Major League Baseball Discussion Thread

David

• Moderators
This may not be exactly what you're looking for, but I'd highly recommend joining a fantasy baseball league of some sort.

I wonder if we have enough interest here for us to put one together?

I play on FantasyBaseballUK, but I've too been spoiled by the infinitely more fun head-to-head format of NFL fantasy football to adequately enjoy any other format.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

I just subscribed to MLB.tv and it's quite, quite wonderful. Compared to shitty Sky Go, it's even better.

I haven't watched baseball for a few years but I'm picking it up again this season and really enjoy it. The Yankees are on a burn at the moment - 29 runs in the last 3 matches and Cleveland have looked absolutely terrible.

It's only watching it again now that I realise how much I missed it, actually. Lovely sport. The American cricket.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

All-Star voting is on already (three months early as always), Cubs are 6 games behind, Marlins are 10 games behind, grass is green etc.

• 1 year later...
  • Paid Members

Season begins again tonight, anyone watching Cards/Cubs?

Saw three games in SF last year, great trip, warm weather. I also went on a stadium tour of AT&T park the afternoon of the day USA were knocked out of the World Cup, the pre-game show was on AT&T Park's big screen and the bar built into the stadium was rammed for the game itself.

Yeah I'm going to be watching tonight, I sure have missed baseball. When I was a complete degenerate, baseball was the greatest sport to ever bet on. Between the choice of games and that fact it's the easiest of all sports to predict (regular season), meant I have very fond memories in the Summer months. There is no better bet than the -1.5 run line, two games is about 5 to 1.

Anyway onto the season, and I'm just happy the MLB decided to at least try and appeal to more than old white men with the new speed up rules. A baseball game which lasts between 2 and a half hours to 3 hours is perfection, one which lasts near 4 hours is a harrowing watch. Especially as a lot of that is wasted time which is can easily be rid of.

As for which teams will be successful, obviously the Dodgers & Angels will be taking the place of the Yankees and RedSox this year so they are going to be in the mix. But the Cubs will be interesting, yes they have their 5 year plan in place and tell everyone to not get too excited yet. But all you need to do is actually make the playoffs then it really is anybodies for the taking, their division isn't a bloodbath so it's doable. Hell the RedSox won in 2013 on a very similar model, so if the Cubs should just remember if that it's not that difficult to replicate. Plus 29 to 1 odds, that's great odds if you want a fun little sweat.

My one hope for this season is that A-Rod has a monster year, if only for the hilarity it will cause as the Yankees are praying he fucks off (they could have just bought him out!) and they won't have to deal with everything. There is no more fascinating player in sports than him, I love the guy for all the weird stories I've heard over the years about him.

But the Cubs will be interesting, yes they have their 5 year plan in place and tell everyone to not get too excited yet. But all you need to do is actually make the playoffs then it really is anybodies for the taking, their division isn't a bloodbath so it's doable.

I'd disagree about the BIB, In my opinion the NL Central is possibly the toughest division in baseball, The Pirates and Cardinals are 2 of the 4 best teams in the NL and the Reds and Brewers whilst probably on the way down a bit are still decent enough to cause troubles, I think the Cubs will finish above those 2 and be in the mix with the Marlins/Mets/Padres/Giants for the 2nd Wildcard spot but think they will miss out this year

Marlins fan myself, expectations are rising once again and its been a very enjoyable offseason for a change from a Miami point of view, Stanton locked up on a mega deal for 13 years, Yelich signed long term and additions to the infield in Gordon, Morse and Prado are all upgrades to what we had, If Fernandez can come back June/July and be the dominant pitcher he was before his TJ surgery then that could be huge.

As I mentioned above I think we are that mix of 5 or so teams that wll be slugging it out (pardon the pun) for the 2nd wildcard spot with the Pirates or Cards taking the 1st spot depending on who wins the Central.

Let the fun begin, most excited I've been for a season since 2012 which turned into a HUGE letdown, things look a bit more stable and longterm thought out this time however 

Edited by MVP RULZ

I tend to write the Pirates off, I know it goes against most stats but I just don't believe in them, they just don't scare me whenever I've watched them. Then again that's such a stupid way of thinking In this analytics era, still let me have my old school ignorant thoughts!!

I forgot to ask, does anyone play daily fantasy? The next few months is going to be huge with baseball, you can really make some money playing. Or at least have fun and sweat during games you wouldn't necessarily watch. It's definitely worth checking out, bloody fun and really does help get to know the league better as you're constantly looking at stats and a variety of players who are hidden gems.

• Paid Members

I forgot to ask, does anyone play daily fantasy? The next few months is going to be huge with baseball, you can really make some money playing. Or at least have fun and sweat during games you wouldn't necessarily watch. It's definitely worth checking out, bloody fun and really does help get to know the league better as you're constantly looking at stats and a variety of players who are hidden gems.

I tried it last year and swiftly forgot; I've picked a league with a few mates of mine and I'm hoping to stick with it.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone been keeping up with this season?

It's been a fantastic start, with game time coming down across the board and hitting averages seemingly up. It's still a pitchers era, but the big hitters are definitely catching up. Bryce Harper and Giancarlo Stanton, in particular, have been really great to watch. The Yankees/Nats game from last night was such good fun.

The two teams I tend to follow are the Cubs and the Mets. The Cubs have started okay, but are in the shadow of an incredible St. Louis team. Lester started weak, particularly in tossing to first, but is starting to look every inch the ace starter. The Mets started well, but the lack of depth in both the bullpen and the batting order is starting to show. They don't have as exciting or as young a team as the Cubbies either.

I've even started to have some sympathy for Yanks this year, if only because how much opposing fans seem to be digging them out,and in particular A-Rod, more than usual. But, my sympathy doesn't last long. Usually stops once I see Teixera's weird, gurning at-bat face.

I've just started playing the game,too, so I'm starting to appreciate the little rules and nuances that I never even knew existed before.

Really excited for the rest of the season.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

Its been anything but fun for me

Starting out 3-11 was bad, got it back to 12-12 and it looked like we were in position to challenge, but since then its been one disaster after another since as we've gone 4-12 and sit at 16-24 which is now bad enough for last in the East behind even the Phillies.

Cishek blew 2 saves in a row and was taken out of the closer role, Redmond was fired after getting swept for the 2nd time this season at home to the rebuilding Braves and coming 1 out from being no hit.

Thats where things got really bizarre as Redmond has been replaced in the dugout but GM Dan Jennings, who's only experiance coaching was in High School back in the 80's.

I'm prepared to give him time of course but I can't see it being anything other then a lost cause, The Pen which has been a real issue isn't going to suddenly be lights out and the Bats Stanton, Gordon and Hech aside have been Ice Cold and Gordon and Hech are not really run producers so whilst they are hitting well, Its not really helped us score many more runs overall as the guys in front in the lineup just arn't on base for them. 

Michael Morse has been a total bust at 1st and Justin Bour should really be seeing more playing time now, Yelich has been terrible this season which has been a bit alarming considering how good he has been the past season and a half since his debut, he has been injured so I'm putting it down to that but would be nice to see him get going now.

The Lack of power is really hurting Obviously Stanton aside who is doing all that can be asked with his 12 Homers (tho we've lost the last 5 games he has homered in) and league leading 38 RBIs tho I would like to see his avg a bit higher

We've lost the 1st 2 games of Jennings reign to the D'backs to make us 0-5 on this homestand and in dire need of a spark

So far this season has been one big disapointment 

Is there any way to catch MLB on TV over here?

BT Sport 1, 2 and ESPN show games every day between them, sometimes more then 1

MLB.TV is the best money can buy, I pay about 17 a month I think it is and can watch any game any time I want with choice of home or road feeds and radio commentary