Japanese Earthquake and Tsunami

patiirc

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Seems it's not as bad as it could've been, though - mainly countryside areas affected and small areas of Tokyo.

According to the Japan Meteorological Office, the earthquake was a 4 on the Japanese earthquake scale, which measures impact - apparently the Richter scale only measures the energy of the earthquake, which can be misleading.

• Paid Members
Apparently, the CNN anchor was laughing and talking about Godzilla while watching the tsunami footage.

You would expect that from Fox News but not CNN

Biggest ever earthquake to hit Japan, but as they actually plan and prepare for this sort of thing they should sort it out pretty quickly

Seems it's not as bad as it could've been, though - mainly countryside areas affected and small areas of Tokyo.

According to the Japan Meteorological Office, the earthquake was a 4 on the Japanese earthquake scale, which measures impact - apparently the Richter scale only measures the energy of the earthquake, which can be misleading.

Its because its a shallow quake though, only 15 miles down. which is why the drama? hence the warnings, heck even Google is carrying the Tsunami alert

Bullet trains stopped and so on.

Lots of after shocks...

6.2 according to the JMS here

JMS Levels explained

• Paid Members

I've just got off the phone to my parents, who live in the Bay of Plenty, New Zealand and they're on Tsunami alert.

They're being told that it's not a precautionary alert - they're expecting it to hit. They only live a few yards from the beach, so they're far from safe.

• Paid Members
I've just got off the phone to my parents, who live in the Bay of Plenty, New Zealand and they're on Tsunami alert.

They're being told that it's not a precautionary alert - they're expecting it to hit. They only live a few yards from the beach, so they're far from safe.

Hope your folks will be fine, brownie - I'm sure they will.

A friend of mine (and KooKoocachu) is actually in Nikko in Japan atm. I'm sure she's ok, but i believe it's closer to it than Tokyo, hopefully hear from her or her family soon.

And she's just posted on facebook that she's ok.

The picture tiger_rick just posted is crazy.

• Paid Members

holy f'n shit, that picture looks like the end of the world.

Horrifying stuff, they are listing times on the news now of what time the tsnami are hitting various countries.

• Paid Members

BBC map said Phillipines was due for the Tsunami at 10am. Not heard anything yet though. Amazingly Mexico, Peru and Chile are on the Beeb's map. Can't believe it can travel that far. Hawaii was 13:07. They must be shitting themselves.

I have a number of friends who work in Osaka and Tokyo. A few of them have yet to check in, though the internet is down there obviously.

Worrying times.

The footage of the tsunami sweeping the countryside has to be one of the most horrific things I've ever seen.

Archived