Japanese Earthquake and Tsunami

patiirc

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Apparently, the CNN anchor was laughing and talking about Godzilla while watching the tsunami footage.

I came in here to make this exact post as there has been lots of angry posts on Facebook and Twitter about it. You'd expect better from a mainstream news outlet with an international audience of millions.

Twitter really proves its worth in situations like this, I've learned more about the real scale of the disaster by reading eyewitness accounts and photos than from the actual news reports.

Apparently, the CNN anchor was laughing and talking about Godzilla while watching the tsunami footage.

I came in here to make this exact post as there has been lots of angry posts on Facebook and Twitter about it. You'd expect better from a mainstream news outlet with an international audience of millions.

Twitter really proves its worth in situations like this, I've learned more about the real scale of the disaster by reading eyewitness accounts and photos than from the actual news reports.

This does seem like a stitch-up. For all the complaining about it, nobody seems to have seen it first hand. I'd like to think no anchorman at a major news outlet would be that tasteless. Feel free to disprove me with a Youtube clip if I'm wrong.

I've been watching the news for the last 12 hours. Doesn't matter how often they trot out the same scenes with the wall of water, or the cars and houses being swept away, or the towering flames, or the scared-shitless office workers, you find yourself glued in a morbid way. It really feels the same at 9/11 in that you watch the latest developments unfold, feeling equal parts helpless, voyeuristic and horrified. So far the expected tsunami toll in other parts of the world seems to have been exaggerated which is some comfort. Time to switch off and hope that the expected human cost in this catastrophe somehow, miraculously turns out to have been overstated.

• Awards Moderator

Jesus Christ. I'm only just getting in and seeing images from throughout the Day. The footage of a wave of water carrying vehicles, buildings, debris and trawlers inland whilst on fire is just sickening. My friend in Chile has just said they've been told they're due to get hit at around 00:20 their time, but it looks like the waves should have reduced in size. She's fucking petrified though.

• Paid Members
Jesus Christ. I'm only just getting in and seeing images from throughout the Day. The footage of a wave of water carrying vehicles, buildings, debris and trawlers inland whilst on fire is just sickening.

This.

Fuuuuck me, Mother Nature can be a scary bitch.

http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2212091220057336064sMKSKA

This was taken by a friends relative of Christchurch when the New Zealand earthquake hit.

Or this link http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/5798814...?vhost=outdoors

Tomorrow's Newspaper headlines...

The Times: Massive earthquake and tsunami devastates Japan

Daily Telegraph: Tsunami hits Japan after 8.9 earthquake

The Mirror: Mega quake strikes Japan

Daily Star: GODZILLA KILLA!

Archived