Japanese Earthquake and Tsunami

patiirc

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Been another earthquake this time in Honshu in eastern Japan - not sure of the magnitude yet - and buildings in Tokyo are swaying.

If you check out the American geologists website, there have been well over 200 earthquakes in the last week, some over 6.0 on the scale. Even before the big one there were 15/16 a day in that region.

Decided to go along with the swarm, and am heading to Hiroshima. Hopefully it is all a massive over-reaction and I can return to Tokyo soon.

The British media have been horrendous - my parents have seriously been asking me questions like "Can you eat? Isnt all the food contaminated?" Of course, the French Embassy havent helped by being melodramatic.

• Paid Members

From what I've been able to glean from friends over there, the Japanese authorities haven't exactly been helpful to foreign broadcasters either. My mate works at A.P. - he was actually just supposed to be there as a researcher for a few weeks when the tsunami hit, and now he's their main point-man. He's been keeping a lot of people up-to-date on FB and Twitter, but he also got frustrated enough to post this note (yes, his punctuation's rubbish, but I think that's probably because he's doing most of it from a phone):

quite a lot of this trip smashing my head against the brick wall of stupidity that is japanese bureaucracy, while outside the police stations and administrative offices, on one occasion quite literally, whole towns are destroyed & a crisis deepens. nonsense like needing a setsumeisho (formal letter of introduction, in japanese, stamped by the boss of the co i'm working for -- they don't even exist outside japan, as the woman asking for it accepted, but she still wanted one) and a company address in japan ('but we're a uk broadcaster'... 'but you need an address in japan'... 'but we're a uk... oh for fks sake'), to get some accreditation thing i needed... and so on.

look japan, your country is in the biggest crisis it has faced since the 2nd world war. you're fucked. 000s of people are dead/dying and it's not getting any better. just for once, can you please tell your millions of petty officials and form-fillers, that just for once there are more important things to worry about. if it helps, please explain to them that no-one in central government in tokyo is goind to read their daft paperwork now anyway. they have other things to do, believe it or not. that scrap of paper is going straight into the bin. and meanwhile, there is masses to do, right now, right outside the front door of your office.

and those gaijin who are offering to help, or trying to explain to the world why they need to help? why not just let them help/explain. they don't need you to do anything for them, just don't stop, hassle or refuse them because they lack some daft form or other, that they probably lack because they raced to japan to help in such a hurry anyway!

'scuse the rant, but it's a little frustrating and *I've* been much luckier than most http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12756366

and if you're japanese and agree, why not make the same point yourself. eventually local media might pick it up and then at last the tyranny of these petty officials might be over and the real recovery effort can begin. it can't come too soon.

• Paid Members

Some more things:

Official Play For Japan website

We've got several events lined up, and Hackett London have just offered to produce a limited edition "Play For Japan" polo shirt, from which ALL proceeds will go to the Japan Society Relief Fund, which, as I understand it, will be largely focused on the Tohoku area which has been affected (surrounding Fukushima).

• Paid Members
I may be wrong but I have always been under the impression that bureaucracy in Japan is infamous so I'm hardly supsrised to read that.

It is, very much so. They're worse than the UK for red tape.

There was an infamous story (although it could be apocryphal) that the reason why Pearl Harbour happened wasn't because the Japanese were planning a sneak attack, but because they'd declared war on the US, and the official at the Japanese embassy in Washington was so determined to make sure the declaration was typed up in the right language and on the right paper, the attack happened before he could hand the damn thing in.

Might not be true, but it's safe to say that Japanese bureaucracy is so legendary that it really wouldn't be a stretch to believe it would be true.

• Paid Members
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3TM9GL2iLI

Dog refuses to leave injured friend. This had me a little misty eyed, I have to admit.

saw that clip, quite odd to watch and yet so endearing and quite emotional, cut and edit here and there, that's a scene from a rather fucked kids film where the dogs talk. Not to make a joke on the subject but it's what popped in my noggin.

The Sun's incredible front page today with massive Bio-Hazard symbol was just nuts. Who gave the OK for that!?

Archived