Japanese Earthquake and Tsunami

patiirc

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To put it into perspective though, this incident is already worse than 3 Mile Island, according to experts. So while it may not be as bad as Chernobyl, there are a LOT more people in close proximity to the Fukushima plant. So if Reactor 4 were to go critical and re-ignite, it could be pretty bad.

• Moderators
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3TM9GL2iLI

Dog refuses to leave injured friend. This had me a little misty eyed, I have to admit.

There's no way I can watch that, I'll cry like a little girl. Dogs are the best.

I bawled :(

I put off watching this clip until now, as dogs are my emotional achilles heel.

Current status: WEEPING LIKE BABY

• Paid Members
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3TM9GL2iLI

Dog refuses to leave injured friend. This had me a little misty eyed, I have to admit.

There's no way I can watch that, I'll cry like a little girl. Dogs are the best.

I bawled :(

I put off watching this clip until now, as dogs are my emotional achilles heel.

Current status: WEEPING LIKE BABY

I relented. Heartbreaking. Those dogs better get found a new home.

• Paid Members

I thought the other dog was dead at first, but then he moved when his mate sat on his head.

Theres a facebook link in the description and it says they are both in a vet clinic and are looking for the owners. At least they are both alive and safe.

• Awards Moderator

The nuclear accident level has been raised, from 4 to 5.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-12783832

Japan has raised the accident level at a stricken nuclear plant from four to five on a seven-point international danger scale for atomic accidents.

The move places the crisis at the Fukushima Daiichi site two levels below Ukraine's Chernobyl 1986 disaster.

The head of the UN's nuclear watchdog warned in Tokyo meanwhile that the battle to stabilise the plant was a race against the clock.

The crisis was triggered by last week's 9.0-magnitude quake and tsunami.

The Japanese nuclear agency's decision to raise the alert level to five classifies the Fukushima situation as an "accident with wider consequences".

It also places the crisis on a par with Three Mile Island nuclear accident in the US in 1979.

• Paid Members

from inside a driving car as the wave hits. Fuck Me!

Description said the driver stayed in his car till the waves receded and survived. Was there not a predicted impact time given out? A few of the videos I've watched, I notice cars driving along roads.

• Paid Members

Yeah. I just read a Time article that said the worst hit areas only had about 15 minutes warning.

I think because it was being talked about throughout the day in the UK, I figured the gap was a lot longer.

Is DJ Stevie C over there?

No, but thanks for the thought.

I've managed to contact my friends in Osaka and Tokyo, everyone's fine if a little stressed.

A lot of what's going on now is press scaremongering, things are getting under control.

Horrifying watching though. I still stop every time they show the Tsunami sweeping away entire towns.

The other night one of my friends told me that this is going to be worse than the "Chernobyl bomb". When I asked what the "Chernobyl bomb" was I was asked how I hadn't heard about the "Nuclear bomb that was dropped on Chernobyl a few years ago". I asked him if he understood the difference between a meltdown and a bombing and he just looked at me like I was the stupid one. People, eh?

But all week I've listened to armchair experts talking about what Japan should be doing right now. It's incredible really, I never knew that there were so many Nuclear physicists with backgrounds in large-scale disaster management so close to me.

Archived