler like Kos, a guy who was one of the top wrestler in the States. Sure he took him donw, but Kos could get back up. Or you get a Sonnen/Silva situation where Kos pulls a submission out of his arse. GSP's striking was so much better techincally it was ridiculous. All I want him to do when he face Nick Diaz and I'm pretty sure Condit will lose to is to actually fucking finish a fight.

• Paid Members
GSP deserves a ton of credit of dominating all competition at 170 over the last few years, but out of all the current UFC champions, he's without a doubt my least favourite to watch. Yes he is technically proficient and regularly schools his opponents, making them look inferior right upto the 25 minute mark, but why does the fight end up there so often? It's like watching a mouse get mauled and toyed by a cat who just wants to show how superior it is.

Yeah that sums it up for me. GSP used to be a really exciting fighter and a regular finisher. But now he's on top and making the big money he's got more to lose and it's resulted in him playing it safe. At the same time though that's not entirely his fault if his opponents can't find a way to make a fight of it.

It doesn't help GSP's cause when he's going to the judges against Dan Hardy and then Hardy gets finished by KO and Sub in 2 of his next 3 fights by Condit and Lytle. Then after a 25 minutes against Shields, Ellenberger puts him away in 30 seconds. I know there's circumstances behind that but it lends credibility to the opinion that GSP has, as Rey Piste put, lost his 'Eye of the Tiger' and is just doing enough to get by.

• Paid Members
Look at Jones and Anderson Silva, they put on good fights and make top level world class fighters look like shit, but they're entertaining because they finish fights. GSP is dull and puts on dull fights, most of his fights are comparable to me picking on my nephews. Sure I'm going to win, but I'm not going to knock them out or apply a choke to them. GSP does the minimum amount to win via judges decision, he doesn't have that killer instinct. He's like Rocky in Rocky 3, he needs a challenge the entire division has been killed by him. Whilst he's off it's actually made the division interesting and as much as I hate the guy I hope Nick Diaz is GSP's Clubber Lang. Because GSP needs to to go to a ghetto gym and have a homo-erotic montage with a large black man getting back the eye of the tiger.

Put GSP and David Loiseau's head's on this

rocky.jpg

All I want him to do when he face Nick Diaz and I'm pretty sure Condit will lose to is to actually fucking finish a fight.

I hope he does as well, but I see the fight going the distance, with St-Pierre winning comfortably, Diaz face being a swollen monstrosity and him complaining that St-Pierre didn't "come to fight" and other such nonsense.

• Paid Members

Donald Cerrone is pissed off as is usual for him in the run up to a fight

"He's stupid. He's not very intelligent with his trash-talking. It's not like I'm going against Chael Sonnen, who will just destroy me. That guy is super intelligent and comes at people from all levels. I'm dealing with a street thug, you know, an idiot. So, I'm not real worried about his trash-talking. Just f--k him, if he wants to talk s--t, bring it on. I tried to shake his hand and be cool with the dude and he wants to take it to another level. Now, he's pissed me off and now it's personal. And now I'm going to fight a lot harder because of it."

This is gonna be fun. Got a feeling this could be a late FOTY contender.

Archived