Japanese Earthquake and Tsunami

patiirc

• Paid Members
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3TM9GL2iLI

Dog refuses to leave injured friend. This had me a little misty eyed, I have to admit.

There's no way I can watch that, I'll cry like a little girl. Dogs are the best.

I bawled :(

Im not afraid to admit it IF i do watch i will cry my eyes out, and thats a BIG if.

EDIT, I watched, heart wrenching!

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, things at the power plant take another sinister turn.

It's now the no.4 reactor that's a cause for concern. When the reactor was shut down following the earthquake, the uranium rods were removed from the reactor and placed in the cooling pools, which are OUTSIDE the reactor and it's protecting steel container.

That would normally mean they are essentially cooled off and harmless, but it seems that the cooling pool is now completely drained of water, and there is enough uranium in close proximity at a high enough temperature that a fission chain reaction could re-start. Outside the reactor and its protective measures.

This would explain why radioactivity levels have been rising steadily at the plant. If fission does occur, then it's game over I'd imagine.

• Paid Members
What would fission do in thicker people terms? :(

Think Chernobyl. Which is not kawaii at all.

There was a recent radio broadcast (I'm having trouble finding the link, unfortunately) where a number of British officials liaising with their Japanese counterparts emphasised that, even in a worst-case scenario, Fukushima couldn't be as disastrous as Chernobyl - firstly because Chernobyl's radioactive material was chucked 5,000ft into the air, whereas the reactor at Fukushima can only be reasonably expected to chuck it a couple of hundred feet, meaning that, instead of being thrown over a couple of hundred miles radius, the furthest it could reach is 30km around the plant; disastrous, but not as bad. Secondly, the main problem with Chernobyl was that the local people were still eating and drinking from sources in the contaminated areas, whereas in Japan they're very likely to be thorough in their clean-ups where possible, and evacuate where not.

Not to trivialise, as it is a disaster, but Chernobyl was significantly worse than Fukushima is likely to ever be, even in a worst-case scenario.

• Moderators
What would fission do in thicker people terms? :(

Think Chernobyl. Which is not kawaii at all.

There was a recent radio broadcast (I'm having trouble finding the link, unfortunately) where a number of British officials liaising with their Japanese counterparts emphasised that, even in a worst-case scenario, Fukushima couldn't be as disastrous as Chernobyl - firstly because Chernobyl's radioactive material was chucked 5,000ft into the air, whereas the reactor at Fukushima can only be reasonably expected to chuck it a couple of hundred feet, meaning that, instead of being thrown over a couple of hundred miles radius, the furthest it could reach is 30km around the plant; disastrous, but not as bad. Secondly, the main problem with Chernobyl was that the local people were still eating and drinking from sources in the contaminated areas, whereas in Japan they're very likely to be thorough in their clean-ups where possible, and evacuate where not.

Not to trivialise, as it is a disaster, but Chernobyl was significantly worse than Fukushima is likely to ever be, even in a worst-case scenario.

Yep, this Japanese cartoon that explains the situation in layman's terms uses the analogy of Chernobyl being a big stinking explosive diarrhoea compared to the shit-in-a-diaper that is Fukushima -

• Paid Members
I might be telling a complete pack of lies, but I'm sure I heard recently that some of the fallout from Chernobyl reached parts of Scotland. Is that right?

I have always been under the impression that the fallout from Chernobyl went all around the world, or at least to us

I might be telling a complete pack of lies, but I'm sure I heard recently that some of the fallout from Chernobyl reached parts of Scotland. Is that right?

Depending how you determine the level of fallout, some of it reached as far as Ireland. Some farms mainly used for sheep grazing on high ground in around Tyrone and Derry were contaminated with fallout which put restrictions on livestock. I think these restrictions were lifted a few years ago. There are still a few restrictions in place around SW Scotland, Cumbria and N Wales where sheep grazing on suspect land are checked at slaughter for contaminants and if they are too high, are not allowed to enter the food chain.

Edit: Scotland has had restrictions lifted, there's an article here from the Independent back in July which says that the restrictions are mostly still in place in North Wales.

Archived