Japanese Earthquake and Tsunami

patiirc

The whole thing is just nuts. This perhaps sounds a bit crude and narrow minded but i think the fact it's a developed nation with an infrastructure not too dissimilar to ours that we can relate to it more and it certainly hit me harder than seeing any other news footage from over years when a natural disaster has hit some third world country.

This aerial video where the first wave comes in from the coastline is staggering and i think i've watched it over and over again in shock and amazement; predominantly a rural area with the rice paddy fields intersected with roads but the way it just churned up the fields and anything in it's path was frightening. Watching earlier again today i noticed about 2:20 a guy stopping his car and doing a three-point turn and bombing it back down in the other direction as he noticed the wave approaching. He ends up cutting off road and going onto the fields trying to race away just as the clip ends. It sounds ridiculous but i can't help thinking what happened to that person and, barring a miracle, what a horrible way to go that would have been.

And another one which my GF noticed yesterday - wish she hadn't mentioned it - was what looks like someone, maybe more than one in the car at 14 seconds getting flung around like something in a washing machine against their rear windscreen.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
I don't think the Mayan predictions are a conspiracy, are they? :confused:

I'm no expert on the subject but I am under the impression that the Mayan's never even made any predictions and lets not forget that for years it was 1999 that the World was going to "end" and I personally don't remember any mention of 2012 before recent years.

That aside some of the footage so far has made my stomach turn.

No, the Mayans made no predictions. The whole bollocks about 2012 is simply because the famous Mayan calendar discovered by archaeologists ended at 2012; pretty much every real expert on the subject reckons it was simply because the artisan(s) making it just ran out of space to add any more years, and didn't really feel the need to make any more because it was several hundred years in the future and therefore not urgent.

Not sure where you got that from mate, the Mayan Long Count Year is recorded going up until the year 4772 or thereabouts.

I should be more discerning, I suppose. I've just seen so much stuff all over the Internet claiming that that's what it was. Didn't really think to question it because it made sense.

• Paid Members
'Karma for Pearl Harbour' according to some Americans out there on Twitter - yup like 2 atomic bombs wasn't enough, for fuck sake. :rolleyes:

I read somewhere that alot of this is down to those mutants over on 4Chan. No idea how true that is, mind.

• Paid Members

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/4/20110313/twl-me...la-41f21e0.html

Japan's nuclear safety agency has said the cooling system of a second nuclear reactor at the Fukushima nuclear plant has failed, with experts constantly monitoring levels of radioactivity in the quarantined area.

Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano said that a partial meltdown in Unit Three of the Fukushima Dai-ichi power plant is "highly possible."

Unit Three is one of three working reactors at the Fukushima plant that have been damaged, losing the cooling functions necessary to keep the fuel rods working properly.

On Saturday, an explosion destroyed the walls of Unit One as operators desperately tried to prevent it from overheating and melting down.

He said radiation levels briefly rose above legal limits, but that it has since declined significantly.

Some 170,000 people have been ordered to evacuate the area covering a radius of 12 miles around the plant in Fukushima near Iwaki.

• Paid Members

Have been rather worried about a lot of my friends, as well as my ex's family (who were lovely to me when I visited them) - been keeping ahead of events on Facebook, and am now relieved that no-one I know has been hit. One of my mates in Tokyo mentioned that the government's operating a series of planned blackouts to conserve power.

• Paid Members

One of my very goos friends/ex house mate has been living there for the last 7 months or so, she is a doctor (in Science) and this is something she posted early today:

LOADS more earthquakes since yesterday and my island is now upgraded to the maximum category in major tsunami warning. So I'm staying in my safe house. Telly is scrolling warnings. Here is a link to what has been going on (using GMT), red ones are over 6 magnitude; the most recent cluster was about 1hour ago, so the next tsunami is coming

Earthquake info

That all sounds metal, i haven't seen the news so i dont know the latest but some of those stats are bloody insane, look how frequent they are!

• Awards Moderator

That's terrifying; the sheer volume and frequencies are unfathomable. We still haven't heard back from my friend who lives in Matsudo-shi. A load of us have tried to contact him via phone, email, text and even Facebook and nobody has had a response. He's always quick to reply to messages, too. If he's in an area suffering a power shortage, I just hope it's a government enforced one.

• Paid Members
That's terrifying; the sheer volume and frequencies are unfathomable. We still haven't heard back from my friend who lives in Matsudo-shi. A load of us have tried to contact him via phone, email, text and even Facebook and nobody has had a response. He's always quick to reply to messages, too. If he's in an area suffering a power shortage, I just hope it's a government enforced one.

Without trying to be dismissive, I think there's a good chance your friend's OK. My ex's family I referred to before live in Matsudo, and apparently the disruption wasn't as large as dreaded.

• Awards Moderator

Without trying to be dismissive, I think there's a good chance your friend's OK. My ex's family I referred to before live in Matsudo, and apparently the disruption wasn't as large as dreaded.

Yeah, we've been checking every news site possible and there are very few reports of anything of significance (in comparison) happening where he is. We just wish the fucker would get in touch!

Had an old friend from university that is currently out in Tokyo who left a message on his Facebook profile assuring everyone that he's fine.

Some of the places the Tsunami struck looks like something from End Of Days. The one thing I can say at least is that while at times the Irish (and I suppose British) weather can be shite - OK, quite a lot of the time, at least we don't have to contend with major earthquakes, floods or droughts like those seen in Australia in the last few years, massive fires causing loss of life & property, life endangering animals e.g. poisonous spiders & snakes, regular extremes of weather etc. etc. Where we live by worldwide standards is pretty safe and comfortable from much of the havoc unleashed by nature.

'Karma for Pearl Harbour' according to some Americans out there on Twitter - yup like 2 atomic bombs wasn't enough, for fuck sake. :rolleyes:

I read somewhere that alot of this is down to those mutants over on 4Chan. No idea how true that is, mind.

Last night someone on 4chan posted a massive collage full of people who had expressed these types of comments on their Facebooks, over the course of several hours a campaign began in which people "outed" these idiots and harvested their personal info (names, addresses, schools, places of work) in order to notify their schools and workplaces in order to inform them that they were associating with racists.

4chan may be the sewer of the Internet, but sometimes they can do good things.

...and that's why I don't use my real name on Facebook.

Anyway, here's some reading material:

LOL, America

LOL, Facebook

• Paid Members

Last night someone on 4chan posted a massive collage full of people who had expressed these types of comments on their Facebooks, over the course of several hours a campaign began in which people "outed" these idiots and harvested their personal info (names, addresses, schools, places of work) in order to notify their schools and workplaces in order to inform them that they were associating with racists.

4chan may be the sewer of the Internet, but sometimes they can do good things.

...and that's why I don't use my real name on Facebook.

Anyway, here's some reading material:

LOL, America

LOL, Facebook

The pinned thread in /b/ is insane. Excellent links Vito!

Archived