Major League Baseball Discussion Thread

David

LA pick up his remaining $6m on his contract til the end of the season. So in post season if they make it to the World Series again that 6 million would be more than worth it. 

The Phillies still are in pole position to land Manny in free agency as they have the money available. The proposed new deal he can sign is estimated to be in the hundreds of millions if this is to be believed

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2712613-mlb-metrics-101-top-candidates-for-mlbs-1st-400-million-contract.amp.html

They also mention Mookie, Bryce Harper and Mike Trout as players who could potential sign $400m contracts tok. Also Giancarlo Stanton already had a $325m, 13 year deal with the Marlins so I imagine the Yankees have picked up the remainder of it. If they do manage to land Manny Machado too in FA then they'd be pushing their payroll through the roof just with two players alone. But adding him when Mookie and JD are pushing the Red Sox ahead of them right now might be the game changer they need to push ahead. 

Another interesting article about other potential trades etc

http://www.espn.com/blog/buster-olney/post/_/id/18723/olney-how-deadline-dominoes-will-fall-following-machado-deal

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Steve 'piss missile' Pearce ripping the shit out of Yankees last night with three bombs. I can't wait to get home and catch up on this. Considering we are missing Sale, Xander and Devers and had Brian Johnson from ACDC on the mound, it was a fantastic performance. Especially vs. traditional Red Sox killer CC Sabathia. 

Our postseason will now hinge on how well Sale and Bogaerts are. I fear for Xander, it looked such a similar injury to last year and he was useless after it. 

• 2 months later...
  • Paid Members

Into postseason we go and I reckon it'll be pretty similar for the Red Sox as in the last two years. For a team with 108 wins, it doesn't half feel like we are limping into October and I think we will end up losing against whoever wins the wildcard tonight. Delighted to see the Rockies make it NLDS, Arenado is probably my favourite player not playing in Boston and he deserves his chance to shine.

My bet for the World Series is the Indians. Have quietly had another stellar season (albeit in a dogshit division) and they are really, really well balanced. 

• Paid Members
24 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Two one off games to decide the standings was mental! I know what you mean about the Red Sox, they were phoning it in for the last ten games.

NL was miles ahead of the AL this year. Maybe not in terms of quality, but competition wise it's been a blast.

Any possible positive signs from the season for the White Sox, Keith? Haven't been paying attention to them much in all honesty. At least you're not the Orioles!

Edited by Gus Mears

They ended the season far better than they started it! Still the third worse record though, I think the next two years are rebuilds providing Jose Abreu stays put. We are a Red Sox house for the postseason, but I won't be borrowing a jersey from my other half, certainly not her Schilling one!  Think I'll wear my Sale White Sox shirt and weep.

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

They ended the season far better than they started it! Still the third worse record though, I think the next two years are rebuilds providing Jose Abreu stays put. We are a Red Sox house for the postseason, but I won't be borrowing a jersey from my other half, certainly not her Schilling one!  Think I'll wear my Sale White Sox shirt and weep.

When I went to Boston earlier in the year, my friend wanted to buy a signed baseball from the Fenway shop and couldn't believe that post-season legend Curt Schilling was so disproportionately cheap, especially when you had shite like a Robbie Ross jr.  ball selling for $30. I didn't have the heart to tell him why his Schill merch was so cheap. 

• Paid Members

Think I will try and stay up for the start of the Red Sox vs. Yankees tonight. I'm buzzing for it. Think this is going to be a close, close series, but my head says Yankees, unfortunately. Either way, think it's more likely to go five than the last couple of Red Sox postseasons. I have the horrible feeling that Sale is going to come in tonight pitching slow and get shelled for a couple of innings. 

Good game yesterday between the Rockies and the Brewers too. Christian Yelich has been such a great addition to that side.  

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members
16 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Sale has been ace against the Yankees this season, I think he and Price will have them and the Red Sox will win, but even as a non Red Sox fan, I'm dreading it in case the Yankees win.

Sale ended up being excellent seeing as this was his first proper start for ages. Fast ball had good velocity at 95 and his breaking stuff was electric.

Bullpen still did their best to fuck it all up, but a win is a win and it was a great and tense game to watch.

As has happened so many times in the past few years, it comes down to Price. Whoever wins tonight is favourite for the series. It's nice to finally get a lead in an ALDS though!

Ha, in the second inning they mentioned on the Boston commentary (I love on MLB.TV how you choose the coverage) the speed of Sale's four seamer and I thought of you!  Cheered like a motherfucker when JD smacked that homer into the Green Monster!

• Paid Members
21 hours ago, Gus Mears said:

As has happened so many times in the past few years, it comes down to Price. Whoever wins tonight is favourite for the series. It's nice to finally get a lead in an ALDS though!

Another boringly predictable failure from Boston's contractual albatross. I'm thankful for the off day. Momentum is all with New York right now.

My prediction of Cleveland for the World Series is going well too. It would be a shame if this Indians team never wins one. Great fans and a really well rounded side.

• Paid Members

He's a mental midget in pressure situations sadly, especially while playing in Boston and after losing his ability to pitch at 95mph on a consistent basis. I don't really know what you do to be honest. His contract essentially means we have to keep him in the rotation (plus, he's the kind of bloke who would be toxic if you moved him to the pen while fit), but this is going to happen every time he starts in the postseason for the remainder of his 500 year contract. It's simply not good enough for someone you are paying $30m a year on when it's the exact same thing happening every time.