Radio Ga-Ga

Devon Malcolm

Chicken Soup For the Soul (well for me anyway)

I used to listen to Capital all the time when I lived in London. Did a morning paper round and had the radio on every morning. Used to love the Chris Tarrant Breakfast show. Any one remember this:

I miss enjoying the radio this much

• 3 months later...
  • Paid Members

Who listens to Craig Charles' Funk And Soul Show? And if not, why not? Not usually my kind of music but he plays some fantastic stuff. Possibly my favourite radio show right now with Radcliffe & Maconie.

• Paid Members

I went through a period of listening to this religiously a few years ago. No idea why I stopped, because I remember it being class. Might have to get back into it.

Its funny you should bring it up, because I was chatting to someone the other day that Craig Charles is the ultimate survivor in British entertainment isn't he? Accusations of rape, jail time, crack and wanking in the back of a taxi hasn't killed his career. In 2012, he's on Corrie, on BBC Radio, Red Dwarf's back and Challenge TV and Dave must be sending cheques out to him every other day. He's never off the nostalgia channels. Good on him.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members
I went through a period of listening to this religiously a few years ago. No idea why I stopped, because I remember it being class. Might have to get back into it.

Its funny you should bring it up, because I was chatting to someone the other day that Craig Charles is the ultimate survivor in British entertainment isn't he? Accusations of rape, jail time, crack and wanking in the back of a taxi hasn't killed his career. In 2012, he's on Corrie, on BBC Radio, Red Dwarf's back and Challenge TV and Dave must be sending cheques out to him every other day. He's never off the nostalgia channels. Good on him.

He's DJing a Funk & Soul night in a club near me in Darlington soon/just recently too.

• Paid Members

Mrs Small was saying the same thing the other day. He even survived Funky Bunker and Captain Butler. He's indestructible.

• Paid Members

Mrs Small was saying the same thing the other day. He even survived Funky Bunker and Captain Butler. He's indestructible.

He was saying in an interview type thing he made a mint on Takashi's castle and spent most of the time drinking while he dubbed it over.

On the same day Foley stopped by to say hello and catch up with him, which was surreal.

I remember watching a film with him in when he was very young. All I can remember is it started with him working in a kitchen and hitting some one with a ladle.

I'll have to try and dig up some info on it.

• 5 months later...

I'd heard of Nigel Ogden presents The Organist Entertains in the Radio 2 listings for some time, but never been near a radio at such a time as to actually hear it. Over the last couple of weeks though, I've gradually been dipping my toe more and more into internet streaming of radio stations, and using the wonderful listen again feature on the BBC website. Today, with time specifically set aside for solitary music exploration, I finally listened to the show.

Don't get me wrong, purist organ music isn't something I'd listen to non-stop forever, but at 30 minutes in length, this show is just long enough to satisfy the curiosity without becoming a chore. Ogden himself seems a knowledgeable and calmly spoken guy, perfect for hosting the show.

So as an introduction to different styles and instruments (such as theatre pipe organs, the Wurlitzer 625 and the mighty Hammond X5) I found this quite an interesting and pleasant experience. The first couple of tracks on the show, driven by pipe organ type instruments invoked nostalgic memories of trips to Blackpool as a child, whilst the electronic organ music in the middle of the show reminded me both of the beautiful Clavoline instrument used on some of Del Shannon's music, and also gave me a passing reminiscence of 8-Bit video game scores. Funnily enough, video game music was the first thing that came to my 4 year old son's mind when I showed him some of the electronic organ music I was listening to.

I loved little touches in the show like Ogden actually telling the listener where the exact organs used on the tracks now physically reside. Scotland seems quite the hotspot for some of the really vintage organs featured on this show. Personally, I think I enjoyed the Hammond X5 track (at around 10:10) the most of those featured here. There's just a magical, intangible quality about the sound of that instrument. The last track on the show is also a beautiful medley of well known tunes, including Rule Britannia.

Rye_Wurlitzer_Organ.jpg

Wurlitzer instrument, similar to those played on this show

If my pouring of love has got you curious or even sparked a passing interest as to what this show is all about, you have 3 days to access the link included at the top of this post before it expires. As far as I know, there is one 30 minute show per week, so you'll be able to catch any future shows at your leisure. According to Wikipedia, this program has been going since 1969!

• Moderators

The Organist Entertains and Friday Night is Music Night are utter aural hell, as far as I'm concerned. Along with Alan Titchmarsh's show on a Sunday.

I suppose the only UK radio I really listen to now is Ken Bruce (waiting for him to put on Birdland or MacArthur Park so you know he's nipped for a fag) and Johnnie Walker. I used to fucking hate The Jimmy Young Programme as a child however. My old man worked on the lorries in a sleeper cab and when it was half term he'd take me with him as a nice little gallavant around the UK. Until he tuned 40. And then it was Radio 2. And this is OLD Radio 2. Not the Radio 2 we know now. A Radio 2 consisting of Vera fucking Lynn and seemingly Take 5 every few songs. I wouldn't be fucking surprised if Derek bastard Jameson was there at the time as well.

Still, the one thing The Jimmy Young Programme had going for it was it's fun and jaunty jingle.

Edited by PowerButchi

• Paid Members

Have been listening to a lot of 6 Music recently. Without a doubt my favorite station right now. If you can get past a couple of things (utter love affair with Richard Hawley for example) it's got some cracking music on it. Sean Keaveny, Lauren Laverne and Steve Lamaq are all imminently listenable and Stuart Maconie's Freakzone is a constant on a Sunday night for me. Add me to the love with the Craig Charles show as well, catch it a couple of times a month if I can.

On the flip side, 5 Live phone in shows (usually around 10 in the morning) are shockingly crap. Listened to one the other day with genuine bewilderment on how they found the people phoning in.

• Paid Members
Anyone else listen to Cabin Fever? It's a Radio 4 comedy with Benedict Bumbersnatch or whatever his name is. It's really funny, in an old school British sitcom way.

Cabin Pressure. I really like it, its got a great cast; Stephanie Cole, Roger Allam and as you mention, Humbert Hoobastank. Sticks out a mile from other Radio 4 comedy shows at the moment in that it's actually quite funny. That fantasy piss-take thing with Alistair McGowan doing a bad Rowan Atkinson impression is just atrocious. I've had funnier bouts of flu.

Anyone else listen to Cabin Fever? It's a Radio 4 comedy with Benedict Bumbersnatch or whatever his name is. It's really funny, in an old school British sitcom way.

Cabin Pressure. I really like it, its got a great cast; Stephanie Cole, Roger Allam and as you mention, Humbert Hoobastank. Sticks out a mile from other Radio 4 comedy shows at the moment in that it's actually quite funny. That fantasy piss-take thing with Alistair McGowan doing a bad Rowan Atkinson impression is just atrocious. I've had funnier bouts of flu.

That's the fella. Genuinely funny, though I don't know if it would translate to tv.

The fantasy thing's been going for a few seasons now, and as you say it's cod-Blackadder. I didn't realised It was MGowan, he's always terrible in everything so that explains it.

I was a bit of a fan of Count Arthur Strong's Radio Show when it was on. Bizarre character, and the first time you hear it you think "what is this shit?" but it's a grower and I'd love to see him live.