Documentary Thread #2

Egg Shen

Yeah I don't watch sports of any kind but I have loved the 30 for 30 docs I've seen so far. Have watched the Scott Hall, Sonics, Broke and LA Raiders ones, and the one about the fan who got in the way of the baseball catch.

Just excellent stuff overall. To be honest, for me, a documentary about people being passionate about something, with great characters, is always a win for me, and I suppose sport gives itself up to those qualities.

• 4 weeks later...

I just watched Dear Zachary: A Letter to a Son About His Father. That was tough, didn't know anything about it before watching and it completely caught me off gaurd. There is some staggering stuff in there, stuff you just can't believe happened. Definatly recommend. :sneaky:

Edited by lava_boy

• Paid Members

ive got a copy of that knocking about, i'll get on it.

I saw Standard Operating Procedure the other night, the doc. focuses on the infamous photo's taken in the Iraqi prison Arbu Ghraib, it's a bit of a tough watch and it'll stir up some anger at the sheer lack of humility on display whilst you watch it but it was an eye opener. There's a few similar doc's on the same subject matter i plan on watching.

• Paid Members

I just watched Dear Zachary: A Letter to a Son About His Father. That was tough, didn't know anything about it before watching and it completely caught me off gaurd. There is some staggering stuff in there, stuff you just can't believe happened. Definatly recommend. :sneaky:

Dear Zachary left me in bits. One to avoid when you've got the emotional hangover, that's for sure.

Will be sure to check those two out. Thanks, chaps.Watched The Two Escobars, which was ace, and watching that Oliver Stone secret history of the US thing on Sky Atlantic. It's like good Oliver Stone movies, engrossing but you wonder how much is true.

• Paid Members

I'm with you Rohpete. Vice is one the best things on TV at minute. They cover two subjects in 30 mins which shouldn't work but it does. Well worth checking out. A wide variety of subjects covered but it does feature a lot of middle east issues at start.

• Paid Members

Yeah I don't watch sports of any kind but I have loved the 30 for 30 docs I've seen so far. Have watched the Scott Hall, Sonics, Broke and LA Raiders ones, and the one about the fan who got in the way of the baseball catch.

"Without Bias" and "Tim Richmond: To the Limit" both left me bubbling from that series. I remember watching the two of them on Youtube.EDIT: Added links to the documentary on Youtube.

• Paid Members

I'm with you Rohpete. Vice is one the best things on TV at minute. They cover two subjects in 30 mins which shouldn't work but it does. Well worth checking out. A wide variety of subjects covered but it does feature a lot of middle east issues at start.

ive only seen the first episode so far, ive got a few to watch though. I've been a fan of the VICE channel on youtube for a while, need to get back on it.

King Of Kong is a must. Featuring the heavy in my sig.

Finally got round to this.What a fucking asshole Billy Mitchell is - for some reason with all the sig/avatar love for him on here I'd assumed he was some sort of hero. The film-makers certainly paint him as the villain, and it's a role he excels at. I thought it was interesting though, reading up afterwards, that he did eventually beat Steve Wiebe's score, in front of a crowd, on the 25th anniversary of his original monster score. So he wasn't the burnt-out fantasist the film implied.Overall, though, the whole thing was really sad, a look into some really strange and obsessive lives. I could understand Mitchell and Wiebe, and Walter Day to a certain extent, but some of the Mitchell-maniacs were just utterly depressing, particularly Brian Kuh, who's life was defined by not being as good at Donkey Kong as his hero, and that videotape referee as well.I absolutely loved videogames back in the 80s and 90s, so it was particularly weird to see all these people stuck in this sort of bizarre timewarp where the world hasn't moved on since about 1983, and some of those people weren't even born then. All those run-down, slightly seedy looking venues as well.Billy's hot sauce looked good though.

King Of Kong is a must. Featuring the heavy in my sig.

Finally got round to this.What a fucking asshole Billy Mitchell is - for some reason with all the sig/avatar love for him on here I'd assumed he was some sort of hero. The film-makers certainly paint him as the villain, and it's a role he excels at. I thought it was interesting though, reading up afterwards, that he did eventually beat Steve Wiebe's score, in front of a crowd, on the 25th anniversary of his original monster score. So he wasn't the burnt-out fantasist the film implied.Overall, though, the whole thing was really sad, a look into some really strange and obsessive lives. I could understand Mitchell and Wiebe, and Walter Day to a certain extent, but some of the Mitchell-maniacs were just utterly depressing, particularly Brian Kuh, who's life was defined by not being as good at Donkey Kong as his hero, and that videotape referee as well.I absolutely loved videogames back in the 80s and 90s, so it was particularly weird to see all these people stuck in this sort of bizarre timewarp where the world hasn't moved on since about 1983, and some of those people weren't even born then. All those run-down, slightly seedy looking venues as well.Billy's hot sauce looked good though.
Caught this on Netflix a few weeks back and agree, its an excellent documentary. Mitchell / Wiebe reminds me a lot of Flair / Steamboat. And as for the Mitchell disciples, no more needs to be said.Also, at one point during it, there is a photo with Billy Mitchell and someone who is or looks very similar to Stu Hart. Will have to watch it again and find this part.Since the documentary the scores of Mitchell and Wiebe have been beaten by several others (although Wiebe has the higher score of the two): http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.co.uk/2011/...ong-scores.htmlAlso, Indie Game The Movie is a great documentary too.

[Finally got round to this.What a fucking asshole Billy Mitchell is - for some reason with all the sig/avatar love for him on here I'd assumed he was some sort of hero. The film-makers certainly paint him as the villain, and it's a role he excels at.

I watched this after it being recommended in this thread this morning.The makers state that Mitchell was even worse a character than they made out amazingly. I have to agree some of the people involved I found disturbing, only Wiebe came across as a normal man with a "hobby" rather than a anorak. I cannot fault Mitchell for being successful, but the rest seemed a sorry bunch to say the least.I enjoyed it and would recommend it if you are after a bit of harmless fun, Dear Zachery is only one I would advise if you do not mind your heart-strings seriously getting tugged out as it was one of the most disturbing documentaries I have seen. For good reason Louis Theroux rated it in his top 10 documentaries he has seen, but it is very upsetting. Edited by jimufctna24

• Awards Moderator

Did anyone catch Charles Bradley: Soul of America on BBC4 last Friday? It was superb. I'd heard bits about Bradley and his late emergence on the Blues scene, but seeing the story of his quality of life, relationship with his mother (which was wonderful) and loss of his brother has had me tracking down all of his work.

For those who don't know, he secured his first album deal at the age of 62 and whilst there are similarly talented artists in and around most Blues, Jazz and Soul scenes across the world, his personality and story make him a joy to watch. Not just singing, but talking in general and he seems genuinely appreciate of finally getting his break but all he wants to do is look after his Mum.

Here's a better description at IMDB and a link to the

You don't have to be a Blues fan to appreciate this, but if you are you get the bonus of some cracking vocals.

EDIT: it's on the iPlayer.

Edited by Frankie Crisp