Documentary Thread #2

Egg Shen

Onyx, have you seen the Paradise Lost trilogy? It's the same subject. The first was filmed during the actual trial, the second while they were imprisoned, and the third in the same time frame as West of Memphis. Check them out if you haven't, they're really good.

Unfortunately, the thing that lets WOM down is the hypocrisy of scolding the West Memphis police department for pointing the finger at the three kids without any real evidence, then doing more or less the exact same thing with the one stepdad. Paradise Lost also does this in the second film with the other stepdad, only more obvious.

Still, they're all fascinating documentaries.

Edited by Slapnut

• Awards Moderator

Onyx, have you seen the Paradise Lost trilogy? It's the same subject. The first was filmed during the actual trial, the second while they were imprisoned, and the third in the same time frame as West of Memphis. Check them out if you haven't, they're really good.

Unfortunately, the thing that lets WOM down is the hypocrisy of scolding the West Memphis police department for pointing the finger at the three kids without any real evidence, then doing more or less the exact same thing with the one stepdad. Paradise Lost also does this in the second film with the other stepdad, only more obvious.

Still, they're all fascinating documentaries.

I haven't seen them, they are referenced in the film so I'll track those down. Do you know if they're available legit anywhere?

Totally agree on the needless second witchhunt. Also dredging a load of gossip up about him which, while ghastly is not directly relevant to whether he did it or not. They could've chopped 20 mins of the film out.

• Paid Members

Just watched 'Dreams of a life' about Joyce Vincent. A woman who died in her flat and was undiscovered for three years and they try to piece her life. Really entertaining stuff.

Yeah, that's a good one. FilmFour have shown it a few times. Such a bizarre story. Looked like she was the life and soul of the party then didn't leave her flat again. Nobody contacted her. Really sad documentary.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

There was a discussion on here quite recently about the deep/dark web. I've just seen Deep Web has been added to Netflix UK. Well worth a watch, it's about the Silk Road marketplace.

Aye, that's a good one. "Silk Road" story is such an interesting tale. I've been looking around the Dark Web recently and the whole thing is fascinating. Mostly looking around the drug markets and not ordering.

Dark Web Drugs Markets even have their own forum, which can be quite funny at times. NSFW

https://www.reddit.com/r/DarkNetMarkets/

Edited by bAzTNM#1

• Paid Members

Watched ‘Prescription Thugs’ on Netflix last night. Highly recommended! It’s the second film from Chris Bell (his first being the roid doc Bigger, Faster Stronger). He’s the brother of former WWE jobber Mike Bell (famous for taking that pasting from Perry Saturn) & it looks at the pharma business in the USA & the immense problem they have over there with prescription drug abuse. This features appearances from a couple of former WWE guys & UFC fighter Chris Leben who basically admits he was going through cold turkey whilst getting battered in the cage by Brian Stann.

I work in pharmaceuticals & the difference between the market here & in the USA is fascinating. The relationship between doctor & patient when medicine is practically treated as a free market seems crazy. The idea you’d walk into your GP’s office & basically just say ‘My foot hurts, I’d like some opiates please’, hand over the cash & walk out with a script for Morphine is baffling. There’s an older VICE documentary online called ‘The Oxycontin Express’ which is also well worth a watch.

• Paid Members

Luther Reigns is in it for quite a bit of time. Looks good for somebody that had a serious drug problem and a massive stroke. Ryan Sakoda is in it too and he goes down in tears. Sad to watch really.

Edited by bAzTNM#1