Major League Baseball Discussion Thread

David

MLB.tv broke my heart.

It just wouldn't work on my work computer. It'd play for maybe 15/20 minutes on each game and then just go to black.

I work across two screens and on 9 days out of ten I can usually watch something on the second screen. The NBA app works fine, but it just wasn't having the MLB one. Gutted.

I can get ESPN on my screen through a work sign on, so I can usually catch whatever 2 hour condensed games are on during the day but I wish the MLB.tv would work for me. Bastards.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

• 10 months later...
  • Paid Members

Following the Blue Jays this year (mates living over in Hamilton so its his team as the wife and family are mad for baseball), seasons been a weird one already. Trying to pick up as much knowledge as I can from reading and watching (the one consistent upside of Aspergers) but the way the third game ended with the double play from the new sliding rule took a while to get my head around, all I know is there was a lot of pissed off Canadians.

Donaldson's been okay, not great but hit a great 3 run home run in the fourth game against the Rays.

Hoping for a good year by them overall, teams strong and there's good building in the playoff position from last year.

It's exciting to pick a new sport up too.

Riot, for example I watched the 4th game at 6pm our time on Wednesday as it was a day game, but you're usually looking around the midnight mark going on for a good 3/4 hours. May be best trying to find highlight packages or some form of sky plus if you're just getting into it.

Edited by Shy Dad

• Paid Members

I follow it religously. Catch a game most nights. I have a mlb.tv subscription so normally try to catch the Tigers depending on the time. If there are day games on BT sport i may get my fix on that though.

Its a good time to be a Blue Jays fan, they should take the divison this year. Sanchez looked great in his start which could really elevate the rotation.

I dont know if you play Fantasy Baseball Shydad but its a great way to further improve your enjoyment and knowledge.

You can get 2 minute higlights of each game quite easily. Just by visiting mlb.com or Baseball tonight which seems to be pretty much daily

Edited by ElCece

• 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Is it ironic that I couldn't give a stuff about baseball, but for the second time in three years, I've won of the 22 tickets up for grabs in our company's raffle to go see a Yankee's game from a corporate suite? Yankees vs. White Sox on Friday 13th May. Was a great experience last time, because there is a never-ending buffet of delicious food, and a bottomless fridge full of beers.

• Paid Members

I really want to get into baseball you know. I like the *idea* of it. How late do games come on over here? Where do I start?

Most days BT Sport (on one channel or another) have a game from around 9pm-midnight and then a second game from midnight or 1am to 3am/4am.

• 11 months later...
  • Paid Members

I really got into baseball when over in Boston during Papi's last game. That and my best mate is a huge Red Sox fan.

So buckled up and got MLB network. Am enjoying it more every game, it's wonderful being able to watch pretty much wall to wall baseball every work night if I can't be arsed to go out.

Main thought on first couple of days is that Bumgarner is my pick for MVP.  Great all round player and an example of why cricket and baseball rock. He's a hass. 6,5 and with a good darby. Proper sportsman.

Edited by Gus Mears

Yeah, he is ace.  I'm a White Sox fan and the game last night was rained off, so it's been played now (NOT LIVE DISCUSSION, and not gay).  When people give it the old bollocks of how it's just rounders, I tell them it's far more like cricket.  I'd go as far as to say the reason Baseball isn't as popular over here is down to a dismissive snobbery of American sports.

Gus, there is a documentary series by Ken Burns about Baseball, it's about 20 hours long but it is brilliant.  I watched it on Canadian Netflix but I'm sure it's out there in internetland.

• Paid Members

Mam,  I am up to my tits in documentaries you have recommended  (in a positive sense) after the fascist architecture stuff last week and now this. Cheers 

Yeah, I'm currently watching the Sox game that was definitely yesterday.  I'm tacitly supporting your lot solely because the Tigers pitcher decided to throw to first 8 times in 5 pitches, thus making him an utter tosspot. 

I agree it's more like cricket, though cricket will always be IRAN NUMBER 1. RUSSIA NUMBER  1. for me. It's got some blokes who aren't in great shape, tactics and time to breath. It's a game that goes on forever and you can bring the newspaper to while sinking a few cans. I'm a sports whore in general,  but I have a soft spot for those games you can make a day or an evening out of and don't need to Clockwork Orange your eyes for 90 minutes for.

I love baseball season. :)

Tampa Bay Rays are my team, & have been since about 2004 ... never took much interest in the game prior to that, but I'm a yearly subscriber to the MLB TV thing, plus attend games when available in Tampa or New York. :)

Love it.

• Paid Members

MLB TV is the benchmark for all similar services I think. It's superb.

Been some bobby dazzlers last few days as well. Red Sox vs Oriels have had two sterling games with a shit-ton of home runs. Fenway usually does produce cracking baseball, but it's been particularly good. Also caught Tigers vs. Sox on Monday and while a very low scorer (2-1) offered some top drawer pitching from Chris Sale.