Japanese Earthquake and Tsunami

patiirc

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
I've just got off the phone to my parents, who live in the Bay of Plenty, New Zealand and they're on Tsunami alert.

They're being told that it's not a precautionary alert - they're expecting it to hit. They only live a few yards from the beach, so they're far from safe.

That's awful brownie, hope everything works out ok. One of my closest friends is travelling New Zealand, he only left a week ago and yesterday he was talking about being by the beach. Fingers crossed for them all.

From what I read, apparently it wont hit NZ (if it does at all) until around 6.30am our time, so at least they should have plenty of time to evacuate.

Edit: Here's the report I found.

Marine tsunami warning issued in New Zealand after Japan quake

English.news.cn 2011-03-11 19:12:00 FeedbackPrintRSS

WELLINGTON, March 11 (Xinhua) -- New Zealand Civil Defence has issued a marine tsunami warning for New Zealand after a magnitude 8.9 earthquake struck Japan on Friday, but said it does not expect it to pose a threat for people on land.

A wave of up to 1 meter may reach the coasts of the central and northern North Island from about 6:30 a.m. local time Saturday, but the first arrival was expected to coincide with a low tide.

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center said in an 8:30 p.m. (NZ time) bulletin a tsunami warning was in place for New Zealand, Australia and most countries bordering the Pacific Ocean.

"The New Zealand Tsunami Expert Panel assessment is that this is a marine threat only for New Zealand," Civil Defence said just after 10 p.m.

"A Marine Threat means strong and unusual currents are possible in the sea, rivers and estuaries. No land threat is expected at this time," it added.

Past experience and tsunami models indicated that the largest impact would be a wave of up to 1 meter reaching East Cape northwards and from Kaipara northwards.

Waves would continue for several hours, and the first one may not be the largest, Civil Defence warned.

The last place expected to be hit would be Nelson, about 11:15 a.m. Saturday.

The Ministry of Civil Defence Emergency Management and scientific advisors were closely monitoring the situation to determine the severity of the threat to New Zealand.

People in New Zealand coastal areas were warned to stay off beaches and out of the water.

• Paid Members
now 'more than 90' dead.

Pointless worrying about the death toll, it'll be thousands.

Some right posts on twitter, some dumb shit and some corkers. "Hurricane Katrina" is trending, cue tons of tweets aking "Why is Hurrican Katrina trending?" which makes it trand even more. Plus some awesome tweets about "self-centred American bastards".

Also "Tokyo Disneyland" is trending because a load of pictures going around of it "flooding". Except it's a fake lake which is part of one of their attractions.

Top trending twitter topic is "#prayforjapan". If there was a God, it's his fucking fault, what's the point in praying?

An area 4.5km x 2.5km is on fire!

Looks like WW2 bombing footage... like the Blitz or Dresden This is so severely fucked up its untrue

300 dead.... yeah double it and then some :(

Is it just me, or when you see that whirlpool clip, you think "I wonder if that boat's going to get sucked in?" I hope they made it out of there, or are researchers or something.

The petrochemical plant is scary, but it does remind me of when we dropped those big bunker busters on Saddam's palace in Bagdad, and that was in the center of a city.

• Paid Members

The newest 'bbc footage sent from japan' is completely fucked. Its been showing hand held cam footage of when the tsunami hit, cars on roads (driving) being swept off roads, houses being ripped from the ground with people on top of houses.

(people now 'buying' supplies from stores).

Its a crazy as fuck situation, im guessing this time tomorrow (after daylight hits Japan) the death toll we rise by 1000's

truely fucking horrible

• Paid Members

This morning it clips of cars floating down the streets. Then there were clips of boats being swept inland and floating down the streets. Now there's clips of houses floating down the streets.

Archived