Japanese Earthquake and Tsunami

patiirc

• Awards Moderator

The images I've seen so far are astonishing. I've got a friend who lives just outside Tokyo and although they've not been as affected as some areas, I've just dropped him a line to see if he's okay. Christ knows what must be going through the minds of those who are on alert.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope the scale of this is being exaggerated for the sake of sensationalism by the news media. It does not appear so, however.

If you're already seeing footage of it, then that's not necessarily an area where help is needed. It's the remote areas with no viable landing/refuelling areas or power right now that are bearing the brunt of it. A horrible feeling too that some of the smaller Pacific islands are really going to cop it in the coming hours. These are scary times.

• Paid Members
The Red Cross has warned that the tsunami waves could wash right over some Pacific islands as the wave is curently higher than some of them.

That pretty much sums up the potential aftermath of this.

Ditto, just confirmed that my mate and his brother are ok. Early reports are that the predicted tsunami isn't hitting its predicted targets, so it might be the world has dodged another bullet.

Does anyone here still think the number of natural disasters hasn't been escalating in recent years? It can't just be improved news services that mean we find out about them better, surely?

• Paid Members

This is just dreadful. Seeing the waves just slowly advancing is terrifying, they just look so serene and harmless and then they destroy everything. I think that is what makes it even scarier.

Archived