Japanese Earthquake and Tsunami

patiirc

• Paid Members

I'm surprised anyone expects anything less from Sky really.

I've gotten the word from my friend over in New Zealand that he's fine and well and that the Tsunami warning over there has been lifted for now, very pleased as I was hoping not to wake up this morning hearing of anything bad happening there (it was originally thought a tsunami might strike the country around 6.30 this morning).

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Had a scout around the news channels early this morning. NHK World, which is a Japanese channel, strangely deemed to be a bit behind. Sky had some stuff that BBC didn't. In terms of videos.

Fox and CNN weren't interested.

I would day the BBC are doing the best job. Balanced reporting as opposed to the sensationalistic Sky reporting. The BBC can come across as staid though.

Still doesn't seem much new information coming out though.

Way to much is being made of the Fukushima explosion.

• Paid Members

It's not just Sky, it's the tin foil hat parade alongside the less educated. Having to really bite my tongue on Twitter etc, there's no point in telling them as you would be talking to a brick wall. Earlier when Sky were interviewing that 'Nuclear power expert' was cringe worthy.

• Paid Members
It's not just Sky, it's the tin foil hat parade alongside the less educated. Having to really bite my tongue on Twitter etc, there's no point in telling them as you would be talking to a brick wall. Earlier when Sky were interviewing that 'Nuclear power expert' was cringe worthy.

homer-simpson.jpg

Just as a point of order, there was no niclear explosion at the Chernobyl nuclear reactor either. There was a regular explosion, following a failed shutdown, which threw radioactive material into the air and created a radioactive cloud.

So, in many respects this IS looking quite like Chernobyl 2.

• Awards Moderator
They have extended the evacuation zone from 10 to 20km. Really worrying.

Also, unconfirmed reports telling us to stay indoors and keep all doors and windows closed. Do not mind telling you I am bricking it at the moment.

Are you in central Tokyo, or on the outskirts? My friend lives in Matsudo-shi in Chiba which isn't that far from Tokyo. I've not heard back from him and had been hoping it was just down to lack of power. Worrying.

Also, unconfirmed reports telling us to stay indoors and keep all doors and windows closed. Do not mind telling you I am bricking it at the moment.

Are you in central Tokyo, or on the outskirts? My friend lives in Matsudo-shi in Chiba which isn't that far from Tokyo. I've not heard back from him and had been hoping it was just down to lack of power. Worrying.

Central Tokyo. Walking distance from Shibuya station.

Also reports of potential acid rain from the Chiba oil refinery fire. Possibly a hoax but disconcerting all the same.

How have you tried to contact your friend? Phone reception was still quite patchy today.

Also, we have been told to conserve power so he might be offline for that reason.

• Awards Moderator

How have you tried to contact your friend? Phone reception was still quite patchy today.

Also, we have been told to conserve power so he might be offline for that reason.

Yeah, I tried to call yesterday and about an hour ago and the line is dead. It's a number he was using when I met him on his travels so I'm hoping that it's a now defunct number. I've emailed him and sent him a message through Facebook, too. Thanks for the update in your other reply about Chiba, hopefully it is a hoax.

• Paid Members
apparently Satoshi Tajiri the creator of Pokemon was killed in the Tsunami

I thought that was a hoax?

it was

http://www.serebii.net/index2.shtml

Currently, as I am sure many of you are aware, Japan is facing the aftermath of the earthquake and the tsunami which hit the north-eastern part of Japan centred around the city of Sendai. While Sendai was hit by the resultant tsunami, the epicentre was far from Tokyo and Kyoto, the bases of Nintendo and GameFreak. Nintendo have confirmed that their Japanese staff are all well and there was no structural damage to their buildings. There are currently various rumours going around that the creator of Satoshi Tajiri has passed. This is just mere false rumour so it's best to ignore it. We'll keep you aprised of any developments relating to Pok

Archived