Major League Baseball Discussion Thread

David

• 3 months later...
  • Paid Members

I'm digging this thread up after 4 months to answer the question above; TLDR is that someone in either the Marlins, Pirates or both teams got tested positive and that's blown up so badly since then pretty much every team's had at least 2-3 games chalked off already.

On the 7th of June all MLB.TV subbers (Keith check your inbox) were offered either a refund of ~45% to be clicked for, or a 45% deposit on next year's subscription.

About an hour ago I got a mail back from MLB saying my refund's being processed.... i'm getting 75% back.

MLB's fucked it and will be done well before October.

• 1 month later...

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2910787-mlb-playoffs-2020-explaining-wild-card-format-divisional-series-and-more

*Austin Powers voice* Oh no, I've gone cross-eyed. Lot of fun though and ripe for a few upsets hopefully. Go Cardinals!!!*

*Tenuous link to my trip to the states in 98 where I saw McGwire and Sosa battle it out and became obsessed with it.

• Paid Members
17 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2910787-mlb-playoffs-2020-explaining-wild-card-format-divisional-series-and-more

*Austin Powers voice* Oh no, I've gone cross-eyed. Lot of fun though and ripe for a few upsets hopefully. Go Cardinals!!!*

*Tenuous link to my trip to the states in 98 where I saw McGwire and Sosa battle it out and became obsessed with it.

Cards fan here :)

16-team KO format is only weird if one's been used to the three best teams plus the 2nd-place team with the best record (until 2012), then a one-game playoff with the two best 2nd-place teams (2012-19 and maybe 21+ if this one doesn't stick).

17 years I've waited to experience this moment again, the Marlins are playing a Play off game again

I'm not expecting to win but think we've a shot if the starting Pitching of Sandy, Sixto and Lopez holds up

Regardless it's just great being in this position, it's at least a year then I expected to be fighting for a playoff spot and who knows if in a full normal season we would be here but I'll just enjoy the ride even if it lasted only 2 days

• Paid Members
21 hours ago, MVP RULZ said:

17 years I've waited to experience this moment again, the Marlins are playing a Play off game again

I'm not expecting to win but think we've a shot if the starting Pitching of Sandy, Sixto and Lopez holds up

Regardless it's just great being in this position, it's at least a year then I expected to be fighting for a playoff spot and who knows if in a full normal season we would be here but I'll just enjoy the ride even if it lasted only 2 days

And it may last a little longer now, may it keep going for a while :D

• 4 weeks later...

Watched the Mark McGwire/Sammy Sosa 30 for 30 the other day and it's really great, as per.

I was obsessed with this story because, as luck would have it, I was in the States for the first two weeks of September in 1998, and just became enamoured with it. I don't think I'd ever been interested in baseball before that, basketball was always my US sport of choice, but it was everywhere.

I'd get my step mum to buy the USA Today every morning, and there is a scrap book somewhere with all the cuttings from the home run race, and then I got to see Big Mac do it whilst sat in a Sizzler. What a time.

I wanted McGwire to win the race, but I also loved Sammy as well, and in the documentary you can tell they shared/share a unique bond from that time period. Their press conferences together were quite touching.

Obviously, there is now a massive * next to both their names and records, and then Big Head Barry came along and blitzed it, and the film makes a strong case for Mark and Sammy being scapegoats for that period and carrying a lot on their shoulders. On the other hand, they used performance enhancing drugs to achieve it so...

Anyway, for 2 weeks aged 13 I loved watching them two battle it out, and this is well worth a watch if you're interested in the story. Quality on this rip is a bit rough, but I couldn't be arsed searching for a better one.

Also never realised just how excellent McGwire was a college player/rookie. 

https://sockshare.123movies.online/watch-tv-30-for-30-season-4-episode-8-online-sockshare-3915-full

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Obviously, there is now a massive * next to both their names and records, and then Big Head Barry came along and blitzed it, and the film makes a strong case for Mark and Sammy being scapegoats for that period and carrying a lot on their shoulders. On the other hand, they used performance enhancing drugs to achieve it so...

McGwire fessed up with a few waterworks thrown in and got steady work coaching for years afterwards. Bonds made himself so toxic he retired at least 2 seasons early because nobody wanted him.

Off this topic it's WS game 6 tonight. Despite COVID this turned out a proper little season. The MOAR PLAYOFFS experiment led to a bunch of kickings apart from the Cards and the White Sox, and the Cubs now know what it's like to dominate a season and blow two games that mattered a little more. I think the Dodgers will take it tonight as they're long overdue.

Edited by seph

I watched the 30 for 30 fairly recently as well when it was on BT Sport, really enjoyed it, I started to watch Baseball around 2000 so only saw the very end of McGwires career

Regarding the World Series I think the Dodgers will take it tonight as well

On holiday from work so will stay up and watch tonight and tomorrow if needed.

Been a good series thus far and that Game 4 was something else one of the best WS games certainly since I've been watching over the last 20 years or so