Major League Baseball Discussion Thread

David

• 4 months later...
  • Paid Members
2 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Just read that there is another lock out. What's happened this time?

https://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2021/12/2/22814019/mlb-lockout-explained-in-5-minutes

TLDR creative accounting skimming more off player revenue than committed, plus more playoff games means the owners get a bigger slice. Players want transparency, protection from deliberately being kept on Minor contracts, mandatory free agency (Bosman) after 5/6 years and for teams to stop being shit on purpose to cut costs and land draft picks.

• Paid Members

Quite excited to get into my first MLB season from the beginning. I joined around (I think) halfway through last year's season after getting hooked on MLB The Show. I decided to follow the Seattle Mariners and went from regret to optimism to heartbreak in pretty quick succession. 
Really looking forward to following them all the way this time but I have no idea what the start of the season entails. What pre-season stuff should I keep an eye out for? 

7 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

Quite excited to get into my first MLB season from the beginning. I joined around (I think) halfway through last year's season after getting hooked on MLB The Show. I decided to follow the Seattle Mariners and went from regret to optimism to heartbreak in pretty quick succession. 
Really looking forward to following them all the way this time but I have no idea what the start of the season entails. What pre-season stuff should I keep an eye out for? 

Spring Training!! It’s like a month of friendlies. I don’t know how into it you are but MLB.TV is easily the best platform I’ve ever seen sport on. If you can afford it, get the year sub. Although you can get the trial when / if Spring Training starts!  Also the official MLB app is great for seeing roster transactions and latest news for your team. 

Minor League affiliate teams are like reserve football. Players rehabbing an injury, young prospects, and players out of form go to theirs. Tacoma are Seattles “AAA” (wasn’t that an old username of yours?) team. There are other levels of minor league below that one. My minor league team isn’t a White Sox affiliate because once I saw the Rocket City Trash Pandas I knew they were my team!

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Spring Training!! It’s like a month of friendlies. I don’t know how into it you are but MLB.TV is easily the best platform I’ve ever seen sport on. If you can afford it, get the year sub. Although you can get the trial when / if Spring Training starts!  Also the official MLB app is great for seeing roster transactions and latest news for your team. 

Minor League affiliate teams are like reserve football. Players rehabbing an injury, young prospects, and players out of form go to theirs. Tacoma are Seattles “AAA” (wasn’t that an old username of yours?) team. There are other levels of minor league below that one. My minor league team isn’t a White Sox affiliate because once I saw the Rocket City Trash Pandas I knew they were my team!

I almost exclusively used the MLB.TV app to catch up on games last season but the cost of buying it that close to the end was extortionate. When the Spring Training starts I'll look into the year sub again but remember it being pretty pricey!

I got a sniff of the AA and AAA teams doing the season stuff on MLBTS so might keep an eye out for that but with the amount of MLB games a week not sure I'll have the time!

EDIT: Oh I just looked and the Offseason MLB TV package is only $24.99. Some of their documentary and On-Demand stuff I caught last year was worth the price of admission alone. Not sure what "selected pre-season games" means though in terms of how many it will have.

Edited by FelatioLips

6 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

almost exclusively used the MLB.TV app to catch up on games last season but the cost of buying it that close to the end was extortionate. When the Spring Training starts I'll look into the year sub again but remember it being pretty pricey!

Yeah as a one off payment it’s a lot, and exchange rates can fluctuate. If you do opt for it and want to watch a game the next day, remember to tick the spoilers box, otherwise the score will be there when you load it up!  There is a slightly cheaper option where you can get access to one teams games as opposed to every game. 

My girlfriend is a big baseball fan too, and her team is east coast, so when they have a day game, it’s on at a watchable hour for us. So regularly we would have baseball evenings where we’d have hot dogs and curly fries and watch the ball game!

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Remember to tick the spoilers box, otherwise the score will be there when you load it up! 

They've also got a dodgy habit of including a screen from the game which may or may not be a key event. Best hold a hand over the relevant screen when clicking 😄

1 hour ago, FelatioLips said:

Aye I had the spoiler settings on already thanks!

Baseball nights sound good but my wife couldn’t be less arsed. I was happy sticking a game on and being a potato for the evening alone!

Yeah, it’s not always happy when the White Sox play the Red Sox. Plus the guy who lived in the other flat in the house is a Yankees fan from Brooklyn, so there were some not so cordial nights!

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to keep just coming in here posting links without much to add (why break the habit of a lifetime waheeeey) but this is another excellent article I've read today. 

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/feb/21/before-brooklyn-the-secret-heroes-who-helped-break-baseballs-color-barrier

The book sounds brilliant and will definitely be picking up a copy when I've read some of my list.