Major League Baseball Discussion Thread

David

• Paid Members

That was fucking dynamite. Pissing all over the Yankees in their back yard and making it to the ALCS for the first time in five years.

Houston is an entirely different proposition and they are a brilliantly rounded team apart from the bullpen. I don't know, I think we have got a good 33% or so chance. 

Last couple of nights have been wonderful though. A comprehensive hammering in New York.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/10/2018 at 8:50 AM, Gus Mears said:

Houston is an entirely different proposition and they are a brilliantly rounded team apart from the bullpen. I don't know, I think we have got a good 33% or so chance. 

Yeah, about that..

• Paid Members

I've rarely been more pleased to be wrong.

Really was a quite astonishing performance by Boston, especially without Chris Sale for the most part, Craig Kimbrel being out of sorts and Mookie not being Mookie. It does illustrate what a complete team this is, with guys like JBJ and Steve Pearce chipping in and some phenomenal defence. I ended up waking up at 4AM for game 4 and it was about as good a two hours of baseball as I'm ever likely to see. The quality of baseball both sides were playing was unreal and the fact it was capped off by probably the best catch I've seen all season is appropriate. 

We should  beat either NL team on paper. But the Dodgers took the Astros deep last year and are dangerous. Would love, love, love to make the detestable Manny Machado miserable (absolutely nailed on to be a Yankee next year).

Oh, I alluded to it in the celebs thread in on-topic, but fucking Bob Eucker is still commentating the Brewers games! I can't tell you what a delight it's been banging those on replay through MLBTV at work while pretending I've got the Parliament channel on. 

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members

Two to go. Amazing to see the birth of PLAYOFF PRICE after, literally, a decade of being utterly honking in October. 

It isn't over until it's over, but you can't start any better than we have done. What I have loved about this playoff run more than anything is the fact that fringe and lower order players have stepped up majorly. JBJ, Nunez, Devers, Pearce, Kelly, Eovaldi. All of these guys who haven't been stars have made this team a juggernaut over the past month. Kelly's inning during game 1 was probably the best I've seen him pitch in the 4 years he's been here! 

LA in LA is a different proposition. No more moaning about the temperature, or the fact that the bullpen is two near the fans (seriously).But wow, wasn't expecting to kick off the World Series with two on the board. 

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Well @Gus Mears, did you stay up for that one?  I fell asleep about the 11th.

Woke back up just in time for my soul to he ripped asunder from my body in the 18th. It could not have happened in a worse way and that might be Ian Kinsler's Bill Buckner moment. A devastating loss that has destroyed our pitching for the rest of the series.

• Paid Members
On 10/27/2018 at 3:38 PM, Gus Mears said:

Woke back up just in time for my soul to he ripped asunder from my body in the 18th. It could not have happened in a worse way and that might be Ian Kinsler's Bill Buckner moment. A devastating loss that has destroyed our pitching for the rest of the series.

As usual, proved to be completely correct here as the Red Sox romped home to the World Series in one above the minimum.

What an incredible season and what an incredible team. I've grown into being an avid watcher of baseball over the past couple of years and it feels like a real journey from going to Boston and Fenway all the way back in March for Spring training to this. This is probably the best Red Sox team of all time and a side that will be in the discussion for most dominating ever over a season.

Some big decisions to be made this off season and our window with this team only really extends until the end of next due to a glut of free agency in 2019. Still, fair fucks to Dave Dombrowski and a 4th title in 14 years after chuff all for 82 is pretty remarkable.  

• Paid Members
37 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

My other half is a Dodgers fan and said she was hoping to catch a couple of the games during her days off work. Not so much now.

To be fair to her, I wouldn't have been surprised if game three was still going on now. I caught the first inning before going to bed and woke up about 7 hours later to see the Dodgers win in the 18th. If I ever hear an American moan again about how stupid the scheduling of a test match is again, I'll refer them to that. 

• 5 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Yeah, if I don't get one or the cheaper options before it's ravaged by touts, I'm just going to go to whatever pub the UK Red Sox supporters group ends up renting, along with my mate who's also a fan.

Thing is, you're going to see fuck bloody all until you're paying numpty prices anyway. If I can get a relatively cheap ticket largely for the atmosphere, great. Otherwise, pub it is.

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members
35 minutes ago, Gus Mears said:

Thing is, you're going to see fuck bloody all until you're paying numpty prices anyway.

Unless you're in the bleacher set (131-142), then you'll be seeing balls closer than you might find comfortable.