Major League Baseball Discussion Thread

David

The only downer is both her jerseys have Schillings name on them so she is really conflicted on wearing them!  Might wear my white sox Chris Sale too so I can represent the south side and support the Red Sox but that’s a half and half scarf wanker thing to do!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Well, that happened. 30 runs, 6-6 after the first, a comeback for the Sox, JBjr *just* going 5-for-5 (VAR...er, instant reply overturning the out), a great atmosphere and a handful of minutes short of the record for a 9-inning game.

Welcome to baseball, London. 

Edited by seph

• Paid Members

You're in for a good game, Keith. Dead centre at that place is about 15 foot, so I imagine another 30+ run game isn't beyond the realms of possibility, especially as we're trotting captain inconsistency, Erod, to the mound this afternoon.

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Gus Mears said:

You're in for a good game, Keith. Dead centre at that place is about 15 foot, so I imagine another 30+ run game isn't beyond the realms of possibility, especially as we're trotting captain inconsistency, Erod, to the mound this afternoon.

Bore draw and 15 innings confirmed.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

God I hope so. 

Sat right behind the Yankees bullpen so those fuckers are getting pelters all afternoon. 

I'm also sat adjacent to the Yanks pen. Shame the 4G sucks in here.

• Paid Members

Whilst not a patch on yesterday's lunacy it was still a great game. Both bullpens shut the scoring down quite well until late on, and yet again the Sox managed to get the tying run on the plate in the 8th. The experience was only really marred by an errant ball tossed from the Yankee pen high in the air and landing on the bridge of a woman's nose, colour everywhere. 

Still, 50 runs over 2 games. Who could've called that??

Edited by seph

I fucking hate blog posts on this forum, they're shite.  Especially when they don't talk about the actual game.

My girlfriend has been a Red Sox fan for years.  Like many, she got into the game thanks to the Channel 5 coverage back in the day and still has fond memories of finishing work at the pub and settling down with Johnny and Josh to watch the baseball.  We missed out on the cheap tickets thanks to them selling out instantly, but she thought to herself "When am I realistically going to get the chance to see the Red Sox with my own eyes" and shelled out for some resale tickets.  They were actually 20% below face value as well and were in row 10, so I assumed this would be 10 rows back from the front.

We drove down from Manchester with the intention of getting to the car park at Stratford International (Pre booked a space for 9 quid).  She was fretting about the tickets not being legit and I was fretting about the car park saving a space.  After a lovely sojourn down the M6 and M1, we knew we'd hit London once we were on the M25.  However that was a piece of piss compared to the M11 and subsequent A roads that followed, pretty much stop start all the way.  Didn't have any bother though, Much like my posts I'm quite a boring and slow driver.  The only grief I got was when I had the temerity to let a bus out and then 20 yards later, not drive through the lights as they turned red.  An Uber driver beeped me and yelled "What you doing" out of his window (due to the heat everyones windows were open).  I glared at him out of my open window and said "I'm annoying you" and fixed my stare until he looked away a few seconds later.  I went straight on at the lights and he turned.  It was my Chris Sale fastball striking him out in my mind.

Found the car park and drove in.  It was clear that there wasn't a section for the reserved spaces so lord knows what I'd have done if it wasn't half empty.  After over 5 hours, we were parked and were heading to the stadium.  I'm pretty good with maps and directions so I knew our first steps were to be past the Stratford rail station.  As we approached, one of the volunteers clocked me in my White Sox cap and Chris Sale White Sox top (It still hurts, dammit) and my girlfriend in her Red Sox cap and asked if we were heading to the game.  She pointed out the quickest way, which differed from mine to be honest, and said there would be signs en route to guide us.  The volunteers were excellent and went a long way to ensure the best day possible for everyone, hats off to them.

We got in no bother, the entrance was well managed, unlike the merch stands which were constantly busy with massive queues, even during the game!  I thought we should get our seats first, then grab a drink and something to eat.  I was keen to do this to get my bearings as I'd never been in the stadium before and love being in a new stadium or ground.  Remember I thought we were 10 rows back?  The numbers started at 8 so we were three from the front.  The front being the Yankees bullpen, was hoping for the Red Sox bullpen but I wasn't going to complain.  What struck me was how small the playing area seemed compared to how I thought it would look, I guess the TV perspective adds to it.  This was the view, taken mid game.

IMG_0023

Unsurprisingly, there seemed to be a lot more Yankees fans in the area but more Sox fans started arriving.  Many fans of both teams were over from the states so that really added to the atmosphere for me.  There was a family behind me who were Bostonian and I loved hearing one of the young girls say "The Bobby Moore Stand, the Sir Trevor Brooking Stand, the Billy Bonds Stand, I wonder who those guys are".  Anyway the pre show was starting so I thought now is the time for a hot dog.  One for the #EATCLEAN thread.

IMG_0022

Got back to our seats and Craig David was was performing Fill Me In, the announcer asked us to show our appreciation for "Creg David" which I loved!  The bell ends from A League Of Their Own were doing something, I literally booed Jamie Redknapp and waited for game time.  I'm not going to analyse the game or anything as far more knowledgable people have done that.  What I will say is I loved how the scoreboard has little bits of info pop up for whatever situation was happening during the game and really kept people informed.

During the second or third inning, 4 people showed up and took their seats, two in front of us, two next to us.  One of them knew the game and the others didn't, including his girlfriend who was keen to Instagram everything.  They disappeared an inning later and I thought they'd fucked off.  However, after that Yankee 7th inning where they hit everything, they reappeared.  All 4 of them had Yankee jerseys and caps.  I didn't think I could hate them any more than I did. This was them

giphy.gif

Wankers.

All in all, despite the result, it was an amazing experience.  We joined in the singalongs, I high kicked along to New York, New York and I got to watch the biggest rivalry in baseball play a game.  However, my favourite bit obviously involved shithousery.  There were some kids rushing the front trying to get a ball tossed to them at every opportunity and they didn't get a single one.  The pitching coach did throw one, but it was to a grown man who was wearing a Yankees jersey and cap as the kids in their non Yankees clobber looked on with tears in their eyes.  Proper baseball!

(Bonus pic of Chapman warming up)

IMG_0024

• Moderators

First ever good blog post on this board.  You had a cracking day. 

I bet the Gouldfish (caught by a commercial break on the US Feed with a mouth full of Yorkie), Josh and David Lengel are proud.

Speqking of Josh he's a massively respected writer now. His books have been mentioned on Oprah and everything and is now a competitive curler. A real intelligent and athletic renaissance man. And still finds time to be best mates with Jonny Gould. (Gouldfish does rule tho) 

Edited by PowerButchi

• 3 months later...
  • Paid Members

Last night was a wild one, wasn't it? Club record runs in the first inning, 3 pitchers burned by the third and a great display from Jack Flaherty on the mound. The Dodgers getting dumped out was the cherry on the cake.

I'm really hoping it's Houston taking on the Yanks in the ALCS.