Major League Baseball Discussion Thread

David

Chris Sale as a wrong sox still hurts :( 

But yeah, it should be good to see how the Three Bees you mentioned fare, thought Benintendi was excellent.  Still need those homers though, surely they can coax Big Papi out for one last time!

Do MLB.TV still just leave in a slate saying something like ‘break in progress’, or something, during the commercial breaks on OnDemand or have they cut it out yet? I much preferred the NBA app experience where they’d chop the breaks up On Demand so you could just sit back and relax.

Also, is the app chromecastable/available on PS4?

Really tough finding answers to those, but I really want to get the app this year... but don’t want it to be a chore. Trying to fast forward those breaks was a nightmare.

32 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

Do MLB.TV still just leave in a slate saying something like ‘break in progress’, or something, during the commercial breaks on OnDemand or have they cut it out yet? I much preferred the NBA app experience where they’d chop the breaks up On Demand so you could just sit back and relax.

Also, is the app chromecastable/available on PS4?

Really tough finding answers to those, but I really want to get the app this year... but don’t want it to be a chore. Trying to fast forward those breaks was a nightmare.

I had it last season and they do still have the "break in progress" screens during the commercials.

The app is available on the PS4. However, you need to set up an American account, which only takes around 5 minutes. I was using it last year on the PS4 and found it performed better than the Samsung Smart TV app I was using in 2016. Hope this helps.

Hoping for a good season for the Padres......

Edited by Abe_Knuckleball_Schwartz

Do they still have condensed games available? 

The website doesn’t seem to have them listed as a feature, which is bloody annoying.

As with most US sports, I don’t have a fixed team but follow those teams I’ve had chance to see live. Cubs and Giants are particular favourites though. Also hoping to catch a Yankees game next year around Mania time, so will keep an eye on them too.

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Chris Sale as a wrong sox still hurts :( 

But yeah, it should be good to see how the Three Bees you mentioned fare, thought Benintendi was excellent.  Still need those homers though, surely they can coax Big Papi out for one last time!

I swear if Papi came back in he would still leather about 30. I'm listening back to some Red Sox podcasts from the 2016 season, and he hit something like 38 homers while averaging over 300, which is insane for a bloke who was 42 at the time.

I don't think Martinez will come in and knock 45 bombs like last year, as much as I would love it to happen. But, if guys play to potential, we have so many with the potential for high 20's and close to 100RBIs. At that point, you only need Martinez to get 30 or so and play well, rather than brilliantly. I mean, me managed to win the division last year in spite of having no power, so I'm hopeful.

How are the White Sox looking this year, Keith? Haven't followed them much in the off season.

• Paid Members

Here we go! 

Check out the upgraded cameras on MLB.TV. Dat framerate.

EDIT: FIrst at-bat for Yadi and he smashes it out of the park for two :D

Edited by seph

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Just had a look for a year pass on MLB.TV, comes out at about 85 quid.  My Red Sox loving girlfriend says she will go halves.  I think I have to do this!

Do it.

I've taken the mighty step of leaving the pub in order to be home in time for the Red Sox opener at 9PM. I would put money on us losing like 8-0 or something now. 

2 hours ago, seph said:

Check out the upgraded cameras on MLB.TV. Dat framerate.

My word, took @Gus Mears advice and the quality is sensational.  That's on my laptop so will launch the app on Xbone and see how we go!  Will be watching the Red Sox as well!

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Keith Houchen said:

My word, took @Gus Mears advice and the quality is sensational.  That's on my laptop so will launch the app on Xbone and see how we go!  Will be watching the Red Sox as well!

It' genuinely the best online sports streaming service going. Blows the quality of Sky Go, WWE Network etc. out of the water.

21 minutes ago, Gus Mears said:

I want to boot Joe Kelly so hard up the arse that my shoe gets lodged there.

He'd still let you walk away. Fucking hell that was painful. It was baseballs version of an Arsenal loss. Still, the right sox were ace!

• 3 weeks later...

So, good to be a Red Sox or a Mets fan right now.  The excellent http://fivethirtyeight.com (A news site that uses stats and data which is fucking ace for bells like me) has their ongoing prediction for the season going.  Shit to be a White Sox fan.  Even traded Saladino today for cash.

Here's the link for the predictions. @Gus Mears I reckon this whole site might be up your alley.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2018-mlb-predictions/?ex_cid=endlink

• Paid Members

I'm absolutely loving it right now. Doubly so, as I tacitly support the Mets in the NL (love their rotation). This will end at some point, but it's incredibly satisfying watching Boston at the minute, the exact opposite of the dull brand of baseball Farrell encouraged. Stack loads of homers, players encouraged to swing on the first pitch, four fucking grand slams when we had none last year! 

So pleased to see Rick Porcello looking like that picture who surprised everyone with the Cy Young in 2016. Massive fan of the guy. Martinez has fit in well and we still have Xander and Pedey to come back. Still too early to say anything conclusive, but I can't help but be optimistic with both the quality of play and determination  (Joe 'fight club' Kelly, the come back again the Marlins).

Cheers for the link, Keith. Will definitely have a look when I'm back at a desktop.